Caught thief on game cam-What now?

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #21  
You do have a point. My 89 y.o. grandmother has had some stuff belonging to my late grandpa go missing when her "trusted" guy was working around the house. (I tell her she probably just gave it away...when I want to be castigated :D).

Who knows?

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #22  
I would do as much or as little investigation as your comfortable with.
Agreed, and your definition was a little more than I would feel comfortable with. :)

I have an elderly friend who had a "trusted" handyman who he knew for years cross the line. This trusted handyman would often take the elderly man's credit card to the store to buy supplies. One day, the handyman decided he needed a few personal items himself and put those items on the credit card along with the supplies. But hey, what's a few personal items or a weed eater between "trusted" friends, right?

I understand, there are plenty out there who defy a friend's trust. I prefer not to, which is why I prefer not to accuse the handyman. To each their own, though.

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #23  
Sorry, but why leave the garage door open in the first place?

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #24  
Sorry, but why leave the garage door open in the first place?

Possibly a valid point (maybe there WAS a reason, such as, for the handyman), but just because it is open doesn't give the person the right to take it. Plenty of folks in my neck of the woods leave their homes unlocked, but that doesn't give someone the right to take their stuff. As a former boss always told me, locking doors just keeps the innocent people out.

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #25  
Possibly a valid point (maybe there WAS a reason, such as, for the handyman), but just because it is open doesn't give the person the right to take it. Plenty of folks in my neck of the woods leave their homes unlocked, but that doesn't give someone the right to take their stuff. As a former boss always told me, locking doors just keeps the innocent people out.

I totally agree with you. But I would not be inviting the potential theft is all.

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #26  
I totally agree with you. But I would not be inviting the potential theft is all.

Yep, which is why we always keep our stuff locked. Out of site, out of mind.

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #27  
If it was me I would talk to your handyman. I would tell him you noticed it missing after you had some work done by someone else and before you were going to call the police you just wanted to check to make sure he didn't borrow it. I would be casual but I would let him know that it was around the time he was doing work at your house so the police would probably talking to him as well. I might even try to see if he confirms to going into the garage. It would give him a way out if he did take it. If he didn't then he's not going to get upset when the police show up at his door and start asking questions.

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #28  
If it was me I would talk to your handyman. I would tell him you noticed it missing after you had some work done by someone else and before you were going to call the police you just wanted to check to make sure he didn't borrow it. I would be casual but I would let him know that it was around the time he was doing work at your house so the police would probably talking to him as well. I might even try to see if he confirms to going into the garage. It would give him a way out if he did take it. If he didn't then he's not going to get upset when the police show up at his door and start asking questions.
I would also ask if he saw anyone else around if he says that he didn't take it...

Aaron Z

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #29  
Yep, which is why we always keep our stuff locked. Out of site, out of mind.

Right. What will also seem suspicious to the police is leaving your garage door open with an active trail cam inside the garage. If you are worried enough to have a trail cam set up, you should close the door.