Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: First Rattlesnake of the seacon

Quote Originally Posted by Reyer Farms View Post
    Well I have seen cottonmouths mad & looking for trouble, but is usually after they make their presence known. They kinda fire a warning shot. When a copperhead opens his mouth it's looking for somewhere to land. My pawpaw used to say about all snakes " he may not hurt you, but he'll make you hurt yourself!"
    Almost all of the copperheads I have killed have tried to get away from the shovel or hoe etc...but the cottonmouths almost always try to attack the implement...have even had them come after me for some distances...have seen several try to get in a boat or canoe...
    Slash Pine
    blunt and succinct but sincere...in the immortal words of Popeye..."I yam what I yam"

Tractor
    Kioti CK25

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote machine View Post
    Show pics of the doggies, pls.
    Well here they are last Spring in the bluebonnets (or at least us trying to take pictures of them:

First Rattlesnake of the seacon-img_3238.jpg

But this is there more nature/normal environment:

First Rattlesnake of the seacon-willow.jpgFirst Rattlesnake of the seacon-tig.jpg

The black one is my female, Willow. The other is the male, Tig. Everybody is fixed though. For scale, they are on the big Costco dog beds which are approx 40 inches.

LJH
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3120

Awww, they look so tired! Snake wrangling must be hard work from that elevation.

I love Great Danes. My foster parents had a fawn named Zeus who would scare the bejeebers out of strangers with his bark but was as harmless as they come, with people and other animals. Don't recall him ever encountering a snake though - couple of unfortunate skunk meet-ups, but no snakes.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

Quote Originally Posted by /pine View Post

Almost all of the copperheads I have killed have tried to get away from the shovel or hoe etc...but the cottonmouths almost always try to attack the implement...have even had them come after me for some distances...have seen several try to get in a boat or canoe...
    I'd give them the boat!

Tractor
    None

Quote Originally Posted by repowell View Post
    It's that time of the year. We are gearing up for snake season in the Emergency Department, initial and refresher training for staff on treating bites and administering Crofab anti-venom. Fortunately we see mostly copperhead bites, with an occasional cottonmouth, in our part of East Texas. The one timber rattler bite last year was really nasty. Rattlesnakes cause more systemic problems with low blood pressure and bleeding problems. Copperhead and cottonmouths cause more pain and swelling. None are pleasant.

Let's all be careful with spring cleaning around the barns and brush piles. Not paying attention around this combined with this may equal a ride in this to see this .
    This is the best advice I've seen on a forum like this in a long time! Rattlesnakes are a very manageable problem, even without killing them, with just a little observation and attention to the habitat we often create for them.

How do copperhead bites react with the Crofab?

Tractor
    JD 5105M

Quote Originally Posted by /pine View Post
    That has been my experience also. Cottonmouths are the most aggressive and will come after you. I had one do that inside my shop. Copperheads seem to just want to get away.

I feel that all living things have their place. Unfortunately for the poisonous snakes, their place is not around my place. Around the house they die. My dog has been bitten once and survived. She gets a rattlesnake shot every year and that may have helped although she was bitten by a copperhead. Hopefully, now that she has survived a bite she may be a little more resistant. I have shot everything but a coral snake in my yard. I probably have them too but just haven't seen one yet.

PMA
    Tractor
    John Deere 5325, CI Farmall 85U, Mccormick International 404

I went to Alma Georgia this past weekend and the son in law killed 2 water moccasins as we call them cottonmouths. Grandson killed one with the .410.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123