Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch...

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #21  
Moss road, sorry to hear about your "situation", .I agree on the horses, they are a beautiful, nostalgic animal, but they are also like having more kids.

Keep up with the counseling and do what you can to save your biggest commitment in life. Pick your battle wisely.

Dont want to get all religious on everyone, but here is great verse that has hope.

" I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 KJV

Wish you much luck.

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #22  
Moss,

Real sorry to hear about your troubles.

Horses are a PITA and I swear they can hurt a marriage. My wifey bought a %^&*() horse right before our first child was born. It was SUCH a deal she said. :rolleyes: Bovine Scat. I and the family told her she was making a mistake but she would not listen, she had the bit in her teeth. She was not going to be able to ride much with the first kid on the way and everyone told her she would not have TIME after the child was born. But did she listen? Heck NO! She RODE the horse not more than 3-6 times. :shocked::mad: We had a house in the city and no land so she work out a deal with stable to care for the horse in exchange for using the horse in their riding school.

$%^&*() stable owner and a farrier conspired to make the horse lame hoping to buy the horse cheap. Wifey spent a dang fortune on the horse until we figured out what was happening. She then moves the horse to a guys farm in some sort of wacky deal were the guy would care for the horse while his kids used the horse. He would buy the horse if it all worked out. Course it because a battle to get the buy to pay up. Not sure if we ever got the money from that $%^&*( horse and it sure made things tense around the house for quite awhile.

The good thing is that it is in the past and she got this horse stuff out of her system.

Owning rural property is likely to overwhelm one with chores. Having critters to take care of makes things that much more busy. My new life mantra is "I was not born to mow grass." Last year I mowed ONCE. Yep, just once. :shocked: Still have some tall weeds that need to be mowed but they will wait until the grass grows again. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

We have a temporary well house I built in 2004. It is 2013 and we still are using that sad, pathetic, ugly, trashy well house. I keep a budget in a spreadsheet and there has been a line item to build a proper well house for years. It is in the 2013 budget but who knows if it will be built.

In my work life, I have to prioritize because with off shoring of jobs, doing more with less is a way of life. Being able to prioritize is critical. I do it at work and I do it at home. Which is more important a family vacation or a better looking well house? :D:D:D THAT is an easy decision. :laughing::laughing::laughing: Same thing with mowing the grass since we are the only ones that see the yard. We want to put up a fence around our place but that will be years in the future due to time and money. Most likely it will never happen. We want to expand our garden and plant an orchard as well as berry bushes. Last summer we paid to get some trees bull dozed to enlarge the garden but it will be at least a year before I can clean up the trees. I have been trying to work on the mess for weeks but I have been sick and it has been raining so much I thought about building an Ark. :confused3::laughing::laughing::laughing:

The plan for this weekend was to take a 1/2 of vacation on Friday. Did not happen and I ended up working 13 hours. Saturday was to be a beer making day but I saw a class pop up at the local community college that I wanted to take. The class is only two hours over three Saturdays but that is going to affect what chores get down this month and this is a good month for chores if we don't have rain. The class got a higher priority than other chores. Beer is a high priority though. :drink::D:D:D I might brew today but it will take all day and with the time change I really don't want to get wore out going into Monday. This Monday will be a very long day which will tire me out until Wednesday.... Just talked myself out of brewing today. :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing:

One of my kids and the wifey wanted chickens. :rolleyes: After two years of hearing how they will take care of the chickens yada yada yada, I built the chicken tank. They do take care of the chickens but it is a PITA and it costs us more to feed them than it does to buy eggs. :eek: When the kid balks at taking care of the chickens I have an easy response, I just mention Chicken and Dumplings, Fried Chicken, etc and the chores get done. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Prioritize.

Family comes first.

The land will be here long after we are gone.

Later,
Dan

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #23  
David, I am sure sorry to hear about this. I can't improve on the advice given by others. We have been down the road with horses and kids and it never ended well; too much work. Any livestock brings its problems and rewards and requires commitment by all involved and if they don't have that it is best to just get out as those left holding the bag so to speak will resent it.

From your signature line, I see you have a lot going on at your place and with your work, I don't think you will ever keep up. Going to a maintenance only mode such as keeping it groomed only will free up time and obligations on your wife and children. This might allow you to keep your property to ramp back up to a manageable level when you retire or can be there enough to take on the major part of taking care of the property.

I may be way off base, but I think you are dealing with more than just the horses and farm chores and regardless of which way you go on them other issues are at play which won't be solved by getting rid of them or any modifications we have suggested.

Our suggestions and advice are put forward with the best of intent, but in the end none of us know enough about your situation to point out anything which hasn't already occurred to you so we offer our condolences and best wishes that things will work out for you.

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #24  
i second what was said here,good luck buddy.
David, I am sure sorry to hear about this. I can't improve on the advice given by others. We have been down the road with horses and kids and it never ended well; too much work. Any livestock brings its problems and rewards and requires commitment by all involved and if they don't have that it is best to just get out as those left holding the bag so to speak will resent it.

From your signature line, I see you have a lot going on at your place and with your work, I don't think you will ever keep up. Going to a maintenance only mode such as keeping it groomed only will free up time and obligations on your wife and children. This might allow you to keep your property to ramp back up to a manageable level when you retire or can be there enough to take on the major part of taking care of the property.

I may be way off base, but I think you are dealing with more than just the horses and farm chores and regardless of which way you go on them other issues are at play which won't be solved by getting rid of them or any modifications we have suggested.

Our suggestions and advice are put forward with the best of intent, but in the end none of us know enough about your situation to point out anything which hasn't already occurred to you so we offer our condolences and best wishes that things will work out for you.

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #25  
Advertise the horses, or call the nearest livestock auction. VDACS - Marketing Services - Livestock Marketing - Auctions Find out when they're having the next sale. If you don't have a trailer to haul them, (or the time to do it) have the auction barn send someone out to pick them up. Around here, you can have them hauled for a very modest fee.
Just getting rid of the horses will give you some breathing room. Hopefully, the situation will improve from there.

I wish you the best, my friend. Holler if you need something.

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #26  
i second what was said here,good luck buddy.

I agree, there is more than horses involved here. You have a lot more patience than I. I'd go nuclear if my wife didn't pitch in. I travel on biz a bit, and she takes care of things just fine. We are in this together, and we haven't had a argument in years.

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #27  
David, I suspect there are a lot of us that have had to revise our plans because we were not clarevoyant. The only people who haven't had to change their plans are the ones who haven't ever made any plans.
Best of luck to you.

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #28  
David, I wish you the best my friend.

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch...
Later today I am contacting the rescue we originally got the horses from to schedule them to come and get them.

March 8th was their 14th month here...

Thanks for all of the support and well wishes.

Be well all,
David

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #30  
David hope everything goes well with the horses today.hopfully this will help things on the home front.God bless and be safe.