Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
    Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Default Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...?????

I don't agree with this and it scares me that we are going down this path...that this kind of thought is even present in an educator or any right thinking adult is frightening

http://www.westernjournalism.com/msn...-belong-to-us/
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Default Re: Our Kids belong to everyone ....collectively...?????

Bob, that was the way it was for century's in many cultures. I think it works IF the collective has a good "rudder" so to speak. I guess it would depend on exactly what your referring to as "belonging to everyone"
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Tractor
    Kubota, B7100HST-D

I think the message is that the entire community should care about each child. The intent is to pick up the slack for parents who are letting their children and the community down.
    How's that that old saying go? It takes a village to raise a child.
    Steve

The best things in life are not things.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

It is not uncommon for school funding to a large part of property taxes.

If I have to pay to educated you kid maybe he could stop by and rake the lawn.

Seriously government first got involved in education to ensure that everyone was vanilla.

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    I don't agree with this and it scares me that we are going down this path...that this kind of thought is even present in an educator or any right thinking adult is frightening

MSNBC Host: All Your Kids Belong To Us
    She connects it to education, which is the scary part. I have no problem with society, or neighborhoods taking some responsibility for the moral development and behavior of our children, from a passive perspective, but she seems to be advocating an institutional solution, i.e. having the government take responsibility for the mental, moral and political development of our children, in lieu of the parents, something akin to the Hitler youth.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

I kind of get what she is talking about but I don't think it would fly in today's world.Even the parents in some respects don't have a lot of control on their kids.I.E. spanking can be seen as assault.
    Now when I grew up in the fifties,If I messed up in the neighborhood or school my parents soon found out.The school also had the right to discipline(our principle had a large paddle and wasn't afraid to use it) couldn't happen today.

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

Quote Originally Posted by nybirdman View Post
    I kind of get what she is talking about but I don't think it would fly in today's world.Even the parents in some respects don't have a lot of control on their kids.I.E. spanking can be seen as assault.
    Now when I grew up in the fifties,If I messed up in the neighborhood or school my parents soon found out.The school also had the right to discipline(our principle had a large paddle and wasn't afraid to use it) couldn't happen today.
    You know, and that was a good thing, but it was more of a social/neighbor/friend of the family thing than it was some sort of mandate from the government.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

There really are a lot of parents out there unsuited to raise kids. Unfortunately the public schools are in such bad shape that they generally make it worse.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Quote Originally Posted by 3v0 View Post
    There really are a lot of parents out there unsuited to raise kids. Unfortunately the public schools are in such bad shape that they generally make it worse.
    Thats the truth!
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Tractor
    Struck Magnatrac 6000, Kioti DK40SE

Government is destroying the traditional family by dis-incentivizing marriage by providing all sorts of paid benefits to "single" mothers. With the state providing care for the kids from the time they are born and the parents accustomed to receiving all the benes is it any wonder that an ever increasing portion of the US feels that they're entitled to the "community" caring for their spawn. This is now viewed as "what the government is there for". Get used to it. It's only gonna get worse.
    "I don't do landscaping... I do battle with vegetation"

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast