Field Corn - What Happened???

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #1  

Farmerboy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 85 / Ventrac 4500P
I'll make this short....

My daughter got six baby ducks for Easter. My wife and daughter got the idea that we would raise a small plot of field corn (150-feet by 50-feet) for feed during the winter. I know, I know, it would likely be easier to just go and buy the corn already shelled. But, we wanted to have the pride of raising our own.

So.....I went into the local feed & seed and discovered that the smallest bag of field corn seed I could purchase was 50-pounds, and was somewhere around $220 and would plant 3 acres. My face was like this - :eek:

I go into the second store, find out that a non-round up ready bag will run me somewhere around $130, and would still be the 50-pound bag. I thanked the owner for his time, explained my situation, and then asked if he knew of anywhere I could just buy 5 pounds. He then told me, BY LAW, he couldn't separate the bag, and that he didn't know of anywhere to purchase the seed in such a small quantity.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I swear that when I was a kid, you could go into the local feed & seed and purchase field corn by the pound/ounce out of an old wood box, with a metal scoop, and an old scale.

What happened in the past 30 years that the sale of corn seed is now regulated by law? I LOVE America. Live on a farm. Fly the flag everyday. But when I heard that, I was completely shocked and disappointed.

I'm just going to ask my neigbor (a corn farmer) if he'll sell me 5 pounds of seed.

Obviously I've gotten lost in the past somewhere, but is anyone else floored by this?

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #3  
Go to the local feed store & buy a 50lb bag of regular feed corn. Plant what you need & feed the the rest to the animals. I have planted this for food plots & it works just fine.

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #4  
Go to the local feed store & buy a 50lb bag of regular feed corn. Plant what you need & feed the the rest to the animals. I have planted this for food plots & it works just fine.

That sounds like an excellent idea. Unless, the corn police come out and decide you've planted round up ready corn.
http://nelsonfarm.net/issue.htm

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #5  

Just plant it thicker than normal as some will not germinate.

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #7  
I'll make this short....

My daughter got six baby ducks for Easter. My wife and daughter got the idea that we would raise a small plot of field corn (150-feet by 50-feet) for feed during the winter. I know, I know, it would likely be easier to just go and buy the corn already shelled. But, we wanted to have the pride of raising our own.

So.....I went into the local feed & seed and discovered that the smallest bag of field corn seed I could purchase was 50-pounds, and was somewhere around $220 and would plant 3 acres. My face was like this - :eek:

I go into the second store, find out that a non-round up ready bag will run me somewhere around $130, and would still be the 50-pound bag. I thanked the owner for his time, explained my situation, and then asked if he knew of anywhere I could just buy 5 pounds. He then told me, BY LAW, he couldn't separate the bag, and that he didn't know of anywhere to purchase the seed in such a small quantity.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I swear that when I was a kid, you could go into the local feed & seed and purchase field corn by the pound/ounce out of an old wood box, with a metal scoop, and an old scale.

What happened in the past 30 years that the sale of corn seed is now regulated by law? I LOVE America. Live on a farm. Fly the flag everyday. But when I heard that, I was completely shocked and disappointed.

I'm just going to ask my neigbor (a corn farmer) if he'll sell me 5 pounds of seed.

Obviously I've gotten lost in the past somewhere, but is anyone else floored by this?
don't you know now days [you don't feed corn to nothing but your vehicle]:(

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #9  
You can buy Reids's yellow dent on Ebay-best buy I saw was 10# for $30

/ Field Corn - What Happened??? #10  

You have to be careful that it wasn't treated with anything to help it germinate!