Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch...

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #31  
Takes a special breed of women to be farm/ranch wife ... first things first you must make life for the women in your life as simple as possible. Very few want to or even have the desire to put on the muck boots, tramp out in cold blistery weather to do anything let alone handle outside chores... get those horse's gone today even if you have to drop them off at the stockyard. There are some however who are in the midstream of the farm/ranch and you simply can not get them away from it.

Make life for the girls simple ... auto feeders and auto waters for the ducks and chickens. Anything that makes it easy for them to cope with the reality of farm. This too will make it easier for you... when your out of town and touch base at home you'll find them saying "All is well" ... it won't stop there. If the girls have a garden ... buy a small "girl tiller" that they can handle (just throwing things out there)... don't expect them to clean the chicken pen or coop ... do it together when your home.

I married a city girl 25 years ago whose dream was to be a farm/ranch wife ... she soon found out she was not geared for it and I had to change my way of thinking about my lifes partner ... I no longer ask her to drive the tractors ... feed the cows ... put out horse hay. She loves her garden, yard and swimming pool. She has every available garden and yard tool they make... kinda like the tools of the trade.

In the summer when I'm cutting hay, rakeing, baling or just doing farm/ranch work ... she will check water's, feeders and the condition of livestock but her favorite pass time is a beautiful yard, garden and THE SWIMMING POOL !!! She's pleased and I am pleased that she is pleased !!!!! And never forget to mention how beautiful the yard and garden are not to mention and never forget this one ... "You sure do keep a beautiful home for us"

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #32  
David, I've been out of touch on the forum for a bit, but I'm saddened to hear you are having troubles out at mossflowerwoods. I'm sure that everything will work out in the end, but if you need anything feel free to call me up and I'd be glad to help.

Actually, I'm off most weekdays in April, and I'd be glad to head up that way and get some of those projects cleared off your plate with you. Take care buddy, talk to you soon :)

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #33  
I feel bad for the problems you're having. Not sure of your background as you didn't mention whether you grew up on a farm or not. But don't feel too bad, I'm seen the same thing happen here in West Central Missouri where I live. City folk buy a 3-5 acre lot, buy horses, equipment, build a house and outbuildings. They start out big and then before they know it, the realities of farm life hits them right between the eyes. They find out that those horses can eat a pasture down to nothing pretty **** quick. Not to mention that the service that they were used to in the city (trash, sewer, water, road maintence, etc.) are non existance in the rural areas. You are responsible for all of the things I just listed. If you were to ask any old timer about how they got started owning a farm, most would tell you they started small and over the years slowly built up their farms. Like the others before me have said, get rid of the horses, reevaluate where you're at , what your goals are and start from there. There are a few small places (5 acres) around me that folks have tried to scratch out a living (just like Mother Earth News tells you). Needless to say they didn't last very long. I don't know about real estate prices in your area, if you try to sell your place with your projects just half finished, you might not get back what you're invested in it so far. Well, this was my 2 cents worth. I hope you and your misses can work all this out to where you and your family can stay on your place.

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #34  
Country living is hard work. The more stuff you get, the less you can have a job. If you travel for work, that's like a long distance relationship and you know how that goes. Here's to better times David. You would have kicked yourself if you never tried and nothing says you cannot come back to something like this when your life permits. Here's a salute to you and your family but you're right: now's the time to cherish your wife and if they're reasonable, meet her needs. All the best.

Lou

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #35  
David
I am sorry to hear how much your situation is wearing on you. I have enjoyed reading about your experiences. I have felt a certain kinship to you due to being almost a neighbor to you and travelling that 95 and 66 corridor myself daily (Nova, DC amd Md on any given day). Is it possible that perhaps you jumped too hard too fast into this lifestyle? Maybe deleting the horses at least for now and backing up a little and settling into your farm one piece at a time might take some of the edges off. I myself would have a very difficult time moving to the city. Didn't I even read you had difficulties with your motorcycle once (I apologise if my recall is inaccurate)?
It seemed to that you were accomplishing a lot in a relatively short amount of time to be honest. Anyway, I certainly wish you the best in your endeavours and try not to let it get you down. Sometimes life seems to gang up on you but then it often has a way of turning around just as quickly, sometimes when you least expect it.
Good luck with everything.

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #36  
Sorry to hear this.

It takes more than one person to run and manage a place. Sometimes the burdens will all fall on one person. It is in times like that that the end-goal has to still be 100 percent committed to.

Nothing is easy.

Best of luck.

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #37  
David it sounds like thing's are going in the wrong direction in a hurry, i'm so sorry. at this point i don't know what to say other than keep your head up and have faith in God. our prayers or with you.

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #38  
David.....you hang in there......sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together!:thumbsup:

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #39  
Brother David , praying for and wishing the best for you all.
2 CORINTHIANS 13 : 14 (kjv)

Boone

/ Big changes coming to Mossflower Wood Farm/Ranch... #40  
Sorry to hear about the problems.

Taking care of animals is a 24/7 job. And a real pain in the butt. Everyone has gotta love doing it or something is gonna give.

Maybe you can get rid of the animals and take a break. Just maintaining the property is a full time job.

Farming is a hard life and even harder when you can't be at it 100%. Good luck!