Pesky Beavers

/ Pesky Beavers #11  
You should write your local congress person or the President......explain your beaver problem......and wait for an answer. You might want to say your beavers are low income or even illegally in the country. If you hear a drone....hide behind a standing tree and stay away from the beaver dam. If they don't destroy the dam.....they may give you an application for beaver food stamps. Hopefully....this would change the beavers food source and your problem will be gone. Good luck!:D:thumbsup::D

/ Pesky Beavers #12  
I find that preventing their damage is easier and better than elimination. There are so many that they just reappear. There are devices to keep water flowing so they can't dam it and we protect high value trees with wire or by keeping the waters edge open (they dislike open areas). Once a good number is reached the new ones leave so the population stabilizes. We have a lot in our pond and they do a good job with the downed trees and don't cause issues because they can't flood the area.

/ Pesky Beavers #13  
head over to trapperman.com and have a trapper out to take care of the beavers for you

/ Pesky Beavers #14  
Beavers... Argh!

Clemson came up with this device years ago. Basically, you poke a hole in the beaver dam and insert a PVC pipe which drains the beaver pond. Beavers are smart but not so smart to figure out the that the leak is from the end of the pipe. They can't stop the water from draining from the pond and leave.

http://www.clemson.edu/psapublishing/pages/afw/afw1.pdf

I have seen this work.

Later,
Dan

/ Pesky Beavers #15  
Beaver = Large swimming Rat with large, flat tail.

Elimination = Wait till they start swimming at dusk and sight in your favorite varmint or deer rifle

Result = Many fewer beavers, sighted in rifle, much fun, great satisfaction!

/ Pesky Beavers #16  
I find that preventing their damage is easier and better than elimination. There are so many that they just reappear.
Are you upstream from me?:mur:
With over thirty acres of marshland and a river on my property, even the authorities (county and Natural Resources) want me to control the population to avoid road washouts, flooded fields and many, many trees downed.

/ Pesky Beavers #17  
How do I get rid of beavers ?

Texas Rodent and Predatory Animal Control Service, Fort Worth, TX

FYI, they are nasty also. Giardiasis — popularly known as beaver fever [1] — is a parasitic disease caused by the flagellate protozoan Giardia lamblia ....

/ Pesky Beavers #18  
Are you upstream from me?:mur:
With over thirty acres of marshland and a river on my property, even the authorities (county and Natural Resources) want me to control the population to avoid road washouts, flooded fields and many, many trees downed.

Nope, but we had issues in the past and after many rounds of trapping we ended up putting in a few devices to help eliminate the issue. Now we've got a pond where the level is constant, the trees / marsh area is not flooded and there are beavers. We used the PVC type devices as well as the long wire mesh devices they put on culverts. This eliminated, what had become an annoying cycle of waiting until there was a problem again, trapping, destroying the dam and doing it again. Now it takes none of our time and there's no issue.

One caution on shooting, depending on the weapon you're using be very careful of ricochets of the water, if the angle of entry is low its amazing how far and fast the bullet can go. We found out the hard way shooting some turtles out of a pond, found holes in our trees on the other side (thankfully not in a neighbors house!)

/ Pesky Beavers #19  
Here's some amateur beaver action video (rated G, natch, unless there's something really wrong with you:eek:) that you may want to watch with the sound low or muted ('cause the narrator and the music are pretty annoying):
The most amazing beaver experience. [VIDEO]

/ Pesky Beavers #20  
google coni-bear traps. Get two at least.

I used sticks from the dam to create an alley way for the beaver to repair the hole I poked in the dam. They sense the flow, and go right into the trap.

Sitting around at dusk in the woods waiting for a good shot is a waste of time and effort for me on these animals. Much easier to set and get the next day.

Good luck.

You may also see if your county animal control/enviromental people would declare them as "pests". That opened up free-hunting/trapping for me in my area.