First Rattlesnake of the seacon

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #1  

ustmd

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK27 HST
So the next door neighbor (my mother in law) was walking back to her place this morning when she ran into this one the road. She had the dogs with her (my Great Danes) who did their job --they alerted to the snake and got between it and my mother in law. who has to use a cane and had not seen the snake. Good Doggies.

Mr. Maxwell's Silver Hammer (my single shot 410) took care of the snake.

My general rule is if the snake is away from the house/barn/animal, we leave it alone. There was no way, however, I was getting the dogs away from this one, so it had to go.

rattle 1.JPG

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #2  
FIRST??:shocked:!! We see one once in awhile. Not even one a year! FIRST??:shocked:!! How many do you see a year? There is a population on Hanging Rock, a small mountain state park here, and during the heat of summer when the things are most active, we will see one occasionally.

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #3  
My general rule is if the snake is away from the house/barn/animal, we leave it alone.

My approach, exactly. They're a valuable part of the ecosystem but my equally valuable part is a no-rattler zone. Glad your MIL and/or doggies didn't take a hit. Cookies for everyone! :thumbsup:

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #5  
As Stonewall Jackson once said..."kill them, kill them all"!
Before I get jumped on, let me say: I realize they play an important part in the eco system, but when they are around the house or barn, they are gone!

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #6  
Thats a pretty good size one no doubt , hurry up and get it into the stew while meats still fresh ! :) ;)

Boone

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #7  
Show pics of the doggies, pls.

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #8  
So the next door neighbor (my mother in law) was walking back to her place this morning when she ran into this one the road. She had the dogs with her (my Great Danes) who did their job --they alerted to the snake and got between it and my mother in law. who has to use a cane and had not seen the snake. Good Doggies.

Mr. Maxwell's Silver Hammer (my single shot 410) took care of the snake.

My general rule is if the snake is away from the house/barn/animal, we leave it alone. There was no way, however, I was getting the dogs away from this one, so it had to go.

View attachment 308101

The varmints and I have an understanding: They stay out of my yard, my house and my shop, and they will be ok. Stray into my comfort zone, and all bets are off. Deadly force will be used, no questions asked.

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #9  
It's that time of the year. We are gearing up for snake season in the Emergency Department, initial and refresher training for staff on treating bites and administering Crofab anti-venom. Fortunately we see mostly copperhead bites, with an occasional cottonmouth, in our part of East Texas. The one timber rattler bite last year was really nasty. Rattlesnakes cause more systemic problems with low blood pressure and bleeding problems. Copperhead and cottonmouths cause more pain and swelling. None are pleasant.

Let's all be careful with spring cleaning around the barns and brush piles. Not paying attention around this :tractor: combined with this :snake: may equal a ride in this :ambulance: to see this :doctor:.

/ First Rattlesnake of the seacon #10  
Nice big rattler!. I've been on the look out in the sunny spots, but the only rattler I have seen here since 2004 was one I released on the property. Only 2 snakes I kill immediately, copperheads and diamond back water snakes, the rest are left alone. Rattlers will get a trip deeper onto the property.