Caught thief on game cam-What now?

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #11  
You sure the handyman didn't borrow/use it? I think I'd start there if I were you.

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #12  
It's obvious to me that one of these guys helped themselves to your piece of equipment. The first thing I would do is talk to both of them and ask if either of them "borrowed" your weed eater. It might be as simple as that. Be nice about it at first and tell them you need it back because you need to use it. Hopefully one of these guys will tell you they just grabbed it. Now, if both deny taking the item, do this. Tell them the garage is under surveillance because it is. Tell them your computer is not working at the moment but you should have the pictures downloaded from your computer repair guy in a couple days. Ask them if there is any reason why they would be on the video once you get the footage. Remember, you don't have it yet.... If they're still in denial, it's time for some interrogation. Call them over to your house with a picture of them entering the barn printed out. Tell them your computer repair man just sent this over and the rest of the video should be sent over momentarily. Tell them this is their last opportunity to make things right. Hand over weed eater now or be prosecuted. If they continue to deny taking it, tell them to have a seat as the video should be sent over within a few minutes. Use these few minutes to continue talking to him and trying to convince them to do right. Continue feeling them out. I think by now, you'll have a pretty good idea if they did it or not. Now, I would tell them you're going inside to check on the video. Tell them this is the last opportunity they have to make things right. Tell them if they're on the video you'll be calling police immediately and requesting they be arrested. Ask them if a weed eater is really worth time in jail. If they continue denying it, I would go inside and watch television for a minute and come back outside. You can either tell them you still don't have the video (if you need more time figuring things out) or you saw the video they're off the hook. Base this decision on your previous findings. This is kind of like a game of poker! Good luck! I hope you get your item back.

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #13  
Invite the boys over for a beer......show them the film.....talk to them about statistical odds......let them know that if your weedeater were to suddenly appear within the next day or two.....you might not go to the police or inform the carport company......keep your camera on......if the weedeater is returned.....chalk it up to experience and tell the boys to never step foot on your property again....if the weedeater isn't returned.....report to police and the carport company and provide film to both.....then....go buy a new weedeater. :2cents:

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #14  
Heck, just shoot 'em both and be done with it. :laughing:

BB gun, of course. :D

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #15  
It's obvious to me that one of these guys helped themselves to your piece of equipment. The first thing I would do is talk to both of them and ask if either of them "borrowed" your weed eater. It might be as simple as that. Be nice about it at first and tell them you need it back because you need to use it. Hopefully one of these guys will tell you they just grabbed it. Now, if both deny taking the item, do this. Tell them the garage is under surveillance because it is. Tell them your computer is not working at the moment but you should have the pictures downloaded from your computer repair guy in a couple days. Ask them if there is any reason why they would be on the video once you get the footage. Remember, you don't have it yet.... If they're still in denial, it's time for some interrogation. Call them over to your house with a picture of them entering the barn printed out. Tell them your computer repair man just sent this over and the rest of the video should be sent over momentarily. Tell them this is their last opportunity to make things right. Hand over weed eater now or be prosecuted. If they continue to deny taking it, tell them to have a seat as the video should be sent over within a few minutes. Use these few minutes to continue talking to him and trying to convince them to do right. Continue feeling them out. I think by now, you'll have a pretty good idea if they did it or not. Now, I would tell them you're going inside to check on the video. Tell them this is the last opportunity they have to make things right. Tell them if they're on the video you'll be calling police immediately and requesting they be arrested. Ask them if a weed eater is really worth time in jail. If they continue denying it, I would go inside and watch television for a minute and come back outside. You can either tell them you still don't have the video (if you need more time figuring things out) or you saw the video they're off the hook. Base this decision on your previous findings. This is kind of like a game of poker! Good luck! I hope you get your item back.

And if you do that to the handyman who regularly does work for you, and he's innocent, you've alienated an associate, and possibly a friend, who will never want to do work for you again. Or the carport dude gets ticked and lashes out at you for finding him out, and he causes bodily injury. Which is why you turn it into the cops and let them handle it.

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #16  
And if you do that to the handyman who regularly does work for you, and he's innocent, you've alienated an associate, and possibly a friend, who will never want to do work for you again. Or the carport dude gets ticked and lashes out at you for finding him out, and he causes bodily injury. Which is why you turn it into the cops and let them handle it.

There's nothing wrong with doing a little investigation. You'll probably put more time into a minor theft then the police will. I wouldn't worry about offending anyone. If you do offend the car port guy or the handyman and they won't do any more work, just hire a new one.

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #17  
There's nothing wrong with doing a little investigation. You'll probably put more time into a minor theft then the police will. I wouldn't worry about offending anyone. If you do offend the car port guy or the handyman and they won't do any more work, just hire a new one.

A little investigation, sure. Such as "Hey, you didn't borrow my weed eater, did you? It's missing, and you had access, just checking to make sure." That's fine, but interrogation is not a "little investigation". Plus, if the handyman does work regularly, he's probably a trusted individual, and possibly a friend since he lives in the neighborhood. Folks like that aren't easy to find nowadays. I wouldn't be as worried about offending the carport guy, since it's a one-time deal with him.

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #19  
It would be really strange if your trusted guy lifted it.

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #20  
A little investigation, sure. Such as "Hey, you didn't borrow my weed eater, did you? It's missing, and you had access, just checking to make sure." That's fine, but interrogation is not a "little investigation". Plus, if the handyman does work regularly, he's probably a trusted individual, and possibly a friend since he lives in the neighborhood. Folks like that aren't easy to find nowadays. I wouldn't be as worried about offending the carport guy, since it's a one-time deal with him.

I would do as much or as little investigation as your comfortable with.

I have an elderly friend who had a "trusted" handyman who he knew for years cross the line. This trusted handyman would often take the elderly man's credit card to the store to buy supplies. One day, the handyman decided he needed a few personal items himself and put those items on the credit card along with the supplies. But hey, what's a few personal items or a weed eater between "trusted" friends, right?