Logging Chains

/ Logging Chains #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
Have you ever lost a chain in the woods or even in the yard?
Once you throw a chain down somewhere it is hard to find it again.
I have about 7 different chains of different sizes and lenghts.
I am thinking about painting some blaze orange on my logging chains.
Anyone else mark their chains so they are easy to find?
Any suggestions on what kind of paint to use?
Is there one color better than the others.
It there something you use that is better than paint?
sherpa

/ Logging Chains #2  
Painting them a color you an see will def help, I know I have tossed a chain down then had to stare at teh ground for a bit to find it, I don't know how the paint will hold up, Prob have to re do it once in a while.

/ Logging Chains #3  
Try tying a couple of pieces of surveyors tape to a few links. Preferably the fluorescent colors. That vinyl tape is pretty tough and should last awhile before you have to replace them.

/ Logging Chains #4  
I painted the hooks on mine fluorescent orange, that's enough for me to find them.

Sean

/ Logging Chains #5  
I work with other folks that have chains on the same job. Painting the chain makes it easy to tell them apart when packing up.

Just painting the last foot or so of the the chain on both ends, including the hook is enough to find and sort them quite easily.

Tractor Supply has "Majik" paint (or something like that) that is really tough stuff but it takes forever to dry. Anyway, the last foot of each chain is painted Kubota orange and the foot above that is NH blue for my chain color combo. The paint will stay on the chain amazingly well because the nooks and crannies don't slide on the ground that much. Over the five years since painting the chains have not needed a repaint.

Just that little bit of orange will show through slash and piles of bark enough to really make it visible.

/ Logging Chains #6  
Yup on the hooks for me too...John Deere Yellow! :D

Pretty close match to safety yellow too

I would think any Hi Viz color would work ok

By coincidence found this

In its Safety Color Guide, The Sherwin-Williams Company says,
“Yellow is the most visible of all colors. Its attention-compelling
power is universally recognized.”

/ Logging Chains #7  
My comment on the color choice is to choose something other than a dominate color that the leaves turn. Even in growing season the leaves turn when the limbs are cut off of the trees.

Here in CA the leaves mostly turn yellow so that is not a preferred chain paint. Leaves don't turn orange here.

I believe safety vests and hunting vests are made in colors that make the wearer stand out against the background.

In New England there would be an entirely different range of choices, of course.

/ Logging Chains #8  
I paint a lot of my stuff flourescent pink. I like it because nobody else uses it.

/ Logging Chains
Thanks, these are all good post with good advice.
Sherpa

/ Logging Chains #10  
Pink is better than orange, especially in the fall leaves.