Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...?????

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #41  
We have separation of church and state,

Dave that may be the case up north where this concept was introduced but down our way that does not seem to be the case.

The church does not tell the state what to do ever but the state is forever telling the church what it must do it seems from my angle.

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #42  
Dave that may be the case up north where this concept was introduced but down our way that does not seem to be the case.

The church does not tell the state what to do ever but the state is forever telling the church what it must do it seems from my angle.

Oh, it is a contentious topic, for sure. I probably said more than I should have already. Suffice it to say a college student should be mature and well-grounded enough to simply say "I am not comfortable with that" when confronted with such situations, no matter what is involved. I wasn't there, but I don't get the feeling that that is what transpired.

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #43  
I agree the topic can be contentious. The one thing I noticed after school consolidation in our area years ago that the top students seemed to achieve even more but the bottom students sank even lower. I think every group has its agenda and tends to think theirs is the most correct. :)

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #44  
I was going to say that was a college that the "kid" would not stomp jesus, but it did not matter to the story as he put it.

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #45  
A few years back I was good friends with both a family that home schooled their daughter and the local high school super.

When I suggested to the supper that the home schooled girl should be allowed to participate in band or something like that I heard a very definite flat no. I did not inquire further.

It seems to me that it should not have to be all or none. The parents were paying taxes like the rest of us. I could guess at motive but it would only be guessing.

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #46  
Home schooled kids here can and do participate in extracurricular activities. I don't think the local school can deny them even if they wanted to.

Home schooling was very rare when our kids were school aged, at least where we were living. I have mixed feelings about home schooling. Here, there is no academic qualification for the parent to meet, but students are required to take an annual academic achievement test or review by a certified teacher.
Maine DOE - Requirements, Forms & Laws

According to the above link, "During the 2011-12 academic year, 4,730 Maine students were registered with their local superintendent of schools and the Maine DOE for homeschooling."

"Maine's public schools educated 186,906 students as of April 1, 2011. The schools they attend employ 16,450 teachers and 35,487 other staff members.
During the 2010-11 school year, 13,489 students attended private schools, and 4,777 students were home-schooled.
Maine's public-school students attend school in 164 school administrative units run by 120 superintendents. Those units operated 604 public schools during the 2010-11 school year.
For 2009-10, Maine high schools recorded a graduation rate of 82.82 percent and a dropout rate of 3.46 percent."

The previous governor did a shoot from the hip at school district consolidation to save on admin costs, but it hasn't been a universal success and has met with plenty of resistance, especially in rural areas.

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #47  
Oh, it is a contentious topic, for sure. I probably said more than I should have already. Suffice it to say a college student should be mature and well-grounded enough to simply say "I am not comfortable with that" when confronted with such situations, no matter what is involved. I wasn't there, but I don't get the feeling that that is what transpired.

Bear in mind, said student likely just spent 12 years being indoctrinated by an ever increasingly left wing liberal school system.;)

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #48  
Bear in mind, said student likely just spent 12 years being indoctrinated by an ever increasingly left wing liberal school system.;)

I considered that aspect. I will leave it to the historians to decide if the schools became more liberal, or some of the population took a right turn. :laughing: If he was indoctrinated, then why did he react as he did?

College should involve some challenging of beliefs and attitudes. A young person should be forced to discover and examine their beliefs, and to develop the ability to rationally support their opinions.

Since the course where this occurred was titled "Intercultural Communication", I would assume it involved developing an awareness of what may be offensive in various cultures. Stepping on "Jesus" sounds like an attempt to demonstrate that within our culture, some actions can cause resentment or squeamish feelings, and the same applies to various actions in other cultures.

Choosing an action that would be considered by many a blatant disregard for our culture, is intended to get the point across I suppose.

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #49  
My wife I have to correct a fair amount of mid- information our kids are taught at school. Like two weeks ago our fourth grader came home with homework the teacher had given on the Constitution and Bill of Rights. A question on the homework was, "What amendment gives citizens the right to bear WEAPONS". Not arms, but weapons.
Yes, they change the wording to fit as close to their agenda as they can.
That's my opinion, and I'm not humble about it.

/ Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...????? #50  
The "stomp on Jesus" news story I found involved Florida Atlantic University college students in an intercultural communications class.
Florida school apologizes after students stomp on 'Jesus' - U.S. News

"[Florida Gov.] Scott cited news reports indicating students were told by the class instructor to write "Jesus" in large letters on a sheet of paper and to place the paper on the floor in front of them. The students were given a brief time of reflection and then were told to step on the paper and tell the class how they felt."

Here is an interview with the professor:
Interview with professor at center of 'Jesus' debate at Florida Atlantic | Inside Higher Ed

Here is what the student says about it:
FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus ォ CBS Miami

I am concerned that a college professor following a published course exercise became the victim of the Christian Mafia. We have separation of church and state, but the Gov. of Florida takes time to criticize a professor and college for being insensitive to religion. Freedom cuts in all directions.

In any case, the story has little to do with K-12 public schools indoctrinating children.

While what you say is true, it's not to unreasonable to expect a bit of sensitivity, good taste and good judgement not only in our professors, but in the course of study. It seems to me that the comment by the retired teacher, where in he asked the students what their reaction would be if he stomped on the bible, seemed to accomplish the same thing, without interjecting what I believe was utter disrespect. After all, this is a college atmosphere, a little common sense isn't to much to expect.