Retirement savings ....Yikes !

/ Retirement savings ....Yikes !
They are going to join the 47 million living on food stamps. Life without money is harsh.

I can't help feeling really sorry for them all...I feel sorry for the ones that could not see tomorrow and save, I feel sorry for the ones who just partied all the time because now they are old, ( I remember Mickey Mantel being interviewed in his later years...he was probably 60 or so...and he said if he knew he would live that long he would have taken better care of himself ) so there are those that spent their money never thinking they would live as long as they have....I feel sorry for them and I feel especially sorry for those who did everything right...they were frugal, saved , planned but were hit with medical or family problems that siphoned off their savings...etc...there are so many different cases out there....

Like the panel pointed out...this has been known for decades...I realized it 30 yrs. ago... I remember thinking one day all these baby boomers are going to pull all their money out of the stock market and then what happens to the economy....People just were not ready for this bubble bursting situation....and 57% or more were really not ready...they thought it would never end....real sad.

/ Retirement savings ....Yikes ! #12  
They are going to join the 47 million living on food stamps. Life without money is harsh.

Yes. And the merry-go-round keeps spinning. Higher taxes on the working people to support poor decisions by others (for the most part...please, I realize there are many people who truly deserve help do to circumstances beyond their control...but the %'s point to the opposite for the most part).

/ Retirement savings ....Yikes ! #13  
Since I retired I have met several elderly, as in older than I, who had gone back to work after losing all of their savings and 401K due to the poor economy. They are poor not due to lack of saving or lack of hard work, but because of the greed or criminal activities of those they trusted with their money.

/ Retirement savings ....Yikes ! #14  
I feel sorry for those folks who truly have drained their accounts due to family emergencies and such......but.....the old saying....."Bad planning on your part...does not make for an emergency on mine" really applies to so many people when it come to financial matter. Sad but true!

I feel sorry for those folks who truly have drained their accounts due to family emergencies and such......but.....the old saying....."Bad planning on your part...does not make for an emergency on mine" really applies to so many people when it come to financial matter. Sad but true!

Of course you are right and I agree, but I sure hate the thought of seeing people hurt like I think is going to happen unless something changes...and of course all we need to do is look at Cyprus...our savings and investments can be confiscated...think of that ...or better yet don't...LOL

/ Retirement savings ....Yikes ! #16  
Since I retired I have met several elderly, as in older than I, who had gone back to work after losing all of their savings and 401K due to the poor economy. They are poor not due to lack of saving or lack of hard work, but because of the greed or criminal activities of those they trusted with their money.

I feel for those people too Bob. For anyone getting close to your retirement age, you best not have a whole lot you can't afford to lose tied to the stock market. I'm amazed that people close to retirement or already retired who keep a large portion of their retirement income in stocks.

Pretty much a basic no-no, unless you can afford the risk that comes with it.

/ Retirement savings ....Yikes ! #17  
Just look a the average CC balance, its going to be nasty.

/ Retirement savings ....Yikes ! #18  
It's all about risk management, especially as we get older. I can't get my darn crystal ball working either. :D

/ Retirement savings ....Yikes ! #19  
Well, we could always commit a minor crime, go to the crowbar hotel for a couple of years, live totally free of the government, and repeat cycle again once your out. Anything 2 years minus 1 day is equal to an all expenses paid, 5 star hotel, including getting a day pass, to go play golf, if you choose. And they even get to choose their meals from a menu.
I don,t get choices like that, at home, even when I,m paying for it.

It's all about risk management, especially as we get older. I can't get my darn crystal ball working either. :D

Jay...I play around scalping some stocks...nothing big , kind of a hobby . I agree with you, now is not the time for anyone nearing retirement to be invested in the market, bonds or anything like that..especially in a long position. You are right.