Which handgun for Home defense?

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #31  
This is not an arguement over a handgun vs shotgun, right or wrong, I prefer a handgun for home defense for my own reasons. What I am struggling with is should it be a revolver or pistol? I have a S&W M&P 9mm compact that used to be my conceal carry. I have found another gun for that purpose now. I'm trying to decide if I want to use this pistol as my main home defense gun. I was always a revolver guy, and although it is possible to have a malfunction with a revolver, I feel it is much more reliable than a pistol. With that said, it is hard to argue the magazine capacity (firepower) of a pistol. In the case of my M&P 12 and 17 round magazines. I am on the "fencepost" on whether I will keep the 9mm or sell it and purchase a revolver. I used to own a Ruger Gp100 357 but traded it a couple years ago. I do miss it. You can't argue the knockdown power of a 357 magnum. I would not shoot it for years but it would always go "bang" I have thought about the 8 shot S&W 357 although expensive does give me more capacity. I am looking for something that I can put away loaded in my lockbox and forget about it until needed. When I do need it, I want it to work. With a revolver you don't have to worry about getting that cartridge from the magazine to the barrel. It is already there and ready to go. I am concerned about the magazine spring in a pistol. I have searched the internet and get various opinions on spring life. I have emailed Ruger, S&W, Springfield and all of them replied back that they do not recommend leaving a magazine loaded for a long period of time due to spring setting. They recommend checking the spring length periodically and rotating magazines. But can't get a clear answer of how often. Will the oil on the slide rails gum up over time? With all the other things around the house to maintain, do I want to add something else? I took my pistol out to the range the other day and purposely tried to "limp wrist" it by hold it low on the grip and allowing it to recoil up. It did "stovepipe" on me 2 of the 3 shots. So now if I'm hiding behind cover and reaching around, will the same thing happen? Looking at the revolver, if 3 "bad guys" come knocking down my door, will a six shot be enough? I would much rather have the higher capacity at that time. Not sure if there is a clear answer on this subject, but just looking for your thoughts and opinions.
IMHO you are WAY to concerned about choice.I am a smith & wesson MP owner and believe they make a quality product,I have 9c,shield,full size mp pistol.Everytime I shoot them they GO BANG.One has to remember Capacity is King in a serious gun battle.coobie

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #32  
It depends on what I grab at the time. A revolver is more likely to be reliable. If one is not experienced at clearing a room with a shotgun it can easily be levered away in close quarters, say...rounding a corner in the dark. It pays to review the layout of your home and anticipate how you will clear it before the time comes.
I always have more than one as its been my experience when you need it most, it won't be close. And yes, I think the judge will leave a mark no matter what you send out of it from 10' away. I believe a double tap with a .410 followed by a 45LC would work pretty well. The 410 from 10' will surely break an assault and your aim doesn't have to be 100% true, permitting a quick follow up.
I also have to say, when the lead starts flying, only an idiot will stand up and say....its only a 22. The reaction is always the same and 90% of the time it will be duck and run.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #33  
I also have to say, when the lead starts flying, only an idiot will stand up and say....its only a 22. The reaction is always the same and 90% of the time it will be duck and run.

Only a .22?? Yep, I've personally seen at least 2 fatalities from .22; one a murder with a semi-auto, the other a suicide with a revolver.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #34  
If you want to aggressively defend your life, and your property, and you may have to reach out with your handgun, I recommend an HK Mark23, it's what I bought, the 1911 was good but the Mark23 is the only handgun considered an assault handgun, all others are considered personnel defense.

HS

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #35  
A friend recently told me that they have no illegals guns, they have undocumented ones.

First, you need a gun that you will practice with and are comfortable with. Personally, I like a .45ACP 1911, but also like the S&W M&P 9C. If I was to get a home defense shotgun, I would look seriously at the Remington Versamax tactical. 10 rounds auto loader, easy to shoot, handles any load.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #36  
watch the Hickok video on youtube with the judge. He shoots it with 45lc and 410 bird and buck shot. The buck shot penetrates some metal ductwork at say 20 feet and anything smaller than that wont, like 4 and 6 shot. The spread on it is so great that at about 30fet you are liable to totally miss the person. For a gut gun it will be a killer but that video really opened my eyes as to its effectiveness.

Actually I think its a bond arms gun, I know it is its a break open derringer, but its basically the same point.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #37  
If they get over the moat, through the razor wire and past the dobermans........they'll see my 357 revolver or 12 ga. shotgun. :thumbsup:

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #38  
I chose a S&W 640 in .357. Only 5 rounds but in a form without a hammer to catch on, no safety to fumble, small yet quick to present, fast recovery from a round that doesn't fire, unquestioned cartridge power.

If the adversary is a mob, I'm toast. But a single intruder or two will regret the attempt.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #39  
I say go with what you shoot best. If you're worried about personal safety, six well placed revolver shots are better than 14 pistol potshots. If you want to carry a revolver but you're concerned about the low bullet count, the speed strips are a great way to carry another six rounds in your pocket or in a knife case hooked onto your belt.
I carry pistols, but that's just me, I own a few revolvers and like them all, but I've always qualified with and carried pistols. My usual carry is a seven shot P239, but I always keep an extra magazine with me, same for the little P238 that I sometimes carry when dressed up.
I think a personal defense firearm is mostly for getting you out of a situation, either by defusing it or making them keep their heads down long enough for you to get some real firepower.

One of the old gun writers always said that he carried a pistol because it was easier to carry than a rifle, but if he knew he was going into a fight, then he would carry a rifle, the pistol was only to help him get to the rifle.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #40  
If I were you, I would use the full size auto, perhaps download the mag a couple of rounds, and put on a weapons light, and be done. I put my faith in 12 gauge pumpguns, semi auto pistols, and a revolver. The springset thing is way overblown generally. But down loading a couple of rounds would solve that, and as for the lube gumming up, Not likely with good modern lubes, and besides you should take the handgun out once in a while and practice with it. Clean out any dustbunnys and lube it back up. There have been instances of 7 round 45 acp magazines being loaded for over 60 years and functioning perfectly. However modern double stack mags with the emphasis on maximum capacity have trended to using a smaller diameter spring wire, and may not be last as long. But still I think it is not a big concern. If you want a revolver, get a revolver, they are simple to operate and fit a lot of people well for reasons already pointed out by others, but there is nothing wrong with your fullsize semi-auto either. And nothing wrong with a good 12 gauge with 00 buck either. All guns have advantages and disadvantages as already pointed out. The layered approach is a good one.

James K0UA