Field Corn - What Happened???

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #11  
You have to be careful that it wasn't treated with anything to help it germinate!
Go to the local feed store & buy a 50lb bag of regular feed corn. Plant what you need & feed the the rest to the animals. I have planted this for food plots & it works just fine.

Why would feed corn be treated with anything to enhance germination?

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #12  
Ive never seen a bag of seed corn that was not treated. And i have quite a few thousand bags of field corn.

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #13  
If you get birdseed, it will not be treated.

However, corn is often mixed with other things. But, you might get some. A larger feed supplier should have it, especially if they make their own feed.

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #14  
Stop by and see if a farmer has some left over from his plantings,when they change varieties,they empty planter and often have open bags.

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #15  
Farmerboy,

You could also go buy a 50lb bag of whole kernal corn for 12 bucks and plant that.. and feed the excess to the ducks.... This is of course if you don't plan on eating any of the corn....

Regards,
Chris

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #17  
Not feed corn, seed corn, to reduce disease in the seedlings and to kill rodents who eat it. Almost all seed corn is treated with poisons.

Exactly. There have been some international disasters where treated seeds, with warnings in some other language than is spoken locally, was used as food. The poisons are why the dealers can't sell the seed if it's not in the original packaging.

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #18  
Exactly. There have been some international disasters where treated seeds, with warnings in some other language than is spoken locally, was used as food. The poisons are why the dealers can't sell the seed if it's not in the original packaging.

What about sweet corn? It has the same pink coating & in my area is sold by the lb from buckets. No original labels & no type of warnings about the coating.

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #19  
Just go buy a bag of DEER CORN, it will grow just as well and is no different other than contains some cracked seed. (just over seed it to make up for non viable seed.)

Otherwise ya might look at local equity or a neighbor farmer for a small donation to his beer fund.

Mark

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #20  
Forget about the feed. Let's talk about raising ducks! I ordered duck in a restaurant a few weeks ago and became a fan (it was better than a great meal). Looking at the local supermarkets, I see frozen ducks price out at $4/lb!!!