Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...?????

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #31  
I like kids.....I think they deserve the best care possible. With that said.......if they're "our" children.....why can't I have a say as to who has them? I want "our" children to do well....have a personal work ethic....grow up thinking there is no free lunch and want to be a contributor to society vs a taker. I want "our" children to know family love. My kids were taught that way......they're doing well. If other kids belong to all of us.....should we have a say as to the environments in which they are raised? Should the parent of "our" children be required to support "our" kids or should they not have "our" kids if they can't provide adequate financial and family support? "My" kids are good citizens....support themselves...have good educations....have family.....know love. I wish "our" kids had the same!:2cents:

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...?????
Bob unless you are willing to and equipped to educate you children at home what choice do you have ?

It is very important that parents do the parent teacher conferences and work with teaches if anything seems wrong, this is not limited to grades. A teacher can do a much better job if he knows and understands the parents expectations and the parent knows the teachers expectation.

Without a doubt some schools are so far off the mark that this is not possible. If possible you shop for a school that is better. If not you join the home school crowd.

3vo - I know...you're right , parents must either home school, choose a private school or they sure better be very ...very involved with their kid's school, teachers and administrators or be ready to accept whatever robot the child is formed into. - Great point

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...?????
I like kids.....I think they deserve the best care possible. With that said.......if they're "our" children.....why can't I have a say as to who has them? I want "our" children to do well....have a personal work ethic....grow up thinking there is no free lunch and want to be a contributor to society vs a taker. I want "our" children to know family love. My kids were taught that way......they're doing well. If other kids belong to all of us.....should we have a say as to the environments in which they are raised? Should the parent of "our" children be required to support "our" kids or should they not have "our" kids if they can't provide adequate financial and family support? "My" kids are good citizens....support themselves...have good educations....have family.....know love. I wish "our" kids had the same!:2cents:

Well said.,..I agree :thumbsup:

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #34  
3vo - I know...you're right , parents must either home school, choose a private school or they sure better be very ...very involved with their kid's school, teachers and administrators or be ready to accept whatever robot the child is formed into. - Great point
It is really much worse the being a robot. The school environment is so nasty that they come out with a value system that is useless, nasty at best. The nasty clicks, cheating, and general putting one over on both teachers and fellow students are valued. Nice kids finish last in school.

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #35  
Bob unless you are willing to and equipped to educate you children at home what choice do you have ?

It is very important that parents do the parent teacher conferences and work with teaches if anything seems wrong, this is not limited to grades. A teacher can do a much better job if he knows and understands the parents expectations and the parent knows the teachers expectation.

Without a doubt some schools are so far off the mark that this is not possible. If possible you shop for a school that is better. If not you join the home school crowd.

How many inner city parents attend PTA? How about inner city "teachers", for that matter?

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #36  
Just my opinion, but if someone is waiting and counting on the school system, or society for that matter, to teach your kids right from wrong, then you have already doomed them to a harder life. They should be grounded with good values before entering school.

For instance, The kid that wouldnt "stomp" on the paper he wrote Jesus on, IMO, he stood for what he believed. He will likely be a leader and not a "sheep"

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #37  
Western said:
Just my opinion, but if someone is waiting and counting on the school system, or society for that matter, to teach your kids right from wrong, then you have already doomed them to a harder life. They should be grounded with good values before entering school.

For instance, The kid that wouldnt "stomp" on the paper he wrote Jesus on, IMO, he stood for what he believed. He will likely be a leader and not a "sheep"

Do you have a link for that story?

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #39  
The "stomp on Jesus" news story I found involved Florida Atlantic University college students in an intercultural communications class.
Florida school apologizes after students stomp on 'Jesus' - U.S. News

"[Florida Gov.] Scott cited news reports indicating students were told by the class instructor to write "Jesus" in large letters on a sheet of paper and to place the paper on the floor in front of them. The students were given a brief time of reflection and then were told to step on the paper and tell the class how they felt."

Here is an interview with the professor:
Interview with professor at center of 'Jesus' debate at Florida Atlantic | Inside Higher Ed

Here is what the student says about it:
FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus « CBS Miami

I am concerned that a college professor following a published course exercise became the victim of the Christian Mafia. We have separation of church and state, but the Gov. of Florida takes time to criticize a professor and college for being insensitive to religion. Freedom cuts in all directions.

In any case, the story has little to do with K-12 public schools indoctrinating children.

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #40  
I don't agree with this and it scares me that we are going down this path...that this kind of thought is even present in an educator or any right thinking adult is frightening:2cents:

MSNBC Host: All Your Kids Belong To Us

Try homeschooling your kids and one may learn how the system can intimidate parents who think they have a right to train up the children into agreeing their kids belong to the state/federal governments.

While there are cases of abuse in and outside public schools this debate may not last much longer as she speaks for the top 1% in national education circles I expect today.