Street Motorcycles

/ Street Motorcycles #11  
I ride to work everyday almost year round but I am also not on the road with fast driving trucks possibly dropping chunks of coal in my path either yikes. My 883 got 40ish avg and my Heritage gets 32 town and 40+ hwy fwtw.

/ Street Motorcycles #12  
I rode motorcycles from 1965 to 2012 and it has been my experience that you are either a motorcycle person or you are not and if someone buys simply to save gas/save money, they will never be happy with it. I have been run off the road more times than I can count, crashed a few times, rained on and drenched to the bone; one time I had court and got caught downtown Kansas City in a torrential downpour with LOTS of lightning. My suit did not handle it well nor did my nerves.

I love motorcycles and miss mine terribly, but they are simply not for a lot of people. My son now rides mine back and forth to school and is a happy guy, but he is also a lifelong rider.

/ Street Motorcycles #13  
I rode motorcycles from 1965 to 2012 and it has been my experience that you are either a motorcycle person or you are not and if someone buys simply to save gas/save money, they will never be happy with it. I have been run off the road more times than I can count, crashed a few times, rained on and drenched to the bone; one time I had court and got caught downtown Kansas City in a torrential downpour with LOTS of lightning. My suit did not handle it well nor did my nerves.

I love motorcycles and miss mine terribly, but they are simply not for a lot of people. My son now rides mine back and forth to school and is a happy guy, but he is also a lifelong rider.

Nailed it Larry!

/ Street Motorcycles #14  
That may be all he needs to get hooked never know we all started somewhere! :D That is a pretty good excuse for the wife Ive heard it said before. ;)

/ Street Motorcycles #15  
That may be all he needs to get hooked never know we all started somewhere! :D That is a pretty good excuse for the wife Ive heard it said before. ;)

True, we all started out somewhere, but most of us wanted a motorcycle because we wanted a motorcycle for the fun aspect of it. All I am saying is that most of the people I know who have bought motorcycles fr their economy etc. have been disappointed and some even hurt pretty badly or scared to death. Now as to the reasons we give our wives...:laughing:

I was riding long before I got married, so I never had to justify my bikes, bikes were just known to be part of the package. I did save a BUNCH of money riding mine during my college years, but my employer did not allow me to ride as it was deemed not to project a "professional image"; very long story.

/ Street Motorcycles #16  
I have a 1100 yamaha v star it gets around 54 mpg if you take it easy and its a very comfortable bike

also have a harley davidson 883 sportster it gets around 45 mpg and will beat you to death
i love the sportster, but it's not a good choice for a daily commuter

/ Street Motorcycles #17  
Once I got married and had a kid my cycle days slowed down. I rode all thru school raced a bit of mx and I still piddled with them later and always had a few sitting around in one state of repair or other. Money was always tight for me/us so priority's shifted from wants to needs like it does for folks. Now at just about retirement age we can buy what we want and do what we want when we want all within reason of course. :)

And now the daughter is been married and long gone for quite a few years my wife and I do a lot of traveling on the Harley every chance we get and she loves it I am a lucky guy. Its the only way to see the USA is all I can tell a new guy besides take it easy and learn the proper way to turn a bike and be safe out there! :thumbsup: (thats my story and I am sticking to it :laughing:)

/ Street Motorcycles #18  
My first motorcycle was a 250cc Zundapp, but I didn't keep it long because the dealer just could not get it to run properly. Then I had a 350cc Yamaha, a 400cc, 650cc, and 1200cc Hondas, and finally an 800cc BMW.:laughing: There's lots of reasons to ride a motorcycle, but as others have said, gas mileage ain't one of'em.;)

/ Street Motorcycles #19  
Try around 600cc or tad bigger,to lighter bike harder ride..not much comfort room.
You'll be surprise how easier to handle bigger bike,if anything have crash bar.

/ Street Motorcycles #20  
It seems there is a trend among aging boomers towards trikes. I also read that older riders are experiencing higher crash rates, probably due to loss of agility, vision, hearing, muscle tone, etc. Older people break easier and take longer to heal. I don't know how old you are, just tossing that out there.

Except for select climates, I think bikes are for fun, not commuting. I vote for the small car. You don't have to plan your day around the weather, you can do errands like drop off and pick up things, get groceries, etc. much easier in a car. You will be safer in a car in case of accidents, as Bob pointed out.

Last edited: