Ammo Reloding Bench?

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #11  
Hiya,

I've built a few benches for people after they see mine. I build them for standing height for the user. I make a 2x6 box the length required with studs every foot, lag it to the wall in at least 4 places, marry step 2x4's for the legs, 2x4 and 2x6's glued and screwed to the box top for the subtop, cabinet grade birch or maple 21/32 sheeting for the top layer glued and countersunk screwed down.

To mount the presses, I use Dillon/RCBS strong mounts bolted to 2x2 3/4" maple cabinet sheeting. I have a oak 2x2 rail against the wall and the sheet fits under that and I clamp it on the front edge. This way I can clear the bench top for various projects when needed.

I'll try to get a pic or 2 and post them later,

Tom

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #12  
All my work and reloading benches are standing height and I have bar stools around for when I want to lean or sit.

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #13  
I have one that I built and another bench that I "re-purposed." The used bench is about a 8' section of bottom kitchen cabinets. They work great. The bench that I built is the same height, but has a doubled plywood top with a little more overhang. Both have doors and shelves for storage. Both are very cluttered, too. :D

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #14  
I build my self a couple benches now. My most recent houses my rcbs jr 2 and rock chucker. I made mine from scrap wood the last few time. Its mainly 2x4s from my reno project. Ill post some pictures tomorrow tomorrow for you to have a look.

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #15  
Mine is a steel framed, wood topped work bench from Sears. It's standing height, but I have an adjustable height stool that I use for metallic reloading. For some reason I prefer to stand when loading shotshells on my Mec 9000.

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #16  
For years I've been using a closet in the spare bedroom for reloading. As another TBNer mentioned, I lag 2x4s to the side and back wall of the closet, then lay a double layer of particle board down and screw them to the 2x4s. A size of around 2'x4' works well for me. Last time I did this the top sheet had a layer of melamine on it, and it made a nice white working surface. I use a piece of water pipe, threaded on both ends into flanges, to support the outside corner. It gets screwed to the underside of the particle board, then lagged down through the carpet into the floor. I have an RCBS Rockchucker, and even when resizing magnum rifle brass, the bench doesn't move at all. Imperial Sizing Die Wax really helps, too. I made up a set of shelves that run across the back of the bench, and I store components and dies in it. The short wall gets a piece of pegboard, useful for shell holders and the kinetic bullet puller. My chair has a back to it and is bar stool height. That lets me sit most of the time, but I can stand comfortably when extra muscle is needed at the press. Last time I had an old drawer laying around, so I mounted a pair of "L" shaped cleats under the bench and screwed a couple of appropriately sized sticks to the outside top of the drawer to act as rails. I keep pens and paper, my log book, felt tip markers (useful for coloring primers), and small tools in the drawer. I've always just drilled holes in the bench top and bolted my press in place. I don't do any other work on the reloading bench, just like I don't allow any distractions into the room while I'm reloading. When I'm done, I can slide the closet doors shut so the room looks "normal". And when I've moved, the bench comes apart in a few minutes and a bit of spackle and paint fixes up the wall. I use my fingers to fluff up the carpet and the holes disappear.

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #17  
I have 3 steel frame benches on casters. I roll them to where I want to reload. Mostly while watching tv. The only time I watch tv.
I don't know how you can watch TV and reload. It takes all my concentration to keep everything working on my auto progressive press. It might be possible to watch tv and reload on a singe stage press as it would become automatic with 500-1000 repetitions doing the same thing over and over.

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #18  
I don't know how you can watch TV and reload. It takes all my concentration to keep everything working on my auto progressive press. It might be possible to watch tv and reload on a singe stage press as it would become automatic with 500-1000 repetitions doing the same thing over and over.

Everyone can do as they like, but for me, I don't need any distractions at all while reloading.. Reloading requires all of my little pea brain to make sure that I don't do something stupid.

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #19  
I can seat primers using my hand held seater, but only reloading when I am doing the other procedures. I will have the radio on, but that's it. I find reloading to be relaxing, mostly because I think of nothing else.

Will

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #20  
I found this bench at a garage sale years ago, Added some shelves for storage.