Street Motorcycles

/ Street Motorcycles #81  
Best chain lube (IMHO) is 90w gear oil, dribbled on after a ride when the chain is hot. Thicker oil stays on longer. It is also way cheaper than spray lube.

My evidence: 36,000 mi so far on an O-ring chain, lubing every 350 mi or so.

I like that Dupont product because 1) I can be a bit lazy about cleaning chains, 2) Price at Lowes is decent, esp. when compared to boutique MC chain sprays, 3) While I try and stay to blacktop when I'm out rambling (street tires), I like the fact that the Chain Saver material is continuously shedding dirt as I'm driving - nice when I'm connecting dots on the map and end up on dirt roads.

That's high miles that you've racked up mvwicker, it seems to be working well for you. A basic lube, applied consistently, works wonders on chain/sprocket life - That's the premise behind the auto-oilers many guys like.

For folks that won't/can't take care of chains properly, they are much better off with a belt, IMO.

Rgds, D.

/ Street Motorcycles #82  
Most have said it well - riding a motorcycle will save gas but will not save money, overall. I own seven motorcycles at this time (2 kids' 50 cc, 1 Honda Z50, 2 250cc 4-stroke dirt bikes, Honda VFR, Yamaha FJR) and have about 60,000 road miles. Between tires, batteries, and other maintenance items, none of the road bikes I've owned have paid for themselves in fuel economy.

I second the recommendation of a dual sport bike. Something along the lines of a Kawasaki Versys / V-Strom 650. Both of these are less dual sport and more sport-standard bike.

Not trying to start a battle, but all the Harleys I've ridden have accelerated slowly, handled poorly, and the brakes were only a suggestion to stop. I love American machinery, but Harley does not do it for me. I would not recommend a heavy cruiser as a first bike - although mine was a Honda Shadow 750.

/ Street Motorcycles #83  
I concur with almost everything speedy says and don't think you can go wrong with a Kawasaki KLR650. However, HD has finally fixed their brakes on some models. I won't argue the slow acceleration comment. I am old and slow myself so maybe I just don't notice that my bike is slow too. I'm retired and never in much of a hurry. My 2010 HD Fatboy has crappy brakes; probably what bspeedy has experienced. My wife's 2012 Street Glide has outstanding antilock brakes. No comparison. I've ridden since the early 70's and ridden about every kind of bike, trike, and scooter except crotch rockets. I plan to take a financial hit on my Fatboy and sell it in order to buy a newer Harley -- probably a Street Glide -- just to get the antilock brakes. OBTW My wife also had a 2011 HD Tri-Glide (trike). Stay clear of that garbage. HD bought her lemon back rather than go to court over the nonfunctional brakes on that one.

/ Street Motorcycles #84  
I concur with almost everything speedy says and don't think you can go wrong with a Kawasaki KLR650. However, HD has finally fixed their brakes on some models. I won't argue the slow acceleration comment. I am old and slow myself so maybe I just don't notice that my bike is slow too. I'm retired and never in much of a hurry. My 2010 HD Fatboy has crappy brakes; probably what bspeedy has experienced. My wife's 2012 Street Glide has outstanding antilock brakes. No comparison. I've ridden since the early 70's and ridden about every kind of bike, trike, and scooter except crotch rockets. I plan to take a financial hit on my Fatboy and sell it in order to buy a newer Harley -- probably a Street Glide -- just to get the antilock brakes. OBTW My wife also had a 2011 HD Tri-Glide (trike). Stay clear of that garbage. HD bought her lemon back rather than go to court over the nonfunctional brakes on that one.

Fair enough - my Harley riding is limited to 2008 and older models. And, in the interest of full disclosure, a Street Glide is on my 'gotta buy if I win the lottery' list.

Mike - try a sport bike just once. Even if you aren't in a hurry, you will appreciate the amazing amount of power in a small package.

/ Street Motorcycles #85  
bspeedy, The Street Glide is a great around town bike. Its shorty windshield sucks at speed and produces severe buffeting for me (6'1") but in reality our riding is usually in town at 45 mph or slower. 40 mph in the slow lane headed to Sonic for a root-beer float is more our speed. The smallish hard bags are plenty roomy for my wife's purse and my wallet and reading glasses. I don't know where we would stow that stuff on a sport bike. :)

/ Street Motorcycles #86  
One of my good buddies has a Street Glide. We swapped bikes when we both had our wives riding pillion. He rode my FJR1300 for about 40 miles in some twisties and was like a kid in a candy store. I enjoyed the torque and the sound of the v-twin. FJR has hard bags. Come over to the dark side bu-wah-ha-ha-haaaaaaaaaaaaa.

On a side note, seems like a lot of us tractor folks also love bikes. Maybe because the tractor / bike is just the start - it's the accessories (farkles, in bike terms) that make them OURS.

/ Street Motorcycles #87  
Only a motorcyclist knows why a dog sticks his nose out the window. :thumbsup:

/ Street Motorcycles #88  
Only a motorcyclist knows why a dog sticks his nose out the window. :thumbsup:

Yep, I had to give mine away last year and miss it terribly. My son loves it though and someone is getting to enjoy it.:thumbsup:

/ Street Motorcycles #89  
Sorry to hear that TripleR I can just imagine how you feel.

I know my days are numbered too my back is always giving me fits shoulders too but I keep super strength acetaminophen in my windshield bag and I use them. I put a drivers back rest on my Heritage and that helps a lot also put heated grips on for the cold weather riding I do I am getting soft in my old age haha. :laughing:

/ Street Motorcycles #90  
Sorry to hear that TripleR I can just imagine how you feel.

I know my days are numbered too my back is always giving me fits shoulders too but I keep super strength acetaminophen in my windshield bag and I use them. I put a drivers back rest on my Heritage and that helps a lot also put heated grips on for the cold weather riding I do I am getting soft in my old age haha. :laughing:

That ain't getting soft, it's called adaptation.:thumbsup:

I briefly thought about a Spyder, but that's just not the same.