Caught thief on game cam-What now?

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #41  
I often find that sometimes giving someone an avenue to 'undo' what they've done with minimal consequences is a good way to get your property back. I just did it with a piece of electronic equipment that went missing at a business and got it back. I would just contact them and innocently say "Hey did you happen to borrow my weed eater while you were over the other day or see it? I can't seem to find it... I didn't check my cameras inside the garage yet and just thought you might have borrowed it since you were in there when you were here last time". The response will likely tell you all you need to know and if its the innocent party you haven't interrogated them or otherwise damaged the relationship. If they say no then say "ok thanks" and call the other guy. Knowing that there's a way out "they borrowed it" and also letting them know that there may have been cameras would probably cause them to quickly try to get out of it and say "oh yeah I borrowed it sorry I'll bring it back". That of course assumes reasonable people with some fear of consequences, which may not be a good assumption. Good luck.

As soon as you tell a con you " haven't checked your camera yet" he will know your bluffing, that is the 1st thing some one would do. May work on a newbie caught up in the "opportunity/spur of the moment", but not a guy that has been around the block. Someone felt pretty comfortable taking it if they where there working.

I would be point blank.. "I have photos of you going in my garage and my weed eater missing (doesn't say he took it), I dont care how it gets back, but it better return. If they guy happens to have a criminal past (probation ectra, ) he has "extra motivation":D

Best option is the PD

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #42  
I vote for calling the police, turn in your evidence to them. They have way more experience than you, and as others have pointed out they may know more about these two individuals. When I was a rookie cop, many years ago, I was always amazed at the knowledge in the heads of the older guys. They could go to a burglary scene and tell you who did it by just looking around. But proving it was the hard part. They kept a database of hundreds of "crooks" in their heads with their M O's and all of their contacts, places they lived and stored stolen stuff etc. We used to go around all the time to these guys houses and storage areas and do drive by's to to see what you could see. At times you could see stolen stuff on their front porch or in the yard believe it or not. Some of these perps were not all that smart. Another thing we did was just go into a neighborhood, show the police car, and see who runs away. It is like a game, cops and robbers, in my county at the time you could go around and shoot about 50 guys, and all crime in the county would cease. It is the same old guys over and over. The cops often have a good idea who does most things like this, but proving it is the really hard part.

James K0UA

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #43  
Some of these perps were not all that smart. James K0UA

Good Mornin Dudley,
Sorry to hear about your new weed wacker, those Echo units are really nice, Ive had one for a few years now and love it !

I agree with James, -.- ----- ..- .-, and Western, tell them what you have, the weed wacker is missing, last chance to redeem themselves before going to PD, you might be surprized... :)

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #44  
I would probably set the camera up and add another camera to the mix, the person that done it, if he thinks he got away with it will be back and then you will have all the evidence you need.

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #45  
Why not just ask either of them who may have borrowed it. Tell them that it's missing and you wanted to check with them before checking out the camera you have. Easy, no body except the thief would be offended, and the thief will look to make up a story about borrowing it, so you don't press charges.

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #46  
Good Mornin Dudley,
Sorry to hear about your new weed wacker, those Echo units are really nice, Ive had one for a few years now and love it !

I agree with James, -.- ----- ..- .-, and Western, tell them what you have, the weed wacker is missing, last chance to redeem themselves before going to PD, you might be surprized... :)

QRZed? de K0UA

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #47  
QRZed? de K0UA

Good Afternoon James,
In a previous life I was WA1HLP, still miss those late nite code sessions ! :)

And to make the post legal, I hope Dudley gets his Echo back again ! ;)

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #48  
Good Afternoon James,
In a previous life I was WA1HLP, still miss those late nite code sessions ! :)

And to make the post legal, I hope Dudley gets his Echo back again ! ;)

QSL 73 de K0UA

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #49  
Talley...who sets a game cam to only shoot a pic every min??????? ...was that a mistake or are you trying to save on digital film:laughing:

/ Caught thief on game cam-What now? #50  
A little investigation, sure. Such as "Hey, you didn't borrow my weed eater, did you? It's missing, and you had access, just checking to make sure." That's fine, but interrogation is not a "little investigation". Plus, if the handyman does work regularly, he's probably a trusted individual, and possibly a friend since he lives in the neighborhood. Folks like that aren't easy to find nowadays. I wouldn't be as worried about offending the carport guy, since it's a one-time deal with him.

I'd do the same. Contact the handyman saying you dont mind it was borrowed and need to use it next week to do tuneup. Let him bring it back with no repercussions. The carport guy - I'd say its up to you how to handle it according to your gut or your personality. Personally- I'd be giving him a heads up by calling him and say you need it back and will be reporting it stolen with pics you have - Even if you dont have him actually taking it, let the police decide how to handle it explaining what you want.