Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

Default Re: Gun Control: This speaks for itself

But. politicalization is NOT completely inevitable. We can stick to facts, point out information's as you did, and be civil to each other. That works for me. The self defence stories you pointed to were rural and urban, young and old, on homes and businesses, provoked by knives, bats and guns, specific and reliably reported.

Where it goes bad is when people start making unfounded, deragatory, acusatory remarks about whole groups of people without qualification, Some people simply spew such unprovoked mass negativity without provocation.
    Last edited by texasjohn; 05-01-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Tractor
    ford 3000/1972

Guns do not kill People, a gun is just a tool that poeple use It should be called poeple cotroll once they learn to controll poeple they will have the answer but not until then.!!

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by kiotiken View Post
    Gun control is a controversial topic on both sides of the boarder. Regardless of what guns you are allowed to own, gun control should prevent children from owning guns and require safe storage of guns. I agree, this is mostly a parenting issue, but the laws set the situation up in the first place.
    What is the difference between a parent buying a gun with the intention of letting a kid using it and a parent buying a gun for that kid?
    How do you propose that a law requiring the safe storage of guns be enforced?

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad View Post
    Yes, it speaks that an adult left a loaded firearm unsupervised in a house with a 5 and 2 year old and a horrible tragedy happened.

I've also seen many stories about small kids running their siblings over with cars and the keys weren't even in some of them. Lets control car keys and cars.

And tragic back yard drowning deaths in 5 gallon buckets. Lets control buckets.

And dogs of all sizes and breeds mauling children, so lets control dogs.

And kids getting crushed by large TVs falling on them, so lets control large TVs.

This has absolutely nothing to do with gun control (and I favor background checks for all firearms sales and transfers). Its just a horrible, horrible tragedy that a family is going to have to live with for the rest of their lives. Every day in this country children are injured and/or killed in terrible household accidents that could be prevented with a little common sense and safety practices. This is not an incident to further one's agenda for gun control. Just my 2 cents.
    Well stated. You beat me to it.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

On a related note, I was at a friends house last week when they were having a birthday party for his 13 year old son. The son was given a nice (800FPS IIRC) BB gun by someone (grandparent?) and there were strict restrictions imposed as the wrapping paper came off.
    1. It is not a toy and it could kill/injure someone
    2. It gets stored in your parents bedroom
    3. No using it without an adult supervising
    4. If you are ever caught messing with it (ie: pointing it at someone, or otherwise being unsafe) it WILL be taken away and probably not returned
    IMO, those rules should be applied to any gun owned by a child/youth.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Quote Originally Posted by creekbend View Post
    Well stated. You beat me to it.
    BTW, I also think that Everyone should cut now all the trees on their Land. Kids have a tendency to climb trees. The trees in ALL public Parks should also be CUT down.

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by creekbend View Post
    BTW, I also think that Everyone should cut now all the trees on their Land. Kids have a tendency to climb trees. The trees in ALL public Parks should also be CUT down.
    Amen !
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Quote Originally Posted by MAN IN BLACK View Post
    I totally agree with you !
    I am a third generation farmer, and nobody in our family ever owned a fire arm !
    I'm 100% in favor of gun control
    Rest assured that I respect Your Beliefs, but I am curious. Are you saying that no one has ever hunted? What do you use to take care of Predators?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720

It would have prevented a 5 year old from owning a gun.
    It would prevent a 5 year old from using anybody elses gun.
    It would require any gun (with exception to the one on your person for CC holders) to be locked.

No you can't legislate stupidity, but you can make it clear what stupidity is, some people seem to need this help. It would then allow for an easy criminal prosecution in a situation like this.
    Just like drug control keeps people from having drugs! Perfect, why didn't anyone else think of that!

Drugs are stupid, but people still use them. This was a horrible tragedy, but no amount of laws would have kept it from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    On a related note, I was at a friends house last week when they were having a birthday party for his 13 year old son. The son was given a nice (800FPS IIRC) BB gun by someone (grandparent?) and there were strict restrictions imposed as the wrapping paper came off.
    1. It is not a toy and it could kill/injure someone
    2. It gets stored in your parents bedroom
    3. No using it without an adult supervising
    4. If you are ever caught messing with it (ie: pointing it at someone, or otherwise being unsafe) it WILL be taken away and probably not returned
    IMO, those rules should be applied to any gun owned by a child/youth.

Aaron Z
    Amen! I've always been around guns, and we were taught right from wrong for everything, including guns! I have a 4, 7, and 9 year old, and each has shot my .22 rifle. There has been strict rules and safety adhered to while shooting it. As they age, they will get to shoot the larger guns. Guns are tools that are no dangerous than tractors if used properly.

Tractor
    1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery

Marketing guns to children seems as bad as marketing cigarettes to children, but that's probably OK by some of you guys to.
    I told myself I wasn't going to post on this thread, but when this statement came across.....well.

I have never seen a gun marketed to children. Maybe you need to travel down and see for yourself. Until then, maybe you need to figuire out what you are claiming, before posting it. Claiming we are OK with what you claim is just showing your ignorance.

I've been good with a firearm since age 7, but they were not lying around the house. They were always under lock, if any other kids were over to visit, since they may not have had such training.

I don't think gun safes existed when my dad was a kid, but there were rifles and other guns around. None of the kids were harmed by a firearm either. Maybe knowing about them was the key.

It is one thing to respect the weapon, but some of the enighbors to the north seem to be AFRAID of them. I find that a bit odd. Just saying.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag.

If you're going to climb in the saddle, better be ready for the ride!

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours!" - Dolly Parton

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast