Assessor came by today

/ Assessor came by today #21  
here in ONTARIO we have an agency that assesses on "FAIR" :confused2: market rates ,,, they just calculate how much your property should have gone up in the last year and that's what your tax bill is .... so any equity that you should have accumulated in your house goes to the government immediately and hopefully you get it when you sell.

/ Assessor came by today #22  
Dave, it is the same here. My taxes are almost split 2/3 to the local school district, the remaining to the county. Understandable I guess, but when I go by some of our rural schools and see those $500k digital signs, I cringe. ( PO'd allot of folks when they put those up)

/ Assessor came by today #23  
Here I am pretty sure they work it the other way. They figure out how much they want to spend and then just adjust the tax rate and or valuations to get the number they want ;)

/ Assessor came by today #24  
That's why I just go behind the barn.

If you protest your assesment in Texas, I have heard they will ask you how much insurance coverage you have on the structure. Hard to argue the shed is only worth $1,000.00 when you have it insured for $50,000.00.

If we disagree with the appraisal, we have a certain length of time in which we can go talk to one of their appraisers. Then if still not satisfied, we can fill out a form to go to a hearing board; again that has to be done within a certain length of time. Each year, they try to raise my appraisal. The first year, I went and talked to an appraiser and she lowered it with no problem. The second time, the same thing, just a different female appraiser. But the year I had a knee replaced, I didn't get down there within the time limit to file an appeal. So since that guy knew I couldn't file an appeal to the hearing board, no way he was going to change the appraisal to a reasonable number.:laughing:

At the present time, I have no doubt at all that the appraisal is more than I could sell this place for. However, since I would not be willing to sell it, even for the appraised amount, I haven't complained.:laughing:

/ Assessor came by today #25  
We're (the town) getting a total revaluation over the next two years. Should be exciting. There is pressure developing here to collect more from property taxes, and less from income. Unless people scream, that means a higher "ransom" on keeping your property.

In NH, you are lucky he didn't say you had a "view" pole barn. :laughing:

What this translates to is less taxes on the people who don't own anything and don't contribute much of anything.... and more burden put on the people who invest in the community to support to people that do nothing but take....

Is there anywhere left to go when municipalities are not stealing from the productive to give to takers.... And the takers are not satisified with what they take.. they want more!

Regards,
Chris

/ Assessor came by today #26  
What this translates to is less taxes on the people who don't own anything and don't contribute much of anything.... and more burden put on the people who invest in the community to support to people that do nothing but take....

That might be correct in some ways, but you know that property owners with property they rent out have to make the rent high enough to include the taxes on the property, and a profit or they get rid of that property. So, indirectly renters are paying property taxes, and the renter also pays income tax and does not get the tax deduction the property owner gets. Yep, I've been a renter and I've been a property owner, and I think everyone knows the property owner has the advantage.

/ Assessor came by today #27  
Dave, it is the same here. My taxes are almost split 2/3 to the local school district, the remaining to the county. Understandable I guess, but when I go by some of our rural schools and see those $500k digital signs, I cringe. ( PO'd allot of folks when they put those up)

We have one of those signs in front of our new elementary school too. It's mounted on a brick base, it's quite attractive. I bet you got off cheap at $500. :laughing:

People just have to learn we can't live so high on the hog.

/ Assessor came by today #28  
Yeah, about those high dollar schools, near me is a middle school that I call the "castle" school! Man, you should see that thing! Now, having been a teacher, we need to have decent buildings - RIGHT - decent, not some CASTLE looking place that we taxpayers are funding! My wife has been inside the place, and she said it's castle looking inside too.

/ Assessor came by today #29  
That might be correct in some ways, but you know that property owners with property they rent out have to make the rent high enough to include the taxes on the property, and a profit or they get rid of that property. So, indirectly renters are paying property taxes, and the renter also pays income tax and does not get the tax deduction the property owner gets. Yep, I've been a renter and I've been a property owner, and I think everyone knows the property owner has the advantage.

Bird, property owners also get tax advantages (at times) have to pay income tax on rent and are liable for the property and its damages/upkeep. I dont think they make out as well as some think. If they sale they probably pay several taxes, not to mention keeping up with codes.
We have one of those signs in front of our new elementary school too. It's mounted on a brick base, it's quite attractive. I bet you got off cheap at $500. :laughing:

People just have to learn we can't live so high on the hog.

Yeah 500k probably would have only redone our road, even though no bus comes out here:laughing: If schools spent the money on DIRECT education, I would be good with it. I like the sports programs, but there is a place too much $$ is spent as well.

/ Assessor came by today #30  
Hi all

We don't have taxes like that in Australia. The unimproved value of the land is taxed is reassessed by the State Govt every several years and that value is what the local Council base their land rates on. I could put up a castle and it would just need Council building approval but it would not change the rates I pay. Emigrate to Australia guys :)

Mike

Well sort of. Our previous Labor Government (Think Democrats) changed the system to an annual valuation (with no inspection of course) they just jack up the price each year. They also changed the system from unimproved value to improved value, but only for commercial property. And they "streamlined" the objection process.

Previously if enough people in an area objected they would re-evaluate the whole area. Also if you objected to your higher valuation they had to justify the increase, and you could escalate your case to an independent arbitrator. Now under the streamlined process, you may object, and they can feel free to ignore it with no appeals process except through the courts.

The things governments do when they need money eh?