Ammo Reloding Bench?

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #1  

Ted Summey

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100F IH McCormick Farmall 140, Massey Ferguson 135
I've been hand reloading for years at a table. I have upgraded to a RCBS single stage press.

What type of bench do you have your press/presses mounted on? Is it chair height or a standing bench? Will a chair height bench work?

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #2  
I build an L shaped bench with cabinets and storage bins mounted above, it is chair height works great. I would post a picture but its to messy and cluttered! I have to clean and straighten it up.

/ Ammo Reloding Bench?
Thanks for the reply. I am considering a HF wooden work bench. It looks to be chair height.

I will likely install a pegboard back that can hold bins for bullets, primers and cases. It will have to be mobile because the current spot is temporary.

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #4  
I have only used chair height benches, mine and my uncles and prefer them. My last one is one m sons bought me from Lowes, nothing special just enough room for stuff and three loaders.

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #5  
Chair height for me. You want to build as heavy constructed bench as you can. Also good to fasten it to the wall/and or floor if you can. You just don't want it to move as you put some pretty good torque on the bench at times.

James K0UA

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #6  
Mine is chair height and super heavy built in a corner in my man room. L shaped. I ran a 2x4 all the way around the wall, fastened it to every stud. Then made "joist" if you wanna call em that spaced 1 ft apart. Ran another 2x4 around the front side. Put a leg to the floor at each end and in the center. Topped it with 3/4 inch birch plywood. It doesnt move at all.

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #8  
Mine is "stool height". That way it is easy to stand up in case you need some extra leverage.

All my many reloading tools are mounted to 2x6 boards. A "C" clamp at each end holds whichever one is being used to the workbench quite securely. Then, when not reloading, the workbench is freed up for other tasks.

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #9  
I have 3 steel frame benches on casters. I roll them to where I want to reload. Mostly while watching tv. The only time I watch tv.

/ Ammo Reloding Bench? #10  
I like mine at chair height, using a surplus office chair with rollers (and adjustable height) and no armrests.

A solid core door makes a pretty good bench, usually found pretty cheap at Habitat for Humanity ReStores (also other goodwill type stores that sell building materials). You can cut it down to your preferred size and if framed in well, is plenty solid enough to reload on.

Just make it bigger than you think you'll need, cause at some point, you'll need it.

If it has to be mobile, make the frame as solid as possible, or at least put a couple of screws through the frame into a stud.