Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7800

Default Re: Which handgun for Home defense?

I like the M&P line. You may want to check out an apex trigger kit for your M&P. It does a fantastic job with the trigger, which helps to improve accuracy. If you are firm on your choice as a handgun for HD, I would stick with the M&P and look into the APEX kit.

That said, having recently taken an NRA course on HD, I would consider a few things: What is the construction of your home - brick or siding? Do you have neighbors close to you that might be endangered by stray rounds? Do you have other occupants in the house that might be affected by bullets passing through walls? I used to have a 12 gauge with 00 buck behind the door, but I have since switched to birdshot. At close range (most indoor situations), that will be more than adequate while limiting collateral damage.

Do what works for you. Good luck!

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

12 out of 25 is pretty darned good!! I have never really shot clays but if there as hard as doves i have shot 100+ shells and only killed 16 doves before!! Now i shoot at ones i should not but i just like to shoot
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4700

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Dan, when I started in law enforcement, officers did not have to shoot a passing score. The head man at the academy told the class that if you can't shoot at least 70 or better, you should go out to the range on your own time and practice until you can because your life might depend on it some day. But we didn't have to do that. Now we were always seated, or lined up, in alphabetical order, so the same guys were always on either side of me. One of them just couldn't seem to get the hang of shooting a handgun; S&W .38 spl. 6 shot revolver with 4" barrel. Several of us used to make a little bet; the one with the worst score had to buy the cokes when we finished on the range. That one guy never joined in on that because he knew he'd lose. But in spite of his apparent inability to shoot, he never showed any signs of stress. And, of a class of 29 officers, he was the only one to ever have to use his gun in the line of duty a couple of years later; fired 5 shots, hit the suspect with all 5. He couldn't seem to hit that target that wasn't shooting back, but when it really mattered, he kept his cool and did what had to be done.

Of course, in later years, rules and laws changed and officers are required to qualify. And in Dallas, the minimum passing score is 80 instead of 70.
    I talked to a guy years ago who was an officer up Nawth back around 1970ish. He said their firearms class was either four or eight hours. I can't remember if they had to even shoot.

We have to fill out a bunch of paperwork at the range. When it is time, we line up and start writing. Whatever number is next to your name is your firing position. We had a guy, who has retired, who was scary with a weapon. Very smart and has done many impressive things in his life but he was kinda an absent minded professor type and a scary with a gun. A bunch of us where a bit worried about his firearms handling so when it was time to line up to fill out the paperwork, we would wait for him to get up and for others to get in line behind him. We would get in line once there were a few people between him and us. We did this for years.

While he was iffy with a firearm I have seen that same guy diffuse nasty situations. It takes all kinds sometimes.

Another guy was not the best with a firearm but he was not dangerous. He always had low scores but one evening someone tried to carve him up like a Thanksgiving Turkey with a large knife. Two rounds fired with two hits while getting the heck back. Training does work.

Later,
    Dan

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

JD 3720 with R4s
    X740

Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out charge card.

Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X500

Quote Originally Posted by Deere Dude View Post
    Fastest draw dies.
    Did somebody shoot him in the back?

Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Quote Originally Posted by rekees4300 View Post
    Did somebody shoot him in the back?
    He died of a heart attack this past December.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota BX25

Hey guys, how many of you have ever actually had to shoot event shooter with your gun?

Tractor
    2009 Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by check View Post
    Hey guys, how many of you have ever actually had to shoot event shooter with your gun?
    Sorry for the typo. I meant "shoot an intruder?"

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by check View Post
    Sorry for the typo. I meant "shoot an intruder?"
    I am not sure a lot of guys would want to talk about something like that over this media
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Quote Originally Posted by Deere Dude View Post
    Loved watching his stuff on the shotting shows, seems like he had been doing that dbl shot for years! he looked a good bit younger in that vid and that vid was an easy 30-35 years ago it looked like.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast