Dealing with a thief?

/ Dealing with a thief? #11  
Press charges. From your posting, he's done it before, didn't take the hint when your dad talked to him and just became more brazen. Even if he would have taken the hint after your father's talk, he'd just avoid your place and victimize another place. At least in jail he won't be stealing until he gets out again.

/ Dealing with a thief? #12  
It's nice to lay out all kinds of scenarios but the bottom line is Legality. Everything you do has to stay within legal boundaries. Repeated complaints to the Law Enforcement Officers may be the only choice. Remember they also have some pretty strict guidelines to operate to.:)

/ Dealing with a thief? #13  
As for how to deal with the kid -- there is nothing you really can do unless there is an eyewitness or a video of him stealing again. I am surprised you havent put up a hunting game camera up yet. One in garage and one outside in best place you think to cover most ground.
Next I am not sure what do you mean about bringing DSL to the garage - if you already have a high speed network in house, then you just need to have network cable brought out to the garage to install a networked cable with a IP network camera installed to keep an eye on it.

/ Dealing with a thief? #14  
low buck repellant ...

a bucket of RIT dye [ for dying clothes ] in a bucket strung over the door way ,,, with a cord to the door .. open the door and the bucket tips the dye onto the "thief" ... the dye stains the skin for a couple of days " he's a marked man " ....

just remember to tell dad to avoid the barn for a couple of days till the "incident occurs"

banks use the same method.....

/ Dealing with a thief? #15  
low buck repellant ...

a bucket of RIT dye [ for dying clothes ] in a bucket strung over the door way ,,, with a cord to the door .. open the door and the bucket tips the dye onto the "thief" ... the dye stains the skin for a couple of days " he's a marked man "

A thief is not a thief until he takes something.
Dump a bucket of dye on a person, and the best you could get him for would be trespassing, perhaps with a touch of embarrassment. Get it in his eyes, and you may even have some explaining to do.

I would go after him on the motorcycle. it is likely the highest value single item that he has taken from you, and as mentioned may push it up into felony charges.

Even if he manages the beat the rap, it would let him know you are serious.

Game cameras might not be a bad idea too, either IR, or with a motion activated flash. Or, if you want to hide the flash, use flood lights, either on all night, or motion activated.

/ Dealing with a thief? #16  
"Dealing with a thief" is the job of the legal system.

Your job is to secure your property.

------------

"Your job, should you decide to accept it...

This tape will self-destruct in 5 seconds."

What program was that? :)

Bruce

/ Dealing with a thief? #17  
Some good advice already provided.......just pisses you off this stupid kid gets away with it. I like the idea of a couple of buddies laying low and beating the crap out of this kid.....just make sure they wear masks so they can't be identified. Make sure they don't kill him....just break a few bones and leave a mark! They could also mention that he is no longer welcome on your property and ask him politely to return the dirt bike.:thumbsup:

/ Dealing with a thief? #18  
What used to happen is that a group of guys would get together and pay him a visit. Just enough to scare him straight. Too many people are scared to get involved now because of all the possible ramifications which lets the criminal get away with it for a while.

I suggest you use the deer cameras with infrared. They do not cost much and they are both effective and good documentation. Then ask the prosecutor to press charges - that will not be too difficult if you have video proof. Remember good things come to those who wait and you will probably be awarded restitution for those things that are not recovered. Just make sure you use a good valuation so as not to short cut yourself on the things that you cannot prove.

/ Dealing with a thief? #19  
You may also talk to the local scrap yard if you think your stuff is being melted down for scrap.
They may not want the publicity of dealing with stolen goods, or being served with a search warrant.

It sounds like this kid does quick turn-overs, but may not be bright enough to put some distance between himself, his hunting, and his selling places.

Photos are always good if you can predict what will be stolen, or have photographed a vehicle with the rims in question, or such.

/ Dealing with a thief? #20  
One of the stupidest things I ever did in my late teen years was to help an older friend of mine with a thief. He was a couple years older than me and fresh out of college managing the late shift at a local restaurant where I worked as a cook. After closing one weekend night the receipts for the whole day disappeared from the office before we left for the night. When it happened the only other guy in the place besides him and I was a middle aged guy that worked as a dishwasher. The cops were called. They questioned all three of us thoroughly and none of us had the money, so we were all set free to go home.

Since my friend's job would be on the line, we were both possible suspects, angry, and very confident the other guy did it, we decided to pay him a visit at his home late that night. I had previously given this guy rides home so I knew where he lived. I also coincidentally had a couple of splitting maul handles in my truck that seemed well suited for the occasion. We arrived at his door in the wee hours of the morning with tools in hand and proceeded with knocking and entering. We were just in the early discussion phase when the Police showed up to question him further. It was strictly by coincidence.

We were literally "caught" in a bad spot at that moment. Luckily they were the same officers that questioned us earlier and were very understanding of our conclusion. They were very careful to point out that my friend and I were fortunate they arrived when they did. If we had progressed any further in our "questioning" we would have been the ones going to jail. They were being lenient only because they were party to the whole story, and we hadn't yet committed a felony.

The thief was happy to see them. We left. The police found the money and arrested the guy. In hindsight I was way too close to prison. I thank God they did not arrive just a few minutes later. The story would have not had the same happy ending.

My advice to you (the OP) is to not try anything beyond assisting the LEOs with gathering enforceable information or evidence of what is happening. There is my :2cents: