Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1526 Hydrostat

WOW. What an interesting thread. I'm not the smartest person on the block but my first computer was a Tandy with just a single 5-1/4" floppy. I can remember logging onto the local BBS. I only had that computer for a month as they had just come out with the dual 5-1/4 floppies. Oooohhh. Gotta have that upgrade. Of course it was a landslide from then on. It seems every year I was upgrading but don't know that I could remember them all. Never went to school for any of it but had a little fun messing around with Basic. I knew I could never be a programmer!!
    George

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST, Case DX35

My resource management office had a CPT word processor - twin 8 inch floppies, one for the program, one for storage. Actually all the secretaries in the directorate had one. You could change the printer ball for different fonts. It also had a math package - insert another program disk and get 4 function math, very very few knew how to use it.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet
    David
    Please visit: Vacation Hawaii

CK30HST, FEL w/ATI Tach all, Toothbar, Pallet forks, BH, Hydraulic Offset Flail, Brush Hog, Box Blade, PHD, Tiller, Landscape Rake, Boom pole w/extension&winch, Quick hitch, TuffTop Canopy
    Case DX35 w/LX116 "bobtach" Loader,

Tractor
    My tractor is an old M... F... and red too.

Default Re: Anyone ever use a 300/1200 baud modem using 5 1/4" floppies

Quote Originally Posted by radrock View Post
    WOW. What an interesting thread. I'm not the smartest person on the block but my first computer was a Tandy with just a single 5-1/4" floppy. I can remember logging onto the local BBS. I only had that computer for a month as they had just come out with the dual 5-1/4 floppies. Oooohhh. Gotta have that upgrade. Of course it was a landslide from then on. It seems every year I was upgrading but don't know that I could remember them all. Never went to school for any of it but had a little fun messing around with Basic. I knew I could never be a programmer!!
    I remember when I got my first PC with a 286 processor.. I thought I was screaming. Alot of online games where written in Quick Basic and Pascal and later converted over to C+ so they would work with faster processors. I made a fake format bomb written in basic and my son started it up. He thought he was formating C: and yanked the cords out of the wallso hard I had to replace the wall plug.
    Retired and enjoying life with my kids and grandkids -robert
    "life is too short.. eat your cake first"
    My 1965 MF 135 Z145 Refurbish Project with Pics
    TrucksByNet.com .... .... It's about Trucks... The other TBN
    My Yamaha YFP350U Terrapro's Project The only ATV with a PTO
    About ME

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by The kid View Post

I remember when I got my first PC with a 286 processor.. I thought I was screaming. Alot of online games where written in Quick Basic and Pascal and later converted over to C+ so they would work with faster processors. I made a fake format bomb written in basic and my son started it up. He thought he was formating C: and yanked the cords out of the wallso hard I had to replace the wall plug.
    How funny. I didn't get very far in basic. Too much work. I can remember the first 286 too. I think I had three or four different Tandy,s. then I got to be a gateway fanatic. Yup technology really took its toll.
    George

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST, Case DX35

Don't know about the rest of you guys, but sure would be nice to have the $$$ back I spent those first 25 years.
    I read an article last year that if instead of buying a Mac desktop in 1990, I think it was, if you had spent the same dollars for Apple stock how much it would be worth now - staggering

David
    Please visit: Vacation Hawaii

CK30HST, FEL w/ATI Tach all, Toothbar, Pallet forks, BH, Hydraulic Offset Flail, Brush Hog, Box Blade, PHD, Tiller, Landscape Rake, Boom pole w/extension&winch, Quick hitch, TuffTop Canopy
    Case DX35 w/LX116 "bobtach" Loader,

Tractor
    Kubota L3400HST

You guys must be really old farts :-) I jumped in on the sci-fi age with a TRS80 MODEL 2. That cutting technology used the 9" discs. And in no time at all (like 2 or 3 years) I was the proud owner of a screaming Hays 1200 baud that I used for my BBS - Carrz; car related topics.

It was only 4 or 5 years later that I snatched up several US Robotics 5600 baud modems for a mere 'thou' each and a super fast IBM AT ($2800) and a crisp NEC monitor ($900). Adding a 'cheap' DOT matrix printer for another 'thou' gave me a cutting edge system. Still, I couldn't afford to play around much on the TSO connections - not at $4.00/minute.

Uh - tell me again how prices have gone up :-)

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by sodamo View Post
    Don't know about the rest of you guys, but sure would be nice to have the $$$ back I spent those first 25 years.
    I read an article last year that if instead of buying a Mac desktop in 1990, I think it was, if you had spent the same dollars for Apple stock how much it would be worth now - staggering

Oh gosh yes. I can remember paying Close to $4000 on a couple of those high priced computers.

And as far us old farts! Yup I am sure there are several of us here that can remember when the first color TV came out. I can remember watching lots of black and white tv shows.
    George

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

I have been thinking of starting a computer museum. Anyone have an old Data General Nova 2 Processor or maybe a spare Diablo 5 MB drive handy?
    I used to repair these type of products with a solder sucker, soldering iron, oscilloscope and bag full of chips. Used to design the peripheral boards as well.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

Quote Originally Posted by Ken73 View Post
    Try a Timex Sinclair 1000 - look it up! Apple ][ (not +, not E, nor C!) .. Hayes Smartmodems and US Robotics modems.. ahh, the good old days when you actually had to be smart to get online!
    I think i sprained a finger or two on that Timex keyboard.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

mine never sprained.. but I think a few of them are flat on the end..

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast