Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    JD 4700

Default Re: Need some smart phone smarts

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    ... Even though we use Wi-Fi 100% of the time at home, we still go through about 3-4 GB of cellular data a month. (We also use Netflix and the Internet for 100% of our TV watching--no cable or other TV at all in the house, and we typically use about 250 GB of data a month on our wired Internet connection.) I think we are probably in the minority, though. Take a look at what your carrier does if you exceed your allotment. Some carriers will ding you with ridiculous overage charges, but other carriers will simply sell you another "block" of data at a reasonable price.
    We cut the Directv cord last year and we should have done it YEARS ago. I don't know how much bandwidth we use a month, I think I would have to put a new firmware on our router to know, but I would guess it is at least 100GB a month. While I think we are in a minority, we are a growing minority as people get tired of paying quite a bit of money to find nothing but trash on hundreds of channels.

Later,
    Dan

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by dmccarty View Post
    I don't know how much bandwidth we use a month, I think I would have to put a new firmware on our router to know, but I would guess it is at least 100GB a month.
    My ISP is Comcast. Since they have bandwidth caps (after like 250 or 300 GB, they throttle your connection), so they have an online tool that shows you how much bandwidth you've used.

Tractor
    2012 Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    As far as I know, Verizon (and other CDMA carriers like Sprint) only allows voice+data at the same time over 4G. When on 3G or lower, you can't do voice and data at the same time. GSM/HSPA carriers like T-Mobile and AT&T can do voice+data at the same time regardless.
    Correct. I don't know what that other guy is smoking. T-Mobile/AT&T are not CDMA. You can do simultaneous voice/data with LTE equipped phones unless you are using an iPhone on Verizon or Spring LTE.
    Phil

Bobcat CT225 with FEL and Bobtach.
    Landpride box blade, post hole digger and pallet forks.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota l3130

My cell provider is US Cellular, which provides excellent coverage in the rural areas of Southern Oregon. It's the only sensible choice in my area, though Verizon is trying. AT&T service is dismal. Outside US Cellular areas, I get free Verizon roaming.

Apps are trivial. I only use a few, mostly Audible for audio books. I plug into audio books for long drives. It helps pass the time, and the earbuds that came with the phone work fine. I also use the Kindle app. AFAIK, these apps are available for all kinds of cell phones. Get a big screen if you use the Kindle app. It's as good as a stand-alone kindle. All phones come with music apps that make them an MP3 player.

Texting is handy, because someone can pick up a message without having to answer the phone. Both my wife and I find that convenient.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123