Gun Control: This speaks for itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Gun Control: This speaks for itself #81  
Seems to me we'd go farther towards protecting children if we didn't allow people to procreate who are unfit to have them. Oh wait, that is somehow a "right" not a privilege even though it causes far more damage than all the other reasons children are hurt or killed combined. I guess the difference is what is politically popular.

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #82  
This is silly - what gun control do you propose would prevent this sort of thing - that doesn't already exist?? I grew up with my father being a federally licensed firearm dealer. We knew the rules AND the consequences at all times. The guns (and oh boy were there LOTS of them) were locked up in a safe and we never had an issue. Taking one bad parenting example and using it as an excuse to "control" guns is short-sighted at the absolute best. When I was 15, I stopped a violent home invasion at my parents' house with a 12 gauge (did not have to shoot, thankfully, just cycled the action.)

What we need is CRIMINAL control and gun EDUCATION. Currently, we don't have the latter. (And telling kids "guns are bad mmkay, just run away" is NOT education!)

Feel free to not exercise your right to own a gun - but DO NOT take mine away because you don't like it. The founding fathers put "shall not be infringed" in that amendment for a very valid reason.

The sad part here is that gun education is so poor that people often treat guns like they would kitchen appliances. However, while both the pro and anti gun crowd can agree that the sort of egregious failure in education that enables a five year old to accidentally kill his sister needs correction (or shooting a family friend's mother as in another very recent example), a big part of the problem is that the NRA wants to limit gun "education" to simply talking about keeping weapons locked up and training. Where is the NRA when it comes to educating the public about the overall risk of having a gun in the house? Does the NRA want to educate citizens about the fact that a gun in the house is far more likely to be used against a member of that household than against a home invader? Does the NRA want to talk about how the murder rate in high gun ownership states is substantially higher than in low gun ownership states, especially if you exclude the criminal v criminal killings in inner city drug wars. Where is the NRA on promoting legitimate prospective data collection and education on firearm use in domestic violence? How many wife/girlfriend murders are we going to tolerate so Joe Super Hero Home Defender can feel good about protecting his castle? Where is the NRA on promoting research into how many actual home invasions occur and how many are stopped by armed residents? The prosecutor in Texas and his wife didn't live very long after their home was invaded, what is the real data on whether guns have a net benefit or not? The NRA has worked very hard to make sure that CDC and FBI or ATF don't get involved in generating exactly that type of data. We have that type of data for seat belts and air bags, why can't we have it for guns? The 2nd Amendment thumpers need to address the real safety and education issues facing us if they really want to secure their firearm rights. Otherwise those supposed rights can be changed by just one or two new appointments to the Supreme Court.

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #83  
So, if we repeal all laws there will be no crime and everything will be hunky-dory.

That dog don't hunt.

That's not the point. More laws do not necessary reduce/prevent crimes. The criminal does not abide by the laws.

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #84  
The sad part here is that gun education is so poor that people often treat guns like they would kitchen appliances. However, while both the pro and anti gun crowd can agree that the sort of egregious failure in education that enables a five year old to accidentally kill his sister needs correction (or shooting a family friend's mother as in another very recent example), a big part of the problem is that the NRA wants to limit gun "education" to simply talking about keeping weapons locked up and training. Where is the NRA when it comes to educating the public about the overall risk of having a gun in the house? Does the NRA want to educate citizens about the fact that a gun in the house is far more likely to be used against a member of that household than against a home invader? Does the NRA want to talk about how the murder rate in high gun ownership states is substantially higher than in low gun ownership states, especially if you exclude the criminal v criminal killings in inner city drug wars. Where is the NRA on promoting legitimate prospective data collection and education on firearm use in domestic violence? How many wife/girlfriend murders are we going to tolerate so Joe Super Hero Home Defender can feel good about protecting his castle? Where is the NRA on promoting research into how many actual home invasions occur and how many are stopped by armed residents? The prosecutor in Texas and his wife didn't live very long after their home was invaded, what is the real data on whether guns have a net benefit or not? The NRA has worked very hard to make sure that CDC and FBI or ATF don't get involved in generating exactly that type of data. We have that type of data for seat belts and air bags, why can't we have it for guns? The 2nd Amendment thumpers need to address the real safety and education issues facing us if they really want to secure their firearm rights. Otherwise those supposed rights can be changed by just one or two new appointments to the Supreme Court.

Been down this road before, one person's "facts" are another person's "opinion". I won't copy and paste it again, but here is a link.

TEN MYTHS ABOUT GUN CONTROL

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #85  
Seems to me we'd go farther towards protecting children if we didn't allow people to procreate who are unfit to have them. Oh wait, that is somehow a "right" not a privilege even though it causes far more damage than all the other reasons children are hurt or killed combined. I guess the difference is what is politically popular.
I have several questions. How would you recommend deciding and choosing the "Governing Body" that would make the decisions of implementing and carrying out the Proposal that you suggested in your post.One word of advice that should be a prerequisite of the Members chosen for this "Governing Body", they should study the eradication policies that were exercised by ******, STALIN, and MAO? Or perhaps they could learn from the Sterilization program carried out in America until the late 50's and early 60's? Hopefully, you Jest? If you were not joking, then with that type of Narcissistic beliefs, do you liken yourself to a "DEITY" that has the power over LIFE and be both the "Judge and Jury" relating to your suggestion?

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #86  
Been down this road before, one person's "facts" are another person's "opinion". I won't copy and paste it again, but here is a link.

That is a puff piece that doesn't seriously address most of the issues. For example, the point most relevant in your linked article to the point I made regarding guns in homes resulting in more deaths of homeowners than criminals is the following headline "MYTH 3:"Since a gun in a home is many times more likely to kill a family member than to stop a criminal, armed citizens are not a deterrent to crime." That headline and the rambling text that follows simply doesn't address the issue. I never said guns in homes do or don't deter crime, I said simply that the home dwellers are more likely to be killed by gunfire with their own weapon than by that of a criminal. We have fewer firearm and total homicide victims per 100,000 population in MA than in almost any other state except Hawaii and we have fewer guns in homes than any other state except Hawaii. It is not just the lower homicide rate at the hands of armed criminals. Suicide is higher in homes with guns. Murder of domestic partners is more common in homes with guns. Accidental deaths via firearm are also obviously higher. What the gun enthusiasts need to show is that there would be even more deaths if there were not guns in the home. They cannot do that because 1) there is no such data as far as I know, 2) one reason that there is not data on that subject is that the NRA works very hard to prevent the government (CDC in particular) from studying the issue, 3) NRA does not itself fund any studies on the matter. I wonder why NRA works so hard to prevent careful epidemiologic studies on this topic from being done? This is not an "anti gun" argument. It is a simple "does it work?" argument. If the main reason you have a gun in the house is to protect your family, wouldn't you like to know the data on whether your family is more likely to benefit or be harmed by having a firearm in the house? Simple question. We can show the data on seat belts. We can show the data on air bags. Why can't we allow the public to have access to equivalent unbiased data on firearms in the home????

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #87  

I've said it before...the NRA has 6 million members. They get way too much credit/blame for defense of a constitutional right.

I shake my head a lot on the mixing of statistics only related by coincidence (e.g. murder rates in high gun ownership states (which I doubt is accurate anyway...just ask the Governor of North Dakota)??? Let's move to Illinois and the Chicago problem...those guns don't even count in the measure of gun ownership because none are purchased through any supply chain that could count them).

Lies/D**n lies/Statistics in declining order of truth.

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #88  
I've said it before...the NRA has 6 million members. They get way too much credit/blame for defense of a constitutional right.

I shake my head a lot on the mixing of statistics only related by coincidence (e.g. murder rates in high gun ownership states (which I doubt is accurate anyway...just ask the Governor of North Dakota)??? Let's move to Illinois and the Chicago problem...those guns don't even count in the measure of gun ownership because none are purchased through any supply chain that could count them).

Lies/D**n lies/Statistics in declining order of truth.

Look up the FBI data on murder rates and gun ownership by state. Clear as day. Sure there are some states like ND where guns are high and murder is relatively low but the highest murder and death by firearm rates are virtually all in Southern states with high gun ownership rates. It is hardly shocking that the last couple of reported accidental deaths caused by young boys were in the south.

Chicago is a red herring as are Newark and Detroit etc. Those are drug dealers and punks willingly engaged in turf battles and retribution from which innocent bystanders occasionally become sad victims. Those innocents were not threatened with guns and if they had guns would not have been able to protect themselves from stray shots.

/ Gun Control: This speaks for itself #89  
   / Gun Control: This speaks for itself #90  
You only hear about "car accidents","plane crashes,ship sinkings,hunting accidents ect. in the news,not the miles driven without accidents,the safe plane landings,safe ship passage,or thousands of hours hunting with no one hurt.
This thread started because some moron gave a five year old a real gun that looked like a toy..... and a death resulted.We just had a five year old drown(and his rescurer) from a fishing trip to a class 4 white water river,what kind of fool would take a five year old any-where near water like that,at the least put a life preserver on him.
Both cases the "ADULTS" were not responsible for their own children.

Status
Not open for further replies.