Snake Farm...

/ Snake Farm... #1  

Rayster

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 w/LA524
So I have been finding these little guys everywhere, and it's head was not triangular enough for me to think it was a viper. So I left it be, weeks later I find the (second pic) a fellow resting on a ledge. So I take a photo and catch it. Again no yellow tip of tail and no triangular head. So I have a buddy that works at the Springfield Zoo. He tells me it's a rat snake, and asks how many I have seen. I tell him "a lot", and he proceeds to tell me mama will be 4-6 feet and black. Not venomous but can be scary. So I figure the nest is somewhere close.

1snake.jpg2snake.jpg3snake.jpg

I let 'em go, because I don't care to have cats and this is the ultimate mouser. So I'm wondering how your snake population fares?

Remember that song by Ray Wylie Hubbard...

/ Snake Farm... #2  
Count me out...I'm part of the population that has an unfounded (or founded) fear of snakes....if I see one around me, it's a gonner (so far). That's been 8-10 times in my life (46), but yeah, not a snake lover.

/ Snake Farm... #3  
I'm with J F! Keep them darn things away from me!

/ Snake Farm... #4  
Thats a good snake to have around! I have had many snakes over the years and their is a reason they call them "Rat snakes":thumbsup: generally a fair natured snake too, but will rattle it's tail if startled and give the false impression of a rattler to a "novice". I'm betting "mama" is long gone by now.

1st Photo looks more like the Midland Mudsnake

/ Snake Farm... #5  
I leave them alone but the chickens give 'em heck. The Ratlesnakes is a different story. There out-a-here!!

/ Snake Farm... #6  
Yep, Rat snake and a full size one can scare the bejasus out of you if just walk up on it! 99% of the time they'll be trying their best to get as far away from you as you are getting away from them, but when they're cornered and don't have anyplace to go, they can look pretty impressive to the faint hearted. (I'm one of them, I admit)
But in the long run, I'd rather have them than have mice and rats all over the place, at least the snakes aren't destructive.

I don't care where they go or what they do while they're down on the farm, but the wife goes nut when she sees any snake in the yard, so I've been using some stuff from Woodstream that seems to do a pretty good job at keeping them away from the house and yard. I say it does a pretty good job because since I've been using it, I haven't seen any snakes in our yard, but I have seen quite a few in the yard next door, which I own and mow. Even if it didn't work, the wife thinks it does and that's the end result that counts. I usually buy 8 pounds every year when I find it on sale and that's more than enough for my yard.

/ Snake Farm... #7  
We only really get garter snakes here. I don't see many but wish we had more. I like snakes being around. (BUT, we don't have any venemous snakes here)

/ Snake Farm... #8  
Beautiful snakes...Rat and Corn. Good to keep them around to destroy ALL MICE........ALL MICE MUST DIE:laughing:

/ Snake Farm... #9  
Idon't mind a snake as long as he introduces himself before I come across it .

/ Snake Farm... #10  
Idon't mind a snake as long as he introduces himself before I come across it .

I agree about the letting you know they are around....to bad they do not wear a bell or something?? More of them might live longer!:D