Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740HSTC, Massey Ferguson 2615

Default Re: Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...?????

Quote Originally Posted by toppop52 View Post
    To quote Meatloaf, "Stop right there, before you go any further!" You've just insulted at least 90% of my wife's state paid patients. They use to have to ask them if they were looking for work, but now it is prohibited to ask. My wife said the favorite answer when asked was;"I don't want no job, I be losin' my check and WIC and phone, and I have to get up early and stuff and I like to sleep in. She says about 90% are late for their appointments with no excuses and are insulted if you mention it. One a few years ago, a 25 year old, came in with her sexually active daughter that was 12, you do the math. She asked my wife for ;"Them pregnant drugs, 'cause she been tryin' to get pregnant for 6 months and we need the extra money." Mom and daughter were sharing the same man, which is way common in the area among the welfare culture.
    So, it may take the child out of a bad home for a few hours, it's not going to lead to much added production to the economy.
    well, that's seriously depressing. How many "lost generations" do we have? And the issue is how to stop losing.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1533

Brin, and others, posted this a while ago. Haven't gotten too far into it, but it fits with this topic rather well and how we have gotten to the point we are at.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/f...ry-lesson.html

Also, John Taylor Gatto's book(s) are worthy of a read, too.

Google
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." -
    Prof. Al Bartlett

Any person is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts and outcomes. So one may believe as they will, but will be held accountable by the numbers for their beliefs. At the end of the day, life is a school of probability. Jesse via Jesse's Cafe Americain

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

To quote Meatloaf, "Stop right there, before you go any further!" You've just insulted at least 90% of my wife's state paid patients. They use to have to ask them if they were looking for work, but now it is prohibited to ask. My wife said the favorite answer when asked was;"I don't want no job, I be losin' my check and WIC and phone, and I have to get up early and stuff and I like to sleep in. She says about 90% are late for their appointments with no excuses and are insulted if you mention it. One a few years ago, a 25 year old, came in with her sexually active daughter that was 12, you do the math. She asked my wife for ;"Them pregnant drugs, 'cause she been tryin' to get pregnant for 6 months and we need the extra money." Mom and daughter were sharing the same man, which is way common in the area among the welfare culture.
    So, it may take the child out of a bad home for a few hours, it's not going to lead to much added production to the economy.
    It is your view the hours spent with the parent figure(s) has a larger impact then those spend in a classroom at the age of four?

Tractor
    Simplicity 4041 Pow'rMax, Murray Garden Max, Simplicity ZTR

Quote Originally Posted by Gale Hawkins View Post
    It is your view the hours spent with the parent figure(s) has a larger impact then those spend in a classroom at the age of four?
    The size of the impact is debatable, but the quality would be no better for that group of kids for sure. I was using my example to answer another post that ask if it may make the parents more productive.
    Randy
    Southern boy and proud to tell it! Live and let live...

Tractor
    2003 NH TC30

Quote Originally Posted by schoolsout View Post
    Good missive on Common Core being implemented all over
    Comments below are worthy of a read, too.

"Common Core" Must Be Blocked in [Market-Ticker]

Much more at link
    I like common core and it is a vast improvement over Maine's prior "Learning Results". It is not for everyone, being actually pretty tough at all levels. I'd say the majority of students will struggle mightily with it.
    But it is a good to shoot for. It prepares one in the 3 R's for the traditional 4 year college. It is freeley available on the net- just type in common core curriculum in google.

....What was a real waste of time was No Child Left Behind. That was a garbage testing fiasco. Every state went their own way...as long as the fed dept of Ed gave the go ahead. It resulted in nothing, no improvements and plenty of shell games. The common core at least is a real curriculum guideline. It is logical in its progression. However our state is doing its best to water it down, to turn it into pablum. Already their are contracts signed to measure it with mandatory testing. That's where it begins to come apart. Administrators/lobbyists/ed departments should stay out of the process. Let the teachers go to work. Instead it will soon become another on paper monstrosity created by paid consultants....another No Child Left behind. For folks who don't like it- starve it of money and it will never become a reality, except in name only!
    Last edited by tcreeley; 04-11-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    various items

Tractor

I noticed that one of focuses on Common Core was improved mathematics, and apparently a sea change shift from teaching the tried and true progression of mathematics, including those parts that have minimal social impact on those we most worry about, (trig? algebra?) to one based on useful application. Now I don't want to rile up any math teachers here, but I don't think I've used a cosine in the last 63 years.
    Math was taught like a foreign language, and to me at least, it was. I had to be tutored in high school to get through some of it; but let me write an essay, and I'd get an A. 2x(5+4Z) just isn't going to help me getting my toast right in the morning...

Nor will it help the young man in front of me at the 7-11 last week who looked at a handful of change in his hand so long the store clerk had to suggest what went together to make 83 cents... Ok, he might have been "developmentally challenged" but I'm just using this as an example.
    How is the kid ever going to balance a checkbook? How will his generation? Well, at least they can type. But I wonder how many of them
    have zero idea what a QWERTY keyboard is? No wonder we are all LOL...not.

Tractor
    1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery

Toppop; Is it possible for your wife to tell the late shows, that "Your appointment time was at _________, and since you missed it, you will need to reschedule"? It's certainly what I would do, unless it would cost me a job. Of course, there are those that think me less than nice, at times.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag.

If you're going to climb in the saddle, better be ready for the ride!

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours!" - Dolly Parton

Tractor

there are those that think me less than nice, at times.

Impossible!

good morning FarmGirl, you're up early too.

Tractor
    1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery

Quote Originally Posted by daugen View Post
    there are those that think me less than nice, at times.

Impossible!

good morning FarmGirl, you're up early too.
    Good morning, daugen! And thanks!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag.

If you're going to climb in the saddle, better be ready for the ride!

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours!" - Dolly Parton

Tractor
    2003 NH TC30

Common core pushes the math- the majority won't meet the standard due to the bell curve of ability. Somehow the public remains unaware of this, along with the gov administrators. A back story to this is that the heritage society and other similar groups are foisting unrealistic expectations onto public education in order to "splinter" it, opening doors to privatization and capitalistic opportunity. There is a good deal of money being disbursed for public services and the private sector would dearly love to open the floodgates.
    Common Core State Standards for ELA
    http://www.maine.gov/education/lres/math/index.html
    common core ---- the same across the country for the most part
    good guidelines, but as standards - not so good
    various items

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast