Garlic from China. What gives?

/ Garlic from China. What gives? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Look, I'm as American as the next guy but I think I've finally reached my fill of stuff from China. I inadvertantly bought garlic at Sam's Club that was grown in China. What?

I'm as red blooded as the next guy--I have some Chinese tools, drive a Japanese truck and and carry an Italian jack knife. But Chinese garlic? Is there no end to this? I mean, how can garlic grown and packed there and shipped all the way over here in containers and unloaded by longshoreman and trucked and distributed with semi rigs even dare to compete with the price of American garlic? Who's on first?

It's good looking and all and looks just fine but at what price success?

Here's the proof. Read it and weep.

001.JPG002.JPG

/ Garlic from China. What gives? #2  
Be interesting to send it to a lab to see what chemicals are in it.
I'd toss it!
90cummins

/ Garlic from China. What gives? #3  
I mean, how can garlic grown and packed there and shipped all the way over here in containers and unloaded by longshoreman and trucked and distributed with semi rigs even dare to compete with the price of American garlic? Who's on first?

Apparently, the US has been importing garlic from China for some time (http://aic.ucdavis.edu/profiles/Garlic-2006B.pdf).

Why? Garlic production is labor intensive. According to a prototype enterprise budget from Iowa State (https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/crops/pdf/a1-17.pdf), it takes 7.15 hours of labor to produce and harvest 35 pounds of garlic.

Steve

/ Garlic from China. What gives? #4  
They have to use all that sewage water for sumptin' ..... :)

/ Garlic from China. What gives? #5  
When you plant garlic cloves upside-down, they come up in China. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.:D

/ Garlic from China. What gives? #6  
Apparently, the US has been importing garlic from China for some time (http://aic.ucdavis.edu/profiles/Garlic-2006B.pdf).

Why? Garlic production is labor intensive. According to a prototype enterprise budget from Iowa State (https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/crops/pdf/a1-17.pdf), it takes 7.15 hours of labor to produce and harvest 35 pounds of garlic.

Steve

The page for garlic production in your Iowa link page 9, shows "Total Annual Costs" of $157.36 with a "Annual Returns Over Total Cost" of $43.89. If I am interpreting that correctly, that doesn't sound like a bad return, and the labor component was calculated at $10/hr.

There are some things missing, such as a bad year where production is nil or low. And no labor charge for "leaning on shovel while watching garlic grow." :laughing:

But seriously, what gives? Is it because not enough people can work for $10/hr, or what?

/ Garlic from China. What gives? #7  
Grow your own - one of the easiest things to grow once you have the right bulbs//dig a 3-4" hole in the late fall (tulip planter works well), add compost/bone meal/blood meal & then mulch the bed. Nothing to do in the summer except cut off the flowers, then dig the bulbs up & hang to dry.

/ Garlic from China. What gives? #8  
There are some things missing, such as a bad year where production is nil or low. And no labor charge for "leaning on shovel while watching garlic grow." :laughing:

Dave,

If you look at the other budgets, you will see several other crops that show higher potential returns.

The kicker is that marketing costs are not included. As explained earlier in the publication:

"Note the budgets include receipts as well as costs through harvest and handling. Marketing and/or transaction costs have been excluded. Marketing costs vary tremendously based on whether products are distributed through a community supported agriculture share, wholesaler or direct through a farmers market or other outlet. For this reason, they have not been included in the budgets. Marketing costs should,however, be included to determine crop profitability because, in some cases, costs can shift annual returns from a positive to a negative number."

Individuals who produce these specialty crops need access to suitable markets and savvy marketing skills.

The UC-Davis publication says that most commercial garlic production in the US is grown under contract.

Steve

Last edited:
   / Garlic from China. What gives? #9  
I get Garlic from the US in the local store.:D

Don't take any Chinese Garlic home.:thumbsup: