Question about Cedar Value.

/ Question about Cedar Value. #1  

tech141

Bronze Member
Belleville, IL.... for now. 60 acres just South o
Tractor
JD 2020 with FEL
I cut down a large, cedar tree this weekend. It had lost it top sometime in the past and looked gnarly, and not in a good way. I cut it down and trimmed the branches from the trunk and this is what is left...

DSC04760_zps497e7fe3.jpg

DSC04782_zps58e57c12.jpg

DSC04713_zps2b771f0d.jpg

DSC04785_zps6b57d646.jpg

The straight part of the trunk is approx. two feet across at the bottom, tapering to approx. 18 inches before it gets to the gnarled part about 12 feet up.
Is this trunk worth anything besides the firewood value? I would hate to chop it up and then find out I missed an opportunity.

/ Question about Cedar Value. #3  
Cedar is good for clothes closet lining/paneling, and cedar chests for bedding/clothing storage.

You could post the curvy trunk part on craig's list, maybe a wood carver/artiste would buy it.

/ Question about Cedar Value. #4  
The log might be worth $40-50 at a cedar mill,if you have one close by,but one log won't pay for the gas. Save the log,the red heartwood lasts about forever,you can square it up with a chainsaw,and make a post.

/ Question about Cedar Value. #6  
Tree prices vary by the local market.

I have seen a few logging trucks carrying nothing but cedar but I don't see those loads very often. When we timbered, I asked about Cedar trees since we have a bunch of them, but the Timber agent said there was not real market for them in my area.

I have stacks of Cedar trees here and there on our place. Not sure what to do with them but I won't used them for fence posts. They rot out and I can see plenty of pole barns and fence lines that have used them and are now falling down.

Your best bet would be to find an Arteest that would do something with that tree. Not sure it would be worth the time though. Kinda sad not to do something useful with a tree that sized.

Later,
Dan

/ Question about Cedar Value. #7  
A cedar tree that s?e is rare. The red heart will last 100 + years. Don't burn it...much better uses. Beautiful mantle for fireplace. Cut in half, add legs from the branches...bench will last outside forever. Set it aside and wait for inspiration...it'll be just as good in 10 years as now.

/ Question about Cedar Value. #8  
Rot out? Really? I have used them for years and have found old fence lines on our farm decades old and the post is still solid.

/ Question about Cedar Value. #9  
Up here......we'd sell it to a local shake mill.:thumbsup:

/ Question about Cedar Value. #10  
Do you know what type of cedar that is?
The morphology looks somewhat like incense cedar.
But the bark looks more like the Western Red.

Anyway, not all cedars have the same rot resistance & etc.

Throw it up on Craigslist, a fairly low price, and see if you can get someone wanting to come and resaw it.

You could also see if you could "trade" it for firewood.