Electric Pole transformer cost

/ Electric Pole transformer cost #1  

ShaleniFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830HST; Kubota BX1850; Kubota RTVx1100
Hi All,

Anyone know how much an electric transformer costs? I'm sure the size matters, but don't know that.

Thanks,
Neil.

/ Electric Pole transformer cost #2  
Need more info. Size and voltage really matter a lot.............chim

/ Electric Pole transformer cost
Thanks Chim,
I'll have to wait for later when the electrician shows up.

It does have a big 25 on the side of it. (I've attached a pic.)

Just looking for a sanity check, as the electric company is going to bill me, but haven't said how much.

Thanks again,
Neil.

Attachments

• 300203-MVC-050E.JPG
    300203-MVC-050E.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,544
   / Electric Pole transformer cost #4  
It hardly matters. They're going to bill you whatever they're going to bill you and, once you come to after you faint from reading it, you're going to pay it. It's not like you can go to the competition for a competative quote. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Electric Pole transformer cost #5  
Looks like a regular 12000 volt/ 120V/240V secondary transformer. 25 may refer to its size, my guess is 25K watt. Another stab would be about $2000. Labor is often the largest cost. Rat...

/ Electric Pole transformer cost
Thanks Gary & Rat.

Yeah, the electrician says a 25KVa. (If I heard correctly.)

You're right Gary, no choice in the matter. Hopefully they'll setup a payment plan.

Rat, that is what the electrician said too, they'll really get me on the labor.

Bummer.
Neil.

/ Electric Pole transformer cost #7  
I had one pole removed and two installed with one transformer. This was 3 years ago and the price was $2700. What upset me the most other than the price was they wouldn't even let me have the old pole they took out. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Electric Pole transformer cost #8  
<font color="blue"> they wouldn't even let me have the old pole they took out. </font>
Around here, the old poles were treated with creosote, which can not be used anymore. I imagine that when they (electric company) take the old pole out they are responsible for proper disposal, which wouldn't include giving the pole to the homeowner. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Electric Pole transformer cost #9  
Just curioius. Why are they charging you? Around here, the power company is responsible for wiring to the homeowner's meter base. When we built our house, there was no power on the road, just phone lines. The power company paid the phone company to replace six or seven poles with taller ones, strung the wiring to a pole at the corner of my property, dropped about 400' of underground cable in a ditch I provided, installed a padmount transformer, ran secondary about 100' in another ditch I provided to my meterbase and connected it. Total cost to me was $0.00. The power company rep had me sign a paper giving them right-of-way to maintain their cable and transformer, then gave me $1.00 in payment...........................chim

/ Electric Pole transformer cost #10  
Consider yourself lucky. Today, the power companys may provide a pole or two, but after that, its your's to buy. I am a bit suprised that there is a cost for the transformer, thats a new one. I have seen about 2000 to 3000 feet provided be it above or underground (120V/240V) only on the underground. Rat...