Caught thief on game cam-What now?

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now?
I leave the large door open while I am there because I go in and out the garage probably 20 times a day and with me being present most of the time I didn't expect something to walk off. The handyman goes in and out the garage for a hoe, shovel, hammer or whatever. The man installing the carport on the front of the garage over the door could have just stepped back into the garage a few feet to get out of the sun. Either one could have quickly grabbed the weedeater and thrown it in their truck.

I don't know which one did it but I do know that it was one of them. What really makes me mad is that I have had cheap weedeaters all my life and I finally went out and bought a real nice Echo that was only a couple months old.

I could kick myself for not having the cam set to take photos every 5 seconds when activated. I have an 8GB memory in it and its connected to a golf cart battery so it can take photos for about 6 months before I clear it or charge the battery.

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #32  
I leave the large door open while I am there because I go in and out the garage probably 20 times a day and with me being present most of the time I didn't expect something to walk off. The handyman goes in and out the garage for a hoe, shovel, hammer or whatever. The man installing the carport on the front of the garage over the door could have just stepped back into the garage a few feet to get out of the sun. Either one could have quickly grabbed the weedeater and thrown it in their truck.

I don't know which one did it but I do know that it was one of them. What really makes me mad is that I have had cheap weedeaters all my life and I finally went out and bought a real nice Echo that was only a couple months old.

I could kick myself for not having the cam set to take photos every 5 seconds when activated. I have an 8GB memory in it and its connected to a golf cart battery so it can take photos for about 6 months before I clear it or charge the battery.

So you were there when the perp took it? Wow, that's crazy! And, it's perfectly excusable to have your door open when you're home. Best of luck!

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #33  
Just ask them both if they have seen it. Perhaps you moved it and forgot??

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #34  
Just ask them "head or gut?" Which ever they choose, give them a hay maker there. Then grab a old record from your record player and break it over there head

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #36  
" my weed eater is missing guys, I guess I will learn how to work the new cameras I put up".

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #37  
Ask both guys if they borrowed it. Ask them if either went into the garage. The one that denies going into the garage, stole it.

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #38  
Just ask them "head or gut?" Which ever they choose, give them a hay maker there. Then grab a old record from your record player and break it over there head

Now that is funny!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #39  
Dudley, Just an opinion from an old cop:laughing: If you want to prosecute, if you actually find out who stole it, take what you have to your parish PD, they are the "pros" at interrogation and can "actually" do something if they have a lead. I agree with a previous poster, that your local LE may be working cases on either individual as far as other possible thefts go, so you may be doing the Parish a favor anyhoo.

OR, you could speak with each one, and just say " my new weed eater came up missing and wanted to check with you fellas 1st before I turn my PHOTOS and OTHER evidence over to the Police". Dont show your "cards", only reference you have "some proof" and just want your weeder back. It will go 50/50 likely. But you will have given them notice and they may destroy or sell it if they haven't already.

May also check the local Craig s list listings and area pawn shops within a few adjoining Parishes. May also check with your homeowners policy to see if you are cover for it, but you will probably have to file a police report anyway if you go that route.

Good luck

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #40  
I often find that sometimes giving someone an avenue to 'undo' what they've done with minimal consequences is a good way to get your property back. I just did it with a piece of electronic equipment that went missing at a business and got it back. I would just contact them and innocently say "Hey did you happen to borrow my weed eater while you were over the other day or see it? I can't seem to find it... I didn't check my cameras inside the garage yet and just thought you might have borrowed it since you were in there when you were here last time". The response will likely tell you all you need to know and if its the innocent party you haven't interrogated them or otherwise damaged the relationship. If they say no then say "ok thanks" and call the other guy. Knowing that there's a way out "they borrowed it" and also letting them know that there may have been cameras would probably cause them to quickly try to get out of it and say "oh yeah I borrowed it sorry I'll bring it back". That of course assumes reasonable people with some fear of consequences, which may not be a good assumption. Good luck.