Improvised Rigs or Rube Goldbergs

/ Improvised Rigs or Rube Goldbergs #1  

/pine

Super Star Member
Some things can't wait and most if not all of us have had to make do with what we have on hand...in a pinch...

Anyone else ever used a hose clamp to hold a starter cable on a battery?...how about socket for a bushing when the only bolt available was too long?

/ Improvised Rigs or Rube Goldbergs #2  
Made me smile.:laughing:. Pine,, I've always had the right piece for every job.:rolleyes:. no really,, I am not lying,:eek:, really every job.. we all been there but me.. really,, am not joking.:confused3:. Lou

/ Improvised Rigs or Rube Goldbergs #6  
A few years ago, I was having a new deck installed on my house. To set the cedar posts, we were digging post holes down about 24". I got my tractor and post-hole auger to make it a simple job. Unfortunately, the ground was so dry and hard that the auger just went down below the grass and stopped. We ended up digging the holes with a hand post hole digger. That day, my expensive PHD seemed VERY Rube Goldberg-ish.:D

/ Improvised Rigs or Rube Goldbergs #7  
The link said of the MM Rube Goldberg tractor/power source.. "but apparently not many bought them". That's because everyone said the same thing I did when first laying eyes on it. "what in the heck is that thing?"

/ Improvised Rigs or Rube Goldbergs #8  
I like the bolt and socket idea, have to remember that one. I once broke off a starter bolt in the engine block, and then broke off the easy out trying to remove the bolt. At that point I decided to punt and take it to a shop. I used a C clamp to hold that side of the starter on so I could drive the truck there.

/ Improvised Rigs or Rube Goldbergs #9  
Many a motorbike has limped home with a small vise-grip substituting for the gearshift lever lost in the crash.

/ Improvised Rigs or Rube Goldbergs
Many a motorbike has limped home with a small vise-grip substituting for the gearshift lever lost in the crash.

I knew an old man that used a pair of vice grips for a steering wheel on an old station wagon...no lie...!