Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available?

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #121  
$47 a loaf sounds a little steep,

If you think fluroridation doesn't prevent tooth decay, you should ask a dentist about it.

That price was for 2.5 loaves. I did not say fluoridation is not a decay preventative. It occurs naturally however in just about every well water. What I am saying is that the tooth decay thing came along for the ride and was used for justification to dump a by-product chemical in our water supplies. The real reason is that they had a slew of it and found an excellent way to not only get rid of a by product, but make money on the deal as well. Look at our diet in the 40's 50's and 60's. We were eating Drakes Cakes and Hostess cup cakes as part of the basic food triangle. We were drinking orange and grape soda as if they were part of a nutritious food group. Cigarettes were just the thing to have to make your day complete. This is corporate America with government ties we are talking about.If you think anybody there really cared for our teeth, there is a bridge I want to sell you.

Last edited:
   / Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #122  
That price was for 2.5 loaves. I did not say fluoridation is not a decay preventative. It occurs naturally however in just about every well water. What I am saying is that the tooth decay thing came along for the ride and was used for justification to dump a by-product chemical in our water supplies. The real reason is that they had a slew of it and found an excellent way to not only get rid of a by product, but make money on the deal as well. Look at our diet in the 40's 50's and 60's. We were eating Drakes Cakes and Hostess cup cakes as part of the basic food triangle. We were drinking orange and grape soda as if they were part of a nutritious food group. Cigarettes were just the thing to have to make your day complete. This is corporate America with government ties we are talking about.If you think anybody there really cared for our teeth, there is a bridge I want to sell you.

So your contention is that it would have been more ecologically sound to landfill this yet unnamed, undocumented flouride compound in concentrated areas rather than disperse it throughout the environment in a manner that provided documented health benefits? Maybe you could expand on that a little.

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #123  
Interesting frozen food processing venture for growers in Maine to market locally grown produce in stores year round.

Economically viable on so many levels too...farmer, retailer, consumer, transportation, and food handler jobs.

The "buy local segment" just keeps on "growing" :D

New in the frozen food section | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Mark Lapping, a distinguished university professor at the Muskie School of Public Service who is an expert in food-systems planning and policy, said this kind of arrangement where food processors share facilities has been happening a lot in Vermont. He says the idea of it happening here in Maine is "exciting."

John Shattuck, development director for the town of Topsham, who said he is "wicked excited" about MHC's potential to be a "significant economic development driver" in the community. Consumers are generally much more interested in food now than they used to be, and scary news stories about recalls have made them think more about where the products they put in their grocery baskets originated.

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #124  
So your contention is that it would have been more ecologically sound to landfill this yet unnamed, undocumented flouride compound in concentrated areas rather than disperse it throughout the environment in a manner that provided documented health benefits? Maybe you could expand on that a little.

Ok I will. Fluoride is measured to be more toxic than lead and a bit less toxic than arsenic. We ban lead yet flouride abounds. Continental Europe has banned fluoride and so your contention is what? that it is perfectly ok for the government to mass medicate the populace with something more toxic than lead? Secondly, if indeed there is a benefit to fluoride in prevention of dental caries, I'd prefer it was up to me to choose to partake just like it is up to me to get a flu shot. How would you like it if you were forced or had no choice in getting this flu compound administered to your body? And now one last way. Just because a chemical compound is shown to be beneficial in small amounts for one malady that effects our population, it does not mean in the slightest that it does not effect us negatively in other ways. Have a nuclear stress test. You have a bit of radioactive material injected into your body. Certainly you would not want this radioactive compound spread all over the place. Do not forget: The tobacco industry fought tooth and nail that cigarettes did not cause lung cancer just like depending on the study you read, cell phones are perfectly fine for your brain. And finally, if you happen to swallow any toothpaste with fluoride more than used for brushing, why are you then instructed on the tube to contact your local poison control? You want fluoride? then go right ahead and buy it. Because you want it and think it perfectly safe, why should I have it if I think otherwise and yet that is the case.
My last question is: If you think anybody attached to big government really cared for your well being, why did they allow all the other stuff that causes tooth decay? What is the statistic? we each consume 32 lbs of sugar each year? I'll answer my own question: it has to do with "economics". Just like why fluoride is put into our water.

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #125  
Interesting frozen food processing venture for growers in Maine to market locally grown produce in stores year round.

Economically viable on so many levels too...farmer, retailer, consumer, transportation, and food handler jobs.

The "buy local segment" just keeps on "growing" :D

New in the frozen food section | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Mark Lapping, a distinguished university professor at the Muskie School of Public Service who is an expert in food-systems planning and policy, said this kind of arrangement where food processors share facilities has been happening a lot in Vermont. He says the idea of it happening here in Maine is "exciting."

John Shattuck, development director for the town of Topsham, who said he is "wicked excited" about MHC's potential to be a "significant economic development driver" in the community. Consumers are generally much more interested in food now than they used to be, and scary news stories about recalls have made them think more about where the products they put in their grocery baskets originated.

Yep, that's is good news.

I read the info on Maine's SARE program grants. SARE projects in Maine / Maine / State Programs / Northeast SARE - SARE It's interesting to see what grants have been made in the past.

Just read about a farmer in Maine who has received funding to scale up his production of "hay logs." He takes poor hay and makes stove fuel logs out of it. Besides eating , we have to stay warm. :laughing:

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #126  
Does your (progressive) grocer need to take sides in high fructose corn syrup? There must be money in it.

Negative Hype Around HFCS Not Backed by Science: Report - Health, Beauty & Wellness - Supermarket Chain |Grocery Chain | Grocery Store Chain | Supermarket News
The idea that high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is responsible for the American obesity epidemic isn't backed by scientific evidence, concludes a new report published by the American Council on Science and Health.

Who or what is the American Council on Science and Health?
"ACSH is a national, non-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) consumer health education and advocacy organization based in New York City."
Just another Super Pac where corporate wealth can shape public opinion, or outright lie for profit. And surprise! The Koch Bros. are right in there.

American Council on Science and Health - SourceWatch
To its credit, it has taken a strong public position against the dangers of tobacco, one of the leading preventable causes of death in today's society. However, it takes a generally apologetic stance regarding virtually every other health and environmental hazard produced by modern industry, accepting corporate funding from Coca-Cola, Kellogg, General Mills, Pepsico, and the American Beverage Association, among others.

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #127  
We have been eating it for several years. The RR Sweet corn we plant is called Incredible. We also plant some G-90, but the Incredible is sweeter. As far as roundup goes, it is just as safe as any imported food. Most countries still allow the use of Paraquat. Look it up! If you buy groceries you are eating food that contains a lot worse than round up.:licking:

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #128  
More and more new research seems to contradict the inertness and reinforces health concerns surrounding increasing glysophate useage in RR crops.

The latest study has just been released
Published April 18 2013 it is outlined in this 3 part article Glyphosate: Chronic Disease Degeneration

In the study conducted by Anthony Samsel and Stephanie Seneff
Independent Scientist and Consultant, Deerfield, NH
Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, MIT, Cambridge, MA

Samsel & Seneff state...

"An insidious issue with glyphosate is that its toxic effects on mammals take considerable time to be overtly manifested."

Full pdf of the published text can be found here

Glyphosate Suppression of Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Amino Acid Biosynthesis by the Gut Microbiome: Pathways to Modern Diseases.
Entropy 2013

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #129  
how safe is it to spray the weeds around the edges of a garden, in our case those under the deer fence, which does not like our powerful string trimmer at all. I can mix up a batch of organic stuff, but the application of this weedkiller is at least six to ten feet from any plant.

Any suggestions on what to spray that would be least toxic to the surrounding area?
Is this a reasonable use of Roundup or will it, sooner or later, leach into the soils?
Allegedly it doesn't, but after reading this thread, I'm not sure of anything other than it
pays to be careful.

thanks. Drew
thanks

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #130  
how safe is it to spray the weeds around the edges of a garden, in our case those under the deer fence, which does not like our powerful string trimmer at all. I can mix up a batch of organic stuff, but the application of this weedkiller is at least six to ten feet from any plant.

Any suggestions on what to spray that would be least toxic to the surrounding area?
Is this a reasonable use of Roundup or will it, sooner or later, leach into the soils?
Allegedly it doesn't, but after reading this thread, I'm not sure of anything other than it
pays to be careful.

thanks. Drew
thanks

Drew there are several options. If you want to go organic you can try using vinegar which the active ingredient is 5% acetic acid which has shown some varied effectiveness as long as the plants are under 3" typically. This also just burns down the plant and not the roots so re-application will be likely. You can burn the weeds with a propane torch and have similar type results where re-application will likely eventually be needed plus the fire hazard if conditions are dry. You can use roundup (41% glyphosate) and spray the area and you maybe might need to do one reapplication but not likely. 6-10 feet from any plant I can assure you that none of your garden plants will uptake any glyphosate and it bonds tightly to the soil so leeching and runoff are not an issue as with some other herbicides.