Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available?

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #41  
Reading thru this, reminds of something I have posted on TBN discussions in the past. My wife has a background in biology and landscape, is in to edible landscaping, organic food stuff etc. I am not sure where she came across these, but I am more and more tending to agree:

- If a commercial foodstuff has more than 5 ingredients, it is probably bad for you

- If the label has ingredients that require a degree in biology or chemistry to pronounce properly, it is probably bad for you

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #42  
Monsanto Niblets- eat you from the inside out!

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #43  
hmmm...new weightwatcher's ad? :D

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #44  
Good thing the "experts" here have no idea how many insecticides, herbicides & fungicides are applied as a matter of course to commercially grown conventional sweet corn.

I hope you weren't referring to me a being an "expert":rolleyes:. I am fully aware of a lot of the chemicals used in current commercial farming practices and in most instances roundup is a far safer herbicide environmentally than most out there. First off it becomes inert when it contacts the soil and has zero residual activity. The stuff people buy at HD to kill the dandelions (2,4,-D) has a much higher environmental impact as is actually a modified blend of good old agent orange. Pre-emergents such as Atrazine which were used extremely heavily and still are quite common in farm practice are another but roundup has helped alleviate a dependence on it. Second, It has allowed farmers to incorporate no till practices into farming allowing the chemicals/fertilizers to stay where they are applied hence greatly reducing topsoil erosion and runoff into lakes and streams. The southern states didn't always have that trademark red clay soil. It was caused by poor farming practices for centuries deteriorating the top soil.

GMO seeds are really nothing new. Certain "Heirloom" plants are almost all but extinct. Apples today are a completely different species than what the pilgrims found, Modified traits are sweeter tasting and a lot of the trees are resistant to blight. The bananas our grandparents ate is an extinct species from a virus but the species we eat today has a longer shelf life and immune to the virus yet has no seeds and can only procreate by humans transplanting rootstock. A lot of corn these days has safener coatings on these to prevent fungicide and certain pests, insecticide applications are virtually a thing of the past. Ever wonder why those corn seeds you buy in those little packets are pink and not yellow? It is because it has a fungicide safener to promote better germination. So generally speaking unless you go to great extents to research what you are eating sometime somewhere you probably consumed GMO crops without even realizing it.

I am not trying to come off as saying chemicals are great and we can now better engineer them now than when God created them but certain crops to grow without herbicides/fertilizers is very labor intensive and rapidly depreciates the topsoil. Can organic farming with proper crop rotations be sustainable? Absolutely but if every farmer did it with proper crop rotation you'd have to see 2/3 of the fields in production pulled out and put in cover crops likes clovers/alfalfa to get the built back up and get the N back in the soil. You would see prices of poultry and meat go up probably comparable to prices of pure organic. Organic farmers aren't gouging they are just trying to cover their costs of a more expensive way to farm often with smaller yields.

I believe labeling should be available on products that may contain GMO seeds or chemicals but I agree with you on this Rick. Problem is virtually everything has something of it already in it. I kind of see Roundup as a lesser of two evils. No chemical is always the best way but compared to other chemicals heavily used prior to the advent of glyphosate, roundup definitely leaves a smaller ecological footprint.

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #45  
I hope you weren't referring to me a being an "expert":rolleyes:. I am fully aware of a lot of the chemicals used in current commercial farming practices and in most instances roundup is a far safer herbicide environmentally than most out there. First off it becomes inert when it contacts the soil and has zero residual activity. The stuff people buy at HD to kill the dandelions (2,4,-D) has a much higher environmental impact as is actually a modified blend of good old agent orange. Pre-emergents such as Atrazine which were used extremely heavily and still are quite common in farm practice are another but roundup has helped alleviate a dependence on it. Second, It has allowed farmers to incorporate no till practices into farming allowing the chemicals/fertilizers to stay where they are applied hence greatly reducing topsoil erosion and runoff into lakes and streams. The southern states didn't always have that trademark red clay soil. It was caused by poor farming practices for centuries deteriorating the top soil.

GMO seeds are really nothing new. Certain "Heirloom" plants are almost all but extinct. Apples today are a completely different species than what the pilgrims found, Modified traits are sweeter tasting and a lot of the trees are resistant to blight. The bananas our grandparents ate is an extinct species from a virus but the species we eat today has a longer shelf life and immune to the virus yet has no seeds and can only procreate by humans transplanting rootstock. A lot of corn these days has safener coatings on these to prevent fungicide and certain pests, insecticide applications are virtually a thing of the past. Ever wonder why those corn seeds you buy in those little packets are pink and not yellow? It is because it has a fungicide safener to promote better germination. So generally speaking unless you go to great extents to research what you are eating sometime somewhere you probably consumed GMO crops without even realizing it.

I am not trying to come off as saying chemicals are great and we can now better engineer them now than when God created them but certain crops to grow without herbicides/fertilizers is very labor intensive and rapidly depreciates the topsoil. Can organic farming with proper crop rotations be sustainable? Absolutely but if every farmer did it with proper crop rotation you'd have to see 2/3 of the fields in production pulled out and put in cover crops likes clovers/alfalfa to get the built back up and get the N back in the soil. You would see prices of poultry and meat go up probably comparable to prices of pure organic. Organic farmers aren't gouging they are just trying to cover their costs of a more expensive way to farm often with smaller yields.

I believe labeling should be available on products that may contain GMO seeds or chemicals but I agree with you on this Rick. Problem is virtually everything has something of it already in it. I kind of see Roundup as a lesser of two evils. No chemical is always the best way but compared to other chemicals heavily used prior to the advent of glyphosate, roundup definitely leaves a smaller ecological footprint.

I was referring to those who decry the use of GMO plantstuffs and more recent, more fully tested pesticides without having any understanding of many of the common pesticides used on non-GMO crops in typical "conventional" commodity and vegetable production.
I did not target anyone in particular, it was more of an 'if the shoe fits, wear it' type of comment for which I do not apololgize.

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #46  
glyphosate actually lasts a reasonable length of time after it comes into contact with the soil. It's half life is greeter than a month. It does not leach out very much from the soil though. There are some places that have been sampled greater than a year after glyphosate was applied and it could still be measured in the soil. Roundup has been shown to kill amphibians, increase the risk of spontaneous abortions, and there are some cancer concerns. It is more benign than many things used in the past but it is not without risk. Like most herbicides, pesticides, etc., care in it s use is warranted.

Ken

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #47  
It would seem that the case for chemicals vs health comes down to; Less bad = good
The decision to use herbicides and pesticides is more steeped in economics than health. I don't condem farmers for that, but at the same time, it is what it is.

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #48  
It would seem that the case for chemicals vs health comes down to; Less bad = good
The decision to use herbicides and pesticides is more steeped in economics than health. I don't condem farmers for that, but at the same time, it is what it is.

Well someone needs condemning. What we as consumers have to put up with is always minimized when our foods are called "safe". To this day, anyone contracting cancer from known carcinogens will have a losing battle on their hands if they attempt to pin point a causative source. Isn't it cozy now that some of our legislators and FDA officials are in the back pocket of mega chemical and agriculturals to always diminish the concerns and fears and pass bills like the Monsanto Act to protect economics. I agree 100% that economics will always come before the health of this nations consumers. It is getting to the point where if you do not produce your own food, they'll be nothing you can put in your mouth without a question of safety.

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #49  
I've been looking but so far can't find seed for my garden so if anyone happens to know, please post it.

I doubt you'll find it on the rack at Walmart any time soon...but heck ya never know ;)

3 of my current catalogs Seedway, Holmes and Rupps all have the Performance Series sweet corn for sale. Thats a GM combined RoundupReady/BT insecticide producing type. There's also an Attribute series with just the BT toxin too. Prices are around $9.00 to $14.00 per 1000... ALL with 25M min quantity purchase. No subdividing quantities. Before you can buy Performance Series seeds you have to get a Monsanto License number. For the BT forming Attribute you just have to sign a stewardship agreement and read the TUG

Interestingly growers and researchers are continually finding out that roundup resistant weeds are becoming more and more frequent and Glysophate alone doesnt always do it so new herbicide combinations like Halex for sweet corn contain three active ingredients in one premix: Mesotrione the active ingredient in Callisto, Glyphosate the active ingredient in Touchdown and S-metolachlor the active ingredient in Dual Magnum
Talk about a cocktail! :shocked:

Monsanto is responding to the glyphosate-resistance problem by developing and seeking approval of a new generation of genetically engineered crops in which glyphosate-resistant cultivars are being engineered to have additional resistance traits to include 2,4-D and dicamba.

/ Did you know Roundup Ready sweet corn is now available? #50  
I doubt you'll find it on the rack at Walmart any time soon...but heck ya never know ;)

3 of my current catalogs Seedway, Holmes and Rupps all have the Performance Series sweet corn for sale. Thats a GM combined RoundupReady/BT insecticide producing type. There's also an Attribute series with just the BT toxin too. Prices are around $9.00 to $14.00 per 1000... ALL with 25M min quantity purchase. No subdividing quantities. Before you can buy Performance Series seeds you have to get a Monsanto License number. For the BT forming Attribute you just have to sign a stewardship agreement and read the TUG

Interestingly growers and researchers are continually finding out that roundup resistant weeds are becoming more and more frequent and Glysophate alone doesnt always do it so new herbicide combinations like Halex for sweet corn contain three active ingredients in one premix: Mesotrione the active ingredient in Callisto, Glyphosate the active ingredient in Touchdown and S-metolachlor the active ingredient in Dual Magnum
Talk about a cocktail! :shocked:

Monsanto is responding to the glyphosate-resistance problem by developing and seeking approval of a new generation of genetically engineered crops in which glyphosate-resistant cultivars are being engineered to have additional resistance traits to include 2,4-D and dicamba.

Sounds yummy. :eek:

I guess my problem with all of this bioengineering is where does it all end? Is it sustainable? Why are we trying to feed more people than the earth can realistically support?

For Monsanto and others it is clearly a marketing game, and they don't have answers to the above questions.

I am all for feeding the hungry of course, but in the big picture I think we are ignoring what really matters while treating symptoms of the larger problems.