Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere LX172

Default Driving on the Left Side

Anyone experience driving on the left hand side for the first time after 60 years of driving in the U.S.? Sharn Jean and I just got back from a week's vacation in St. Thomas, USVI. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been. We went there on a cruise ship last year; this year we rented an small private home on the island, overlooking Megan's Bay. Unthinkingly, I agreed to rent a car an be the designated driver, knowing that although the Virgin Islands are U.S. possessions, they drive on the left hand side there. I'll have to say, that it was an unnerving experience.

I didn't stop to think about the fact that we're talking mountain roads here, that are 99% two lane roads that would pass for a one lane road here at home. Add a little rain, and hills so steep that you often can't see the bottom when you start down, and curves so sharp that you can't see around them, I'll have to say that it took my nerves a couple days to settle back down. It's a good thing that rum is so cheap there.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B1750

Default Re: Driving on the Left Side

We do it all the time here!

The car does have right hand drive, however.

For a real fun driving experience, try taking a RHD car to mainland Europe (or the US).

J

Elite Member
    Tractor
    1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.

Yep... St Thomas, Japan and Australia. Real kicker is when crossing the street! Have to look in the "wrong" direction first before crossing.

mark
    red tractor
    blue tractor
    green tractor
    orange tractor
    too many impliments to list

Tractor
    JD 2320

St. Lucia and UK. It messes with your mind. Left turns. Wowza.

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

Quote Originally Posted by niemeyjt View Post
    We do it all the time here!

The car does have right hand drive, however.

For a real fun driving experience, try taking a RHD car to mainland Europe (or the US).

J
    The rental car was the U.S. version, i.e. steering wheel on the left. I never knew where the traffic was coming from when making a turn. Oh, St. Lucia is a beautiful island...we were there last year.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Red Clay Country, GA & Mississippi Prarie
    Tractor
    JD 2210

Been doing it for over thirty years in Japan. Got to where I like it better than USA way. Coming back and forth though, have to be careful turning!
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
    "I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim
    "I wouldn't want to be within 400 or 500 yards of one of them newfangled nuclear bombs when it went off!" WW1 Vet...

SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer

I own one right hand drive car and it is a stick without synchro and trafficators for turn signals.

I never feel right driving it so it mostly sits in storage...

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    The rental car was the U.S. version, i.e. steering wheel on the left. I never knew where the traffic was coming from when making a turn. Oh, St. Lucia is a beautiful island...we were there last year.
    It is freaky. We took a trip to the UK when living in Germany, they drive on the same side as here. I would ask my wife, sitting in the passenger seat if it was clear to turn, pass, etc. I found that in traffic you are getting constant clues about your position, but up in Scotland we stopped at a roadside rest. There weren't many cars on the road, rural area. When we continued on I pulled onto the right side of the road by habit. In the distance I could see a car coming and wondered what they were doing in our lane.

Like Mark said, that looking left when crossing the street on foot is deadly.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

Hah. Went over to my daughter's this afternoon; found myself driving on the left hand side...Man I better snap out of it!
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M5640SUD

I drove around Ireland for about 10 days some time back. That left front fender always seemed a bit further away than it should. As I recall, it was a bit dodgy as a pedestrian too, especially in a busy roundabout.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast