Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti CK25

Default First Rattlesnake of the seacon

So the next door neighbor (my mother in law) was walking back to her place this morning when she ran into this one the road. She had the dogs with her (my Great Danes) who did their job --they alerted to the snake and got between it and my mother in law. who has to use a cane and had not seen the snake. Good Doggies.

Mr. Maxwell's Silver Hammer (my single shot 410) took care of the snake.

My general rule is if the snake is away from the house/barn/animal, we leave it alone. There was no way, however, I was getting the dogs away from this one, so it had to go.

-rattle-1-jpg

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100F IH McCormick Farmall 140, Massey Ferguson 135

Default Re: First Rattlesnake of the seacon

FIRST??!! We see one once in awhile. Not even one a year! FIRST??!! How many do you see a year? There is a population on Hanging Rock, a small mountain state park here, and during the heat of summer when the things are most active, we will see one occasionally.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3120

Quote Originally Posted by ustmd View Post
    My general rule is if the snake is away from the house/barn/animal, we leave it alone.
    My approach, exactly. They're a valuable part of the ecosystem but my equally valuable part is a no-rattler zone. Glad your MIL and/or doggies didn't take a hit. Cookies for everyone!

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Meaty sucker. Make him into a belt.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    TM233

As Stonewall Jackson once said..."kill them, kill them all"!
    Before I get jumped on, let me say: I realize they play an important part in the eco system, but when they are around the house or barn, they are gone!

Tractor
    BOTA L3400 DT -SQ 172 B HOG-WAC PHD-JD SUBARU PWRD GENNY

Thats a pretty good size one no doubt , hurry up and get it into the stew while meats still fresh !

Boone
    2 CHRONICLES 7 : 14 (KJV)

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Show pics of the doggies, pls.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

Quote Originally Posted by ustmd View Post
    So the next door neighbor (my mother in law) was walking back to her place this morning when she ran into this one the road. She had the dogs with her (my Great Danes) who did their job --they alerted to the snake and got between it and my mother in law. who has to use a cane and had not seen the snake. Good Doggies.

Mr. Maxwell's Silver Hammer (my single shot 410) took care of the snake.

My general rule is if the snake is away from the house/barn/animal, we leave it alone. There was no way, however, I was getting the dogs away from this one, so it had to go.

-rattle-1-jpg
    The varmints and I have an understanding: They stay out of my yard, my house and my shop, and they will be ok. Stray into my comfort zone, and all bets are off. Deadly force will be used, no questions asked.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Tractor
    NH Boomer 8N, NH TC40DA

It's that time of the year. We are gearing up for snake season in the Emergency Department, initial and refresher training for staff on treating bites and administering Crofab anti-venom. Fortunately we see mostly copperhead bites, with an occasional cottonmouth, in our part of East Texas. The one timber rattler bite last year was really nasty. Rattlesnakes cause more systemic problems with low blood pressure and bleeding problems. Copperhead and cottonmouths cause more pain and swelling. None are pleasant.

Let's all be careful with spring cleaning around the barns and brush piles. Not paying attention around this combined with this may equal a ride in this to see this .
    Randy

NH Boomer 8N, 6' Squealer Rotary Cutter
    NH TC40DA, 16LA FEL, Red Master II Harrow
    Land Pride 6' Tiller, 7' Landscape Rake
    2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    Big Tex 12GP 20' GN trailer
    Cub Cadet RZT 50"

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Nice big rattler!. I've been on the look out in the sunny spots, but the only rattler I have seen here since 2004 was one I released on the property. Only 2 snakes I kill immediately, copperheads and diamond back water snakes, the rest are left alone. Rattlers will get a trip deeper onto the property.
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast