Buttercups in pasture

/ Buttercups in pasture #1  

jack43

Tractor
john deere 4520
Good moring. Just wondering if anyone would have any ideas on getting rid of buttercups in horse pasture and future cow pasture without killing good stand of clover.wondering if wicking would work? Has any one tryed this or any thing else.Thanks, Have really got a lot of info on this site. Jack

/ Buttercups in pasture #3  
I am battling buttercups for the last two years. I did a small experiment last year and mowed about a ten acre swath a few times more so than the haying area.

This year, it has a LOT less weeds and buttercups than the haying areas.

I may opt to mow more this year, as I feel it's better than chemicals.

/ Buttercups in pasture
Thanks for the responce,I have had my soil tested { need 1 1/2 tons per acre,have not done yet,waiting for it to dry a little. Riptides,I will try cutting more often,I have cut once last week,they where back up the next day.People going down the road say how pretty they are:thumbdown: Thanks again, Jack

/ Buttercups in pasture #6  
I had a huge spring buttercup problem in my pasture for the last 6-7 years. The hay field just across the fence had very few buttercups. I would spray the solid patches of buttercups with 2-4 D (a few were the size of a car and many were the size of a pallet). It worked OK but I was always fighting them- every spring. Last spring, we got rid of the old horse and cow (no more livestock) so I just clipped the pasture a few times in the summer/fall to keep the weeds from going to seed.

This spring- hardly any buttercups (the grass seems to have choked them out). So, my belief is that buttercups are a sign of overgrazing (not enough grass to choke/shade them out).

Maybe you could try rotational grazing in the fall and let the grass in that area grow a little higher going into the winter. For now mowing and careful spot 2,4 D applications to spare your clover may be your only options.