Gun Control: This speaks for itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Gun Control: This speaks for itself #71  
Nothing on TBN gets a bigger reaction than gun control. I'm always amazed that so many people see any and all gun control as unnecessary and dangerous. Well, I think this situation speaks for itself.

Toddler, five, accidentally kills two-year-old sister with

Remember, if the boy was taught how to use it properly it wouldn't have happened, also, the parents shouldnt have had it in reach and he should be supervised when using it, and as always, never point a firearm, loaded or unloaded, at anything unless you aim to kill it, and make sure you have something behind it to absorb the shot if you miss or it passes through. I'm 16 and I've known that all my life.

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #72  
All of our freedoms and priviledges are imbued with a significant element of personal responsibility; the greater that responsibility is adhered to, the greater their contribution to society.

YES. And part of the responsibility of the government is to keep firearms out of the hands of those individuals who are incapable of using the tool responsibly, so the rest of us can continue to enjoy the freedom.

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #73  
Don't see connection between an accident and gun control. What's your point? We don't stop flying because of a crash, we don't outlaw cars because of a drunk drivers, we certainty don't give our right to protect ourselves because of your video. Get real. Besides that no matter how "YOU feel" or what "YOU think" our right is protected and no court or legislature can chance that!

HS

HS

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #74  
When are we going to hold crappy parents responsible. Why must I have my rights infringed because people refuse to lock up their guns or recognize they have a child with a mental condition and they still give the kid guns like in Newtown. I don't have kids, but if I did I wouldn't leave my guns sitting around unlocked, just like I wouldn't store antifreeze in gatoraid containers in the refirdgerator...

Crappy parents are this nation's problem, their kids have no respect or disipline and they turn them loose on the rest of society. Don't get me wrong. that are tons of great kids out there, but the number of turds in the punchbowl is rising and it's due in large part to bad parenting.

Regards,.
Chris

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #75  
While the premise that a firearm is just a tool is valid, that doesn't mean everyone who advocates restrictions, like expanded background checks, is a dreaded "gun grabber." It is not a binary choice.

If you believe parents should control firearms in the home, the same concept applies to firearms in society in general. The government should take reasonable actions to keep firearms out of the hands of those adults who do not have the capacity to use them responsibly. That includes those with generally diminished mental capacity, those with antisocial personality disorders/criminals, and those with anger management issues.

We should be talking about how to identify those adults and how to insure their access is denied. Not quibling over the meaning of the Second Amendment and whether any restrictions violate the Constitution. Frankly, the Supreme Court has not addressed the concealed carry issue, and if we don't make some headway toward limiting access by the unfit, we may lose the right to concealed carry.

Just my opinion of where we are and the political realities of the day.

And just who decides this? Our court system? Because it surely isn't clogged up. That is a very slippery slope.

So, lets give an example. Your wife has a baby, afterwards she experienced postpartum depression so severe she seeks help. Possibly institutionalized. So now she is on record as having mental issues. Even though it is temporary she is marked. Does that put her in the "no gun" category???

There is no black and white on this issue. Too gray and too many variables.

Btw. That example is soon to be a reality in the great state of Maryland. Thanks O'malley. .

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #76  
Don't see connection between an accident and gun control. What's your point? We don't stop flying because of a crash, we don't outlaw cars because of a drunk drivers, we certainty don't give our right to protect ourselves because of your video. Get real. Besides that no matter how "YOU feel" or what "YOU think" our right is protected and no court or legislature can chance that!
HS

If you really think your right is "protected," how do you explain the number of people who say expanded background checks are a good idea. You post is just another example of the expression of a passionate position by a small minority. What you are running up against is the general awareness of the culture of violence in the USA.

Harry Bradford, and Howard Steven Friedman writing in the Huffington Post, and the Brady Campaign, and Washington Post provided detailed statistics regarding the firearms industry including the following:

The firearms industry created $31 billion in economic activity in 2011.
An estimated 270-300 million guns are owned by Americans
An estimated 45 million Americans own handguns
87% of the children killed in the 23 wealthiest nations were American
80% of the gun deaths in the 23 wealthiest nations were American
The U.S. ranks number 1 in the world in terms of guns owned per 100 people (at 88.8). In comparison, Canada is 114 and Sweden is 70.
Eleven of the 20 worst mass shootings in the advanced countries in the past 50 years took place in the United States.
The rate of gun-related deaths per 100,000 individuals in Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom is 0.1, 0.5, and 0.03, respectively. In the U.S., the overall rate is 2.98. And that overall rate doesn’t tell the full story. In some cities, the rates are five to ten times that number. The fatality rate in Los Angeles is 9.2, in Miami it’s 23.7 and in Detroit, Michigan the rate is a staggering 35.9 deaths per 100,000 residents. According to data assembled by the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (NCIJP), about 85 people in the U.S. are killed every day in firearm-related incidents.
Of the 34 countries in the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the countries with the five highest homicide rates are, in order: Mexico (highest), Chile, Estonia, the United States and Turkey (fifth highest).
On average in the U.S., 97,820 people are shot every year and approximately 268 every day.

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #77  
So, if we repeal all laws there will be no crime and everything will be hunky-dory.

That dog don't hunt.
Technically that would be true, as a crime is "against the or a/an law"

see the definition of "CRIME"

Noun

An action or omission that constitutes an offense that may be prosecuted by the state and is punishable by law.
Illegal activities: "the victims of crime".

SO Yes repealing all LAWS means there will be NO CRIME :)

I agree that the 5 yr old should not have had access it does not mean there needs to be more LAWS.

Killing someone with any tool is "Illegal" as is 100% of the CRIMES commented with guns or knifes or baseball bats. so any "Gun Control Laws" are fundamentally redundant. There are additional sentencing that does go along with GUN CRIME which is also fundamentally stupid as if someone killing a shop owner with a gun is being punished more for someone beating to death their spouse with a baseball bat... Murder is murder both crimes deserve the same type of punishment (think Biblical an Eye for an Eye) ;)

Not sure about you all but getting killed is getting killed, maybe slightly worse to have it done with a filet knife or golf club over a 12 ga shotgun tho..

Mark

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #78  
Where did anyone get the idea that some mental health official is or should be the gate keeper to our 2nd amendment rights. Not even sure about criminals, if you served your time I believe you payed your debt and was made whole again with full constitutional rights.

HS

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #79  
And just who decides this? Our court system? Because it surely isn't clogged up. That is a very slippery slope.
So, lets give an example. Your wife has a baby, afterwards she experienced postpartum depression so severe she seeks help. Possibly institutionalized. So now she is on record as having mental issues. Even though it is temporary she is marked. Does that put her in the "no gun" category???
There is no black and white on this issue. Too gray and too many variables.
Btw. That example is soon to be a reality in the great state of Maryland. Thanks O'malley. .

Your post demonstrates why we need to find some method of getting a handle on keeping guns out of the hands of the unfit. The political backlash is building, and the highly charged vocal minority is not helping to move in a direction that will stop the backlash.

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #80  
It's basically like cutting the roots of the tree to get it to fall. The anti gunners are finding so many indirect ways to push their agenda.

Ammo is scarce. The military grinds its brass under order. Where does it end?

Status
Not open for further replies.