Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #41  
David, from the sound of this, things may be getting brighter?

"NEXT TIME we move to the country it will have to be different... more finished, nicer, and layers of security (fence around "home" for eample)."

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods
David, from the sound of this, things may be getting brighter?

"NEXT TIME we move to the country it will have to be different... more finished, nicer, and layers of security (fence around "home" for eample)."

Wishful Thinking? False Optimism? Hope Springs eternal?

"We" is to be defined later?

Just saying I will never move a woman out to the country in a les than perfect house, with a yard they can "own" and have their way with...

Things are not getting better... I'm just trying to snivel and cry less...

But thank you for having the nice thoughts on my behalf.

Be well,
David

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #43  
In reality I know there is nothing I could have done even if we were not separated, because I was at work at the time, but...

Yesterday afternoon two stray dogs, and brown and black pit bull, and a black lab, came onto my property and attacked my daughters pet 1-winged female duck in her pen, and the male duck they have been nursing back to full health all winter (he got sick in the fall and then he got frostbitten, lost half a foot and his caruncle off his bill, the other ducks/chickens in the pen pick on him if they put him in now).

Some of you may know these two ducks live inside the house at night, and out in the yard in small pens during the day. They are completely pets. First pic is the male "Cyclone", second is the female "Syrrus" sitting on my buddies lap.

So the girls hear barking and come out, scaring the dogs into the woods, but it is too late.

Their princess duck, who's left wing was ripped/chewed off by a racoon last spring, was unhurt yesterday, the pen collapsed around her but the dogs did not get in. the male duck busted out of his pen and they chased him and chewed him up big time. he has at least one hole the size of a silver dollar on the top side of his tail, and he was bleeding terrible bad in the girls laps after the attack. They put him inside in his pen, and from descriptions he was in shock. I fully expect he will not be alive this morning when they get up.

This property has had so many harsh lessons for my wife and girls, it really is no wonder my marriage is on life support and my kids are very unhappy...

My daughters, and my wife are traumatized by this viscious attack.

I called the neighbor to the north, and he had seen same dogs earlier that morning and ran them off his place. He is the one who told me they were a pit bull and black lab. I've called the animal control folks, and the deputy will be out today I assume to take a statement.

Even if I had still been in residence, and armed, I was at work.
Candidly, by the time they heard the barking, it was all over but the bleeding and crying.

I need to learn from this. When I can reconcile my marriage, if I EVER expect to live out in the country with my family again, there are certain things I MUST do differently to prevent such traumatizing events (in as much as they can be prevented in our fallen world).

So... Teach me brothers & sisters.

What do I do differently next time?

Be well & God Bless,
David

I haven't read the rest of the thread. But the very same attacks happen in suburbs and cities. You can take precautions, but full prevention is uncertain.

Years ago, we had a small poodle attacked by a large dog at our home when a friend was house sitting for us. After months of recovery and healing, another dog attacked our poodle right outside the vet and was worse off than the first time.

I pray your marriage and family experience the healing you all need. God be with you.

...I pray your marriage and family experience the healing you all need. God be with you.

Thank you sir. God be with you as well...

David

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #45  
Just saying I will never move a woman out to the country in a les than perfect house, with a yard they can "own" and have their way with..
IMO, that depends on the woman... My wife expects a certain degree of perfection, but not complete perfection in the house. As long as it is progressing (washer/dryer moved upstairs from basment, unfinished walls painted, pantry closet finished, etc) she is satasifed. Would she like for it to be picture perfect? Yes, but she also understands the limits when we have the farm, school and my fulltime job to deal with.

Aaron Z

...Yes, but she also understands the limits when we have the farm, school and my fulltime job to deal with.

Aaron Z

Aaron,

Do you Homeschool also?

We do...
David

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #47  
Aaron,
Do you Homeschool also?
We do...
David
I was homeschooled and grew up out in the country, we do not yet homeschool, but are seriously considering it as our 3yo will be bored out of her gourd in school...

Aaron Z

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #48  
David, I have followed your journey off and on here for a while now. I see you seem to be leaning in the direction of blaming yourself. I am never clear if you dragged them into a life they did not want or if the move was not what they expected when they got here. My question when I read your threads, is always - were they happy before the move or are they always looking for something different than what they have? Personally I dislike the plastic/video game/smart phone suburban way of life but it certainly has a strong grasp on most of society. No idea what they are like but a lot of folks don't like a country/rural lifestyle. Often later in life people appreciate what they had when it is no longer available and it's too late.
As I pass through life, situations that seem horrible and insurmountable often are less significant once they are past. You never know what the future will bring. Sometimes I like to think that some unpleasant situations I go through are really detours around even worse situations that I am unaware of because they don't happen.
Life is never perfect. Anyone expecting it to be is setting themselves up for dissappointment. I have to think part of being happy is appreciating what you do have.
Best of luck. I truly hope in a couple of years you are all looking back at this period of time and thinking "boy it sure was tough at first but now we are so glad we stuck with it."

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #49  
I have a rule about stray dogs, when they come on the property, they become part of the property. To many times I have had neighbours that could not keep their dogs at home and I would catch them and call only to regret it later.
Just a thought!

/ Stray Dogs attack & kill pet duck in broad daylight at Mossflower Woods #50  
David, I have followed your journey off and on here for a while now. I see you seem to be leaning in the direction of blaming yourself. I am never clear if you dragged them into a life they did not want or if the move was not what they expected when they got here. My question when I read your threads, is always - were they happy before the move or are they always looking for something different than what they have? Personally I dislike the plastic/video game/smart phone suburban way of life but it certainly has a strong grasp on most of society. No idea what they are like but a lot of folks don't like a country/rural lifestyle. Often later in life people appreciate what they had when it is no longer available and it's too late.
As I pass through life, situations that seem horrible and insurmountable often are less significant once they are past. You never know what the future will bring. Sometimes I like to think that some unpleasant situations I go through are really detours around even worse situations that I am unaware of because they don't happen.
Life is never perfect. Anyone expecting it to be is setting themselves up for dissappointment. I have to think part of being happy is appreciating what you do have.
Best of luck. I truly hope in a couple of years you are all looking back at this period of time and thinking "boy it sure was tough at first but now we are so glad we stuck with it."

Some very good points to ponder.