Gun Control: This speaks for itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Gun Control: This speaks for itself #112  
YES. And part of the responsibility of the government is to keep firearms out of the hands of those individuals who are incapable of using the tool responsibly, so the rest of us can continue to enjoy the freedom.

I don't even think that should be the government's responsibility. I think individuals should be responsible. That is what was lacking and led to the original post on this thread. We already have TOO MUCH government! But that is another thread entirely.

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #113  
My "facts" are from the FBI. Your "facts" are from the NRA. The FBI actually collects data. The NRA just puts out defensive statements and doesn't bother to collect or analyze any data. Indeed, the NRA works overtime to make it difficult for epidemiologists to even begin to study these problems. The issue is not my facts vs your facts. You don't have any facts to lean on.

Oh come on, we have debated this all before and I have posted studies by many others refuting your claims, I just no longer have the interest in beating a dead horse so to speak. I reject your "facts and conclusions"; simple as that and have no interest in elaborating, go back and read the old threads.

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #114  
I don't even think that should be the government's responsibility. I think individuals should be responsible. That is what was lacking and led to the original post on this thread. We already have TOO MUCH government! But that is another thread entirely.

So you believe that Adam Lanza, and others like him, should have been/be allowed to purchase firearms, and that the public safety role of the government does not extend that far?

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #115  
So you believe that Adam Lanza, and others like him, should have been/be allowed to purchase firearms, and that the public safety role of the government does not extend that far?

You do get around...just how much of your freedom are you willing to give up to try and assure your saftey ? Do you realize you would have to grant the govt. access to your medical records to assure them , in their opinion, you were fit to own a firearm...? Do you think they might peek at other things in there ...your med records...? Nahh, you can trust the govt. ...right ?

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #116  
With your thinking and because we cannot get all parents to buckle up all their kids in cars, we should be able to stop stupid people from driving....

Newark et al are red herrings?? Yet all their stats are included in the statistics on how many die in the US from firearms. Can't have it both ways.

We can pull people over and ticket them when they drive kids without car seats and seat belts. That works to increase compliance.

Your Newark point is nonsense. You do not need to lump drug violence with domestic firearm deaths when trying to develop strategies to lower deaths due to firearms. Just like you don't lump cancer with heart disease when developing public health strategy. The Newark Chicago and Detroit issue has very little to do with the domestic firearm issue. One involves intentional gang violence and the other is related to the unintended consequence of having a legal and presumably protective firearm in the house. Apples and oranges.

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #117  
Excuse me, there are considerable controls on alcohol and if it were not for the alcohol lobby there would likely be more. Try driving drunk in Sweden and see what happens to you. Here you get a slap on the wrist. There are requirements that purveyors of alcoholic beverages not sell more to a drunk. See how long you keep your liquor license or business insurance if you break those rules. Oh, and before you bring up how cars kill people; yes, they do, and we therefore try to limit speed and legislate seatbelts, air bags and a number of other things to bring the death rate down. Successfully I might add. So where would we be without government regulations? A lot more of us would be dead for starters. When did the car companies ever add a safety device that wasn't mandated by a government regulation???

Apparently there are not enough controls on alcohol since it kills more kids each year than guns.

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #118  
Look up the FBI data on murder rates and gun ownership by state. Clear as day. Sure there are some states like ND where guns are high and murder is relatively low but the highest murder and death by firearm rates are virtually all in Southern states with high gun ownership rates. It is hardly shocking that the last couple of reported accidental deaths caused by young boys were in the south.

Chicago is a red herring as are Newark and Detroit etc. Those are drug dealers and punks willingly engaged in turf battles and retribution from which innocent bystanders occasionally become sad victims. Those innocents were not threatened with guns and if they had guns would not have been able to protect themselves from stray shots.

Your "red herrings" drive the debate. For you to call them that tells me that you realize anything proposed to date will do nothing (i.e. back to what the NRA has been saying so you have come full circle).

I wish I could tell you what I think is needed to prevent such sad stories but I can't.

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #119  
You do get around...just how much of your freedom are you willing to give up to try and assure your saftey ? Do you realize you would have to grant the govt. access to your medical records to assure them , in their opinion, you were fit to own a firearm...? Do you think they might peek at other things in there ...your med records...? Nahh, you can trust the govt. ...right ?

Except for anarchists, it is generally accepted that one role of the government is to take reasonable measures to protect the public safety. The key word there is "reasonable." That is why we have the traffic regulations, FAA, FDA, Dept of Agriculture, Police, Firemen, and so on ad infinitum. Would you leave it up to the personal responsibility of the mechanics to not use counterfeit parts when repairing a commercial airliner?

So why do some people vehemently oppose any attempts to protect the public from firearms in the hands of those who are unwilling or incapable to use them responsibly? Makes one wonder if they are gun runners and don't want the risk of exposure, or they fear they will be deemed mentally unfit to carry a firearm, or they have a psychotic dependence on having their gun ready for the boogey man.

As for regulating motor vehicles versus firearms, yes they both kill and maim. But motor vehicles are many times more an integral part of our economy and society than firearms. It wouldn't have near the adverse impact to outlaw private ownership of firearms than it would to outlaw the private ownership of motor vehicles. So if we accept traffic regulations for public safety reasons, firearm regulations for public safety reasons are also a desirable goverment function. Just my humble opinion for those of you who were unable to see that before.

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #120  
Except for anarchists, it is generally accepted that one role of the government is to take reasonable measures to protect the public safety. The key word there is "reasonable." That is why we have the traffic regulations, FAA, FDA, Dept of Agriculture, Police, Firemen, and so on ad infinitum. Would you leave it up to the personal responsibility of the mechanics to not use counterfeit parts when repairing a commercial airliner?

So why do some people vehemently oppose any attempts to protect the public from firearms in the hands of those who are unwilling or incapable to use them responsibly? Makes one wonder if they are gun runners and don't want the risk of exposure, or they fear they will be deemed mentally unfit to carry a firearm, or they have a psychotic dependence on having their gun ready for the boogey man.

As for regulating motor vehicles versus firearms, yes they both kill and maim. But motor vehicles are many times more an integral part of our economy and society than firearms. It wouldn't have near the adverse impact to outlaw private ownership of firearms than it would to outlaw the private ownership of motor vehicles. So if we accept traffic regulations for public safety reasons, firearm regulations for public safety reasons are also a desirable goverment function. Just my humble opinion for those of you who were unable to see that before.

Underage Drunk Driver Kills Five People On Way to Vegas
Posted on April 4, 2013 by Personal Injury Attorney Jean Ervin Soriano, 18, was arrested by Nevada Highway Patrol after driving drunk and causing a tragic accident that killed five Los Angeles County residents including one child.

Soriano was traveling on Interstate 15 early morning on Saturday, March 31st when he drove into the back of a minivan. The impact caused the van to spin our of control and flip over. Five of the seven occupants of the van were killed and two were in critical condition. The young driver informed law enforcement officials that he has been drinking beer before the car accident and according to his arrest report several empty bottles were found in his vehicle.

Genaro Fernandez, Raudel Fernandez-Avila, Belen Fernandez, Leonardo Fernandez-Avila and thirteen-year-old Angel Sandoval were killed as a result of Soriano’s gross negligence. The family members were all from Los Angeles County and had been on their way home from visiting a dying relative in Colorado.

Soriano and his 23-year-old passenger suffered minor injuries in the accident. Soriano was booked on seven counts of DUI and causing death or great bodily injury.

In California, drivers under the age of 21 need to have a blood alcohol content of 0.00% (no alcohol in their systems). Driving drunk exemplifies the utmost negligence towards others on the road. Our Los Angeles personal injury attorneys at Bergener & Associates fight tirelessly for victims of drunk driving. If you or a loved one has been injured or experienced a loss as a result of an auto accident, call us for a free consultation today at 1-800-881-2021.
This entry was posted in Auto Accident, Car Accident, News, Personal Injury Attorney, Wrongful Death and tagged Auto Accident, car accident, dui, Fernandez, Jean Soriano, los angeles county, los angeles personal injury lawyer, Nevada, wrongful death by Personal Injury Attorney. Bookmark the permalink.

Status
Not open for further replies.