Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Katrinaville LA west of Westwego east of Ama south of River Ridge north of Boutte, above sea level
    Tractor
    Yanmar 1802, Kubota L4400

Default Caught thief on game cam-What now?

I had my weedeater stolen out of my garage so I checked my gamecam that I have set up in there. Unfortunately, I had it set to wait 1 minute before taking a second photo instead of taking photos every 5 seconds.

The photos showed 2 people entering my garage during the time period that the weedeater went missing. One was a handyman who lives in the neighborhood who I frequently have doing jobs for me and he had done a job for me during this time period and I know he would go in the garage to get a bottle of water now and then because I said he could. The other person on film was a man who was installing a carport top in front of my garage. The garage door was open while he was working but I don't know why he went in the garage.

Since the gamecam was set for 1 minute between shots it only showed them entering the garage and not leaving so I have no photo of someone walking out with my weedeater though I know it was one of them.

Now my gamecam is set for every 5 seconds.

What would you do?
    Happy Trails!
    Dudley

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Default Re: Caught thief on game cam-What now?

Use police tactics. They don't know you don't have a pic of them leaving, so wave the camera around a bit with pic you do have and tell them to return the weedeater.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC 30

You title is misleading you "caught" nothing. You have no proof eighter one of them stole something from you. It would be unwise of you to accuse them, as you only have proven opportunity.

Tractor
    Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe

Somehow you have to bluff them, without being offensive. Can you "drop in" at their place or look at their place to see if they are using it?
    God Bless our brave men, bring them home, safe again.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100 HST 4WD

I agree with Dave 1949, you have no proof only suspicion. They may have or may not have taken your property, however, the chances of them colluding to steal a string trimmer seem sort of unrealistic. Why would the 2 of them risk their reputations and livelihood for a string trimmer and nothing else? Chalk this up to experience and get over it. Confrontation will only create animus and will accomplish nothing even if they did take it. Why would they admit if they did take it, it was a crime of opportunity if they did.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M5700, BX2350

Since a crime has been committed, I would report it to the police. You have some inconclusive evidence, so I would also provide that to the police. After that, I think it's legally out of your hands. Maybe there has been a string of thefts in the area. This information might help in a bigger picture. It could certainly be a waste of time, but I guess I'm a "by the book" sort of guy.

If the carport guy is a company employee, I think his employer deserves to know. Emphasize that you don't know that he took it, but let them know what happened. Maybe this isn't the first time stuff has disappeared on his jobs?

In our small office, we have soft drinks in the refrigerator for 50 cents on the honor system. We had the pop fund money in the kitchen for ten years and never had a problem. A couple of days after the new cleaning lady starts, it disappears. There's no evidence to legally charge her, but it's not good for her employment.

With the evidence you have it's best to not say anything to anybody. If you do it leaves you open for a civil suit!

Chances are what you have stated so far implicating either of two people would also be a no no.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    With the evidence you have it's best to not say anything to anybody. If you do it leaves you open for a civil suit!
    Not if he reports it to the police, and gives the police the evidence that he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Chances are what you have stated so far implicating either of two people would also be a no no.
    You don't want to implicate them, you want to report it to the police, and give them all of the evidence that he has. Explain the situation, and that the one individual had permission to be in the garage while the other did not. Let the cops take it from there.

Tractor
    2012 JD 3520 Cab 1996 JD LX172 1985 Wheel Horse

Quote Originally Posted by rrrkkk View Post
    You title is misleading you "caught" nothing. You have no proof eighter one of them stole something from you. It would be unwise of you to accuse them, as you only have proven opportunity.
    Any prosecutor would agree

Tractor
    ShovelandBarrow

I would:

a) Report to police

b) Let both guys know...and just ask if they saw anything suspicious, and also just mention your camera.
    ____
    Jay

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast