Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #51  
solid state drives are out there.. it's just that flash is finite in # of r/w cycles... sram and psuedo sram have been around a while though...

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #52  
anyone remember eliza the conversational logic program?

ahh.. code from books and mags...

it was in basic.. i remember hand typing that huge monster in and running it on something small and old. might have been a c64.. maybee.... was big.. lots of typing...

Eliza is still alive and living under an assumed name in Emacs, just type "meta-x doctor"

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #53  
My high school had time sharing access via an ASR-33 (teletype) terminal at 110 baud. We would play a text game called "*trek" which had a command to fire photon torpedoes and so on. I still remember the special smell of that yellow paper.

The teletype had a tape reader/punch, too, and a box that collected the chad (the bits that were punched out). The chad had rather sharp edges and would cling to stuff. One of the other computer geeks, who for some reason liked to carry his schoolwork around in a briefcase, was gifted with a few liters of chad in said briefcase, which he never completely managed to clean out.

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #54  
Cool stuff guys. :thumbsup:

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #55  
My high school had time sharing access via an ASR-33 (teletype) terminal at 110 baud. We would play a text game called "*trek" which had a command to fire photon torpedoes and so on. I still remember the special smell of that yellow paper.

The teletype had a tape reader/punch, too, and a box that collected the chad (the bits that were punched out). The chad had rather sharp edges and would cling to stuff. One of the other computer geeks, who for some reason liked to carry his schoolwork around in a briefcase, was gifted with a few liters of chad in said briefcase, which he never completely managed to clean out.

We had two of the ASR-33's as well. I could not remember their name. Twas amazing how those little dots made there way around school, and on the last day of school, they were REALLY all over the place. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies

My son and I played that game. Written in basic. Addictive back then. :)

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #57  

I see your ASR-33 and raise you two.. I had a model 15 with typing repeforator and Tape Distributor (TD) This predates your Model 33 by I don't know how many years, but it is a bunch... the patent dates on the model 15 started in 1919. I never had a model 28, but I always wanted one! I used the model 15 on HF radio to print and transmit Baudot Radio Teletype as the model 15 was a Baudot 5 level code machine not an ASCII machine. I had hardwood floors in my room, and I don't think we ever got all the chads out of the cracks.

James K0UA

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #58  
I have not read all post but assume most would not have 8" floppy and drive. Also core memory boards.

I do not use them or can drive them, I just love the history!

Weedpharma

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #59  
A fun read. I wrote my first code in 1965 (officially old, but not historical in computing terms) and didn't buy a PC until the first IBM PC was released and needed it for grad school. By that time I was heading a group that was looking at business applications (beyond Lotus-123) that could be off-loaded from the mainframe. Development times were long and "small systems projects" could remain in the queue forever. Maybe because of my training or some other defect, I never got into computer games. Computers were expensive business tools. Still don't play games, but do still write code for my home automation projects.

Glad I didn't have that mindset about tractors.....

/ Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies #60  
I see your ASR-33 and raise you two.. I had a model 15 with typing repeforator and Tape Distributor (TD) This predates your Model 33 by I don't know how many years, but it is a bunch... the patent dates on the model 15 started in 1919. I never had a model 28, but I always wanted one! I used the model 15 on HF radio to print and transmit Baudot Radio Teletype as the model 15 was a Baudot 5 level code machine not an ASCII machine. I had hardwood floors in my room, and I don't think we ever got all the chads out of the cracks.

James K0UA

I remember back before isdn was getting ready to come out. I was just about ready to setup packet radio...