dispatching a large groundhog.

/ dispatching a large groundhog. #1  

ncnurseryman

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 970
I've got this monster of a groundhog that showed up last year and destroyed my garden. I guess they hibernate cause I haven't seen it this winter but if he is still around it has to go. Question is would a 22 be enough to take him out? I would prefer a 223 but I don't have one.

/ dispatching a large groundhog. #2  
Head Shot, Bang!

/ dispatching a large groundhog. #3  
Head shot for sure, body shot might not be quick but would probably lead to death. Depends on range of course also. .17 would be perfect if you have or can get one.

/ dispatching a large groundhog. #4  
I have shot an awful lot of them years ago with a .22LR HP.. Since you mention he is a "bigun"... well a head shot would be best. I rarely see one here,.. I dont think we have enough dirt for one to make a home.:D

James K0UA

/ dispatching a large groundhog. #5  
22 will do the job just fine. No need for he 223 for a ground hog. If he is out and you want him to stand up, just whistle once. He'll pop up on his hind legs an try to see the "other" ground hog. Should be an easy shot within 100 yards.

/ dispatching a large groundhog. #6  
Yep dispatched plenty with a rimfire .22 throughout the years. I shot one last year in the garden with my 30 30 and had a mess to clean up after

/ dispatching a large groundhog. #7  
26005Lucy%20and%20groundhog.JPG

That one was shot at a distance of about 30 yards with a 22mag through the chest. It didn't take a step. If I had a better scope or better rest I would have gone with a head shot, but it was just a standing shot after trying to nail this guy for over a year.

Anyway I have a pretty fat Minipin as you can see and she was constantly in confrontations with the groundhog which lived under my garden shed. The groundhog could easily have taken a leg off with its huge teeth.

/ dispatching a large groundhog. #8  
I live in a comunity with 1 acre lots. We are not permitted to fire a rifle in our county and the houses are too close for a shot gun.
There is a fence around the yard but the groundhogs dig under and attack my 15'X80' garden. I think my yard is a magnet for them.
Two years ago I purchased a CAMCO .177, 1200 fpm pellet rifle with a 9X40 scope. It is a break barrel and since we have close neighbors I bought one with a silencer, it works pretty well, only a slight plumph (sound effect), not a crack, doen't attract any attention to the local tree huggers that feed all the wild life. Anyway after sighting it in I have been keeping my yard free of the pigs.. The first year I bagged 8, last year 7 Has to be a head shot, shooting them in the body is a horrible sight to deal with and inhumane. Our minature Austrailan Shepard will occasionally corner one and I can bang them in the head with a shovel. If the dog sees the pellet gun she runs to the house. I also try to trap them in a have-a-heart trap but shooting them is quicker. Double bag them in compactor bags and in the trash...
One got in the hillside Hosta garden and dug a hole. I got rid of him with a horizontally cut 1 gallon plastic orange jug with a hose secured in the pour hole. Poured some bleach in the orange jug and shoved it down the hole leaving the end of the hose with me. Using a funnel I poured amonia in the funnel, down the hose and into the horizonal bleach filled orange jug. I stuffed a small bucket in the hole and left it for a few days. Never saw him again, I don't know if he died or if the stink was so bad he moved out. Anyway it was a lot cleaner than shooting or trapping. They crap in the traps and they stink. When trapping them I give them a ride in the back of the pickup to the state park 4 miles away on my way to work.
Thats my life with ground hogs.

/ dispatching a large groundhog. #9  
26005Lucy%20and%20groundhog.JPG

That one was shot at a distance of about 30 yards with a 22mag through the chest. It didn't take a step. If I had a better scope or better rest I would have gone with a head shot, but it was just a standing shot after trying to nail this guy for over a year.

Anyway I have a pretty fat Minipin as you can see and she was constantly in confrontations with the groundhog which lived under my garden shed. The groundhog could easily have taken a leg off with its huge teeth.

You really had me going, it looked like your Minpin was a full sized dobie and that was a huge groundhog!! Wouldn't want to live in your neck of the woods.

/ dispatching a large groundhog. #10  

I thought that was a full sized Doberman at first and I then I thought "whoa! I didnt know they got that big"
The light switch gave it away........
We don't have ground hogs in Florida. Thier counterpart is an armadillo. A .22 is plenty for an armadillo.