Street Motorcycles

/ Street Motorcycles #51  
I'm glad to see some other dual sporter's out there! I'm riding a KTM 640 enduro (took it on a 4,000mi trip, over 2,500 of that was all offroad/dirt) and it beats the heck out of my Harley Heritage softail that I had. I'll never have another Harley again.

Regarding the 250cc cruisers, my wife bought a Hyosung 250 cruiser, it gets insane mileage and is actually sort of fun to ride. I wouldn't spend much more than 5 mins on the highway though, for a commuter.

You can pick up a good used SV650 (Suzuki) for around 3 grand, it would probably be in really good shape as well, they dont' hold their value at all.

Look into the Kawi Ninja 250's as well. This year they replaced them with fuel injected 300, those have really good reviews for cheap prices.

I certainly wouldn't recommend commuting on a bike, unless your doing it because you love bikes. :thumbsup:

Notice the tank on my wife's Hyosung. :D

View attachment 310274

View attachment 310275

View attachment 310276

View attachment 310277

Very nice bikes.:thumbsup:

/ Street Motorcycles #52  
No comment. :laughing:

/ Street Motorcycles #53  
'95 FXST, raked with a built EVO. I don't care for the computer scooters any more.

95FX.jpg

/ Street Motorcycles #54  
'95 FXST, raked with a built EVO. I don't care for the computer scooters any more.

View attachment 310298

A few more years and I'll go back to a "geezer glide". :D

/ Street Motorcycles #56  
It is getting deeper. :laughing:

/ Street Motorcycles #57  
I think a Suzuki V-Strom 650 or a Kawasaki Versys would work well for you.
Can be found reasonably priced, get decent gas mileage, reliable, and fun.
Snap some luggage on and use it to get to work on the weekdays. Pop the luggage off and have fun tearing it up on the backroads and twisties on the weekend.
Personally I'm not into the 800lb cruisers with 2 inches of suspension travel

/ Street Motorcycles #58  
Let me start by saying that I currently ride a 2010 HD Fatboy and my wife rides a 2012 HD Street Glide. Great bikes but both are gas hogs.

That said, the best bikes we ever owned -- bar none -- were a pair of Honda CN-250 Helix 250cc scooters. I had a 1997 and my wife had a 2002 model. I'm 6'1" and 250 lbs and could maintain 60 mph no problem. My wife at 5'7" and 130 lbs could easily maintain 70 mph. Turbulence is what it is but those bikes got great mileage, were 100% reliable, and had no clutch -- just twist the throttle and go. Not the bike to ride if you are trying to project an image but if you (like me) just don't give a darn what other's think of your mode of transportation they are hard to beat. I rode mine from 1997-2010 as a daily commuter without a single trip to the shop. Oil changes and one belt change was all it took. Wish I could say that about my HD motorcycles.

Last edited:
   / Street Motorcycles #59  
After reading this thread, no one has mentioned a Maxi-Scooter. I used to (retired now) regularly commute on my Suzuki Burgman 400cc. There are many advantages to these bikes which may fit your situation.

A 'Maxi' is not your standard scooter. They have a longer wheel-base = stability, more power for the highway (I have never had a problem maintaining 110kph + heaps of passing power) and they are CVT automatic. That means that they are 'twist & go' = less to worry about gears & braking and more time to watch the "tin-tops" that are ALL out to get you. (Sorry, "tin-tops" are what we Aussies bikers call cars:)).

You also ride these Maxis as you would a cruiser. Randys_AN400A.jpg I call mine my Lounge Chair On Wheels. The petrol tank & motor are low, again this equals great stability. I replaced the factory windscreen with a larger GIVI screen which actually wraps the wind around me and 'hits' me on my back. Under the seat is a huge, lockable, boot (what you would call a trunk) that has the capacity for 2 full-face helmets. If you're commuting there's plenty of room for all of your wet weather gear + a briefcase/backpack.

Give it a go. There are many makes of Maxi Scooters out there. Piagio/Gillari (yes, the Vespa people) have a 500cc 3 wheel version (2 up front) that is incredibly stable!

/ Street Motorcycles #60  
I went cross country twice on a Yamaha 650. My wife rides her Yami 1100 and is the bike we load up with all the camping stuff. I never had a problem with trucks and got as high as 57 mpg. My wife's bike did mid 40's. You can pick up a 650 made in the early 2000's for lesss than $2500. They go forever and 25000 miles is nothing on these.