Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...?????

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #21  
When I worked for the state, we interviewed a lot of young school teachers who although they loved teaching, were leaving the profession simply because they were tired of the BS.
That and... The last time I checked Oklahoma was the 2nd lowest paying for school teachers.

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #22  
heard this a few hours ago on the Herman cain radio show as a sould clip from MSNBC. MY mouth was hanging open in disbeleif. NOt only do we spend more per child i think on education than other developed countries (yet our children collectively do worse) but why are we all responsible for some deadbeats kids, in a way you are, but my kids are mine and you are not teaching them "YOUR" ways!!

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #23  
Parents make a big difference for most kids. Parents who acted like idiots tended to have kids that did not fall too far from the tree. Parents who valued education tended to have kids that did their homework and were generally interested in learning.

Yeah. A lot of the problem lies with the parents. Sorry if that upsets anyone.

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #24  
That and... The last time I checked Oklahoma was the 2nd lowest paying for school teachers.

I don't know about that... they might have to arm wrestle with Mississippi and South Dakota for that spot!! :laughing:

AKfish

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #25  
I don't agree with this and it scares me that we are going down this path...that this kind of thought is even present in an educator or any right thinking adult is frightening:2cents:

MSNBC Host: All Your Kids Belong To Us

I think you're "reading too much into it"!! :eek: I'd rather have an educator who views children and the well-being of all children as a shared responsibility akin to the philosophy of "it takes a village to raise a child" as opposed to sink or swim - I don't really care...

AKfish

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #26  

The starting salaries for state employees were probably not much of an improvement; so I doubt that was much of a motivating factor. I worked for the state for 18 years, knowing that I could probably make more in the private sector, but all in all was the best job I ever had. Benefits for state employees are not all that bad either.

FWIW, the current wisdom seems to correlate a good education with huge sums of money. IMHO, pouring money down the rat hole that passes for public education today doesn't do much more than pad the bank accounts of the hoards of sperfluous administrators and teachers. Air conditioning and hot lunches are good, but not really necessary...neither are multi-million dollar facilities with all the attendant accoutrements for sports. Good? Yes. Necessary? No. I learned as much in a one room school house with all 8 grades and one teacher; a pot bellied stove, hand pumped water and two outhouses; one marked "Boys" and one marked "Girls".

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #27  
It's the insane lack of relativism with liberals that drives me nuts. We need to ban high capacity assault rifles for "the children"...it's always the children and yet the MSM can't follow the trial of an abortionist conducting late term abortions and in fact botching the job on them and scissoring the spinal cord below the skull after delivery producing screams of pain if one believes eye witnesses.

Why would I have a child and then entrust liberals to raise them when they're comfortable killing them after they're born because of the parent's wishes. Why is it that murdering a pregnant woman is two crimes but you can kill a child that's been delivered? How far will we slide? "Your pre-schooler pointed his finger like a gun at another child so we aborted him. You're welcome."

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #28  
Education and Money

When money is tossed at education it seldom goes to the teacher.

I do not care how bright the guy is who plows the state highway but I would like to see kids educated by bright teachers. Now I fully realize that not everyone who works for the state drives a dump truck. We need smart teachers and right now most anyone smart enough to do the research will choose not to teach.

Our local high school has about 75 students with about 100 in the grade and middle school. We lost our excellence school superintendent. They guy who replaced his came with a brand spanking new PhD. He promoted a plan to build a million dollar sports complex far enough away from the school that it could not be used for physical education or any other classes. We voted it down but I expect it will resurface.

Our school board seems to hire coaches that can teach other classes. Which is crazy in that we barely have enough kids to field a team some years.

In short I think it is more a matter of spending the money where it will do some good in conjunction with getting the fed out of education. Dumping standardized testing etc etc.

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...?????
I think you're "reading too much into it"!! :eek: I'd rather have an educator who views children and the well-being of all children as a shared responsibility akin to the philosophy of "it takes a village to raise a child" as opposed to sink or swim - I don't really care...

AKfish

AK - I would agree with you in a perfect world...It would be wonderful to be able to trust the teachers, school staff and others to help our children and to help us in raising them.

Here is the problem the way I see it, when we allow others to have free reign in helping to form our children's mind and view of life, we give up the freedom to control the input into their mind or handling during the time they are in the other persons care or custody...The news is full of examples of teachers and school staff that are of a far different political or religious persuasion than that of my wife and I ...so we would have to be very selective in choosing who we would entrust our children...

Have you heard some of the horror stories of what has been and is being taught to kids in school...just recently in one class room a teacher had all the students write " Jesus " on a sheet of paper and then told them all to throw it on the floor and stomp it...One boy refused and was suspended...his father had a meeting with the administrators and the teacher was either suspended or fired...just one example...

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #30  
Bob unless you are willing to and equipped to educate you children at home what choice do you have ?

It is very important that parents do the parent teacher conferences and work with teaches if anything seems wrong, this is not limited to grades. A teacher can do a much better job if he knows and understands the parents expectations and the parent knows the teachers expectation.

Without a doubt some schools are so far off the mark that this is not possible. If possible you shop for a school that is better. If not you join the home school crowd.