Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7060

Default Field Corn - What Happened???

I'll make this short....

My daughter got six baby ducks for Easter. My wife and daughter got the idea that we would raise a small plot of field corn (150-feet by 50-feet) for feed during the winter. I know, I know, it would likely be easier to just go and buy the corn already shelled. But, we wanted to have the pride of raising our own.

So.....I went into the local feed & seed and discovered that the smallest bag of field corn seed I could purchase was 50-pounds, and was somewhere around $220 and would plant 3 acres. My face was like this -

I go into the second store, find out that a non-round up ready bag will run me somewhere around $130, and would still be the 50-pound bag. I thanked the owner for his time, explained my situation, and then asked if he knew of anywhere I could just buy 5 pounds. He then told me, BY LAW, he couldn't separate the bag, and that he didn't know of anywhere to purchase the seed in such a small quantity.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I swear that when I was a kid, you could go into the local feed & seed and purchase field corn by the pound/ounce out of an old wood box, with a metal scoop, and an old scale.

What happened in the past 30 years that the sale of corn seed is now regulated by law? I LOVE America. Live on a farm. Fly the flag everyday. But when I heard that, I was completely shocked and disappointed.

I'm just going to ask my neigbor (a corn farmer) if he'll sell me 5 pounds of seed.

Obviously I've gotten lost in the past somewhere, but is anyone else floored by this?

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800 w/1600 hrs., Case Farmall 95 w/800 hrs., Long 2510 w/1100 hrs, Cat 236B2 Skidsteer w/1000 hrs

Go to the local feed store & buy a 50lb bag of regular feed corn. Plant what you need & feed the the rest to the animals. I have planted this for food plots & it works just fine.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs

Default Re: Field Corn - What Happened???

Quote Originally Posted by Timm250 View Post
    Go to the local feed store & buy a 50lb bag of regular feed corn. Plant what you need & feed the the rest to the animals. I have planted this for food plots & it works just fine.
    That sounds like an excellent idea. Unless, the corn police come out and decide you've planted round up ready corn.
    http://nelsonfarm.net/issue.htm

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    1710 Ford

Just plant it thicker than normal as some will not germinate.

Tractor
    1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery

I think R H Shumway has the yellow dent field corn. I actually think it taste better than the sweet corn. More flavor, and less sweet. It is NOT GMO, as Shumway does not sell GMO.

Garden Seed | Vegetable Garden Seed | Garden Seed Catalog | Garden Seed Company | R.H. Shumway's
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag.

If you're going to climb in the saddle, better be ready for the ride!

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours!" - Dolly Parton

Tractor
    new holland tn70

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerboy View Post
    I'll make this short....

My daughter got six baby ducks for Easter. My wife and daughter got the idea that we would raise a small plot of field corn (150-feet by 50-feet) for feed during the winter. I know, I know, it would likely be easier to just go and buy the corn already shelled. But, we wanted to have the pride of raising our own.

So.....I went into the local feed & seed and discovered that the smallest bag of field corn seed I could purchase was 50-pounds, and was somewhere around $220 and would plant 3 acres. My face was like this -

I go into the second store, find out that a non-round up ready bag will run me somewhere around $130, and would still be the 50-pound bag. I thanked the owner for his time, explained my situation, and then asked if he knew of anywhere I could just buy 5 pounds. He then told me, BY LAW, he couldn't separate the bag, and that he didn't know of anywhere to purchase the seed in such a small quantity.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I swear that when I was a kid, you could go into the local feed & seed and purchase field corn by the pound/ounce out of an old wood box, with a metal scoop, and an old scale.

What happened in the past 30 years that the sale of corn seed is now regulated by law? I LOVE America. Live on a farm. Fly the flag everyday. But when I heard that, I was completely shocked and disappointed.

I'm just going to ask my neigbor (a corn farmer) if he'll sell me 5 pounds of seed.

Obviously I've gotten lost in the past somewhere, but is anyone else floored by this?
    don't you know now days [you don't feed corn to nothing but your vehicle]

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Quote Originally Posted by sam5570 View Post
    don't you know now days [you don't feed corn to nothing but your vehicle]
    no kidding.........
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM186d,John Deere 1050, Case 211B

You can buy Reids's yellow dent on Ebay-best buy I saw was 10# for $30
    JD1050,YM186D,Case211B,Homemade- sawmill & log splitter & log hauling arch trailer
    JD14T,Ford 532 balers,
    AC 80-R3,Ford 501 sickle mowers
    2.1 KW Off-grid Solar System and growing

Veteran Member

You have to be careful that it wasn't treated with anything to help it germinate!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast