Which handgun for Home defense?

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #1  

JMER817

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4120
This is not an arguement over a handgun vs shotgun, right or wrong, I prefer a handgun for home defense for my own reasons. What I am struggling with is should it be a revolver or pistol? I have a S&W M&P 9mm compact that used to be my conceal carry. I have found another gun for that purpose now. I'm trying to decide if I want to use this pistol as my main home defense gun. I was always a revolver guy, and although it is possible to have a malfunction with a revolver, I feel it is much more reliable than a pistol. With that said, it is hard to argue the magazine capacity (firepower) of a pistol. In the case of my M&P 12 and 17 round magazines. I am on the "fencepost" on whether I will keep the 9mm or sell it and purchase a revolver. I used to own a Ruger Gp100 357 but traded it a couple years ago. I do miss it. You can't argue the knockdown power of a 357 magnum. I would not shoot it for years but it would always go "bang" I have thought about the 8 shot S&W 357 although expensive does give me more capacity. I am looking for something that I can put away loaded in my lockbox and forget about it until needed. When I do need it, I want it to work. With a revolver you don't have to worry about getting that cartridge from the magazine to the barrel. It is already there and ready to go. I am concerned about the magazine spring in a pistol. I have searched the internet and get various opinions on spring life. I have emailed Ruger, S&W, Springfield and all of them replied back that they do not recommend leaving a magazine loaded for a long period of time due to spring setting. They recommend checking the spring length periodically and rotating magazines. But can't get a clear answer of how often. Will the oil on the slide rails gum up over time? With all the other things around the house to maintain, do I want to add something else? I took my pistol out to the range the other day and purposely tried to "limp wrist" it by hold it low on the grip and allowing it to recoil up. It did "stovepipe" on me 2 of the 3 shots. So now if I'm hiding behind cover and reaching around, will the same thing happen? Looking at the revolver, if 3 "bad guys" come knocking down my door, will a six shot be enough? I would much rather have the higher capacity at that time. Not sure if there is a clear answer on this subject, but just looking for your thoughts and opinions.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #2  
I use a bazooka myself.:D Mossberg Model 500

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #3  
JMer - that is why I have a shotgun with 5 rounds of -00- buck and 5 more on the stock...I can't miss 3 or 8 guys all charging in...they are going down plus I like the effect of racking in the first shot...that ought to make any sane or insane person do a 180 and run...saving me from having to shoot anyone...which I sure would rather not ever have to do...Shotguns are forgiving ...pistols or revolvers not so much...remember the adrenalin will be rushing through your veins.....but if you are set on it ...then if it were me it would be a revolver for the reason you mentioned and exactly what you worry about...not just the magazine spring but jamming, misfires..etc.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #4  
Something to think about for sure. Right now my "solution" to that quandary is a S&W revolver to shoot until I can get my G23 with tactical light out of the drawer. I am not a Boy Scout and have never been, but have always believed in a backup and in some cases a backup to a backup. I have a Sig 228 that has stayed secreted for years at a time with full mags and when I get it out; don't remember how long ago, it always goes bang, bang, bang....

On my Glocks, I try to remember to rotate my mags every six months just because.

You make some good points and I will have to give it a bit more thought and if I come up with something close to intelligent, I will post back; maybe even if I don't.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #5  
here's my view on what you said.

you have that spare 9 that you are already familiar with. you used it as a carry gun.. your hand is fmailiar with it and you can operate the controls... thos are plus's and it's free.

I'm mostly a semi auto guy.. but do own a couple revolvers... and those revolvers are my first go to for the home defense setup the wife and i have worked out. here's why. as you stated.. revolvers are pretty plain and simple and don't jamb. pretty much pont and click.. da function is fine. My wife.. simply has difficulty operating the slide of most semi auto pistols. the large frames like 1911 are too much recoil spring for her.. the smaller semi auto aren't enough gun for her to get her hands on for a grip. She CAN operate a revolver..and she CAN operate a pump action on a shot gun. thus we have a multi stage defense plan. a revolver on each side of the bed for immediate respons. have tactical flashlights too. i have a couple different carry guns i use depending on clothing and season, and my cary gun ( all semi auto ) are within reach, as is the revolver, of my sleeping position. same with a pump action 12g. easy reach.. though all weapons mentioned are concealed and hid.

in the first moment of emergency, the revolver is an easy grab and shoot and drop gun... you get 5 'bangs' with 99.9% chance of correct operation, and no slide or safety to fumble with.. that
s a drop gun.. fire and drop.. no fumbling with reload. them 5 bangs lets me decide if I need to go to my semi auto or the party pleaser. during this time the wife has her own gun and her job is to get on the phone and get into the side romm while I'm covering. we have further plans for extended situations or multiple attackers.. etc.. :)

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #6  
I am very partial to the revolver. Nothing is perfect, but a fine quality revolver will give you as close to a guarantee of 6 shots as anything man made. They make speed loaders and some new things called "strip loaders" as I recall. I also like a revolver because my wife can handle it without much ceremony. I recall the old big game hunters who used to use the double rifles. The reason? They were almost guaranteed two shots...not always so with a bolt action, pump action or a semi auto. My reasoning is a hit with a .22 is better than a malfunction with a baretta 9mm. In the long run, it's a matter of opinion, based on your confidence in your firearm and your experience.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #8  
JMer - that is why I have a shotgun with 5 rounds of -00- buck and 5 more on the stock...I can't miss 3 or 8 guys all charging in...they are going down plus I like the effect of racking in the first shot...that ought to make any sane or insane person do a 180 and run...saving me from having to shoot anyone...which I sure would rather not ever have to do...Shotguns are forgiving ...pistols or revolvers not so much...remember the adrenalin will be rushing through your veins.....but if you are set on it ...then if it were me it would be a revolver for the reason you mentioned and exactly what you worry about...not just the magazine spring but jamming, misfires..etc.

all good points i agree with!

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #9  
revolver to shoot until I can get my G23 with tactical light out of the drawer..

we think alike.

use the low capacity but reliable revolver as a transition gun till we can bring out something else..

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #10  
My wife has a 20ga, auto Beretta, I have a SW 357 revolver in my night draw.. Lou