Steam Powered Box Factory

/ Steam Powered Box Factory #11  
That is interesting. Quite a collection of old machinery. I'm pretty sure I know how the dog lost its tail. :laughing: The guy with the long hair around those belts does make me nervous.

I think the "guy" with the long hair is actually a gal. I agree he/she should have the hair put up and out of the way; the consequences could be disastrous.

/ Steam Powered Box Factory #12  
I think the "guy" with the long hair is actually a gal. I agree he/she should have the hair put up and out of the way; the consequences could be disastrous.

I think you are right, I looked again and there's no five-o'clock shadow on those cheeks. :laughing:

/ Steam Powered Box Factory #13  
Really enjoyed the video, when I first went to work in SE Missouri in the 70's there were still some steam powered saw mills and cotton compresses. I had to go into them regularly and it sure could get scary at times. The Gideon Anderson Box Factory had converted to electric by that time, but was once steam powered. They were in a company town and had their own forests, rail ways, power plant etc., so they went from trees to wooden boxes. Imports put them out of business many years ago.

/ Steam Powered Box Factory #14  
Pretty cool! If anyone gets a chance, check out the water powered machines in Lowell, Mass.

That is a good, balanced write-up. Those old mills made a lot of money in their day, and employed a lot of people. Many of the mill buildings now are being converted to housing, business space, etc.

The hundreds and hundreds of dams in the New England rivers are slowly coming down for fish restoration purposes. Some think that is the ultimate key to rebuilding the Gulf of Maine ocean fisheries. It sounds reasonable that much of the feeder fish the ocean fish rely on, spawn in the rivers--if they can get to their spawning grounds.

/ Steam Powered Box Factory
Really enjoyed the video, when I first went to work in SE Missouri in the 70's there were still some steam powered saw mills and cotton compresses. I had to go into them regularly and it sure could get scary at times. The Gideon Anderson Box Factory had converted to electric by that time, but was once steam powered. They were in a company town and had their own forests, rail ways, power plant etc., so they went from trees to wooden boxes. Imports put them out of business many years ago.

When I was a kid, back in the late 40's we lived in S.W. Missouri. We used to fish at an old grist mill, as I recall, the name of which was the "Jolly Mill". Seems like it was around Monett, but not sure. I believe it was still in operation at the time, and the Rainbow Trout were big, beautiful and hungry. Even as a little kid, I thought it was picturesque...and I caught the family record rainbow there on a little willow pole and a big ol' yellow grasshopper.

/ Steam Powered Box Factory #16  
When I was a kid, back in the late 40's we lived in S.W. Missouri. We used to fish at an old grist mill, as I recall, the name of which was the "Jolly Mill". Seems like it was around Monett, but not sure. I believe it was still in operation at the time, and the Rainbow Trout were big, beautiful and hungry. Even as a little kid, I thought it was picturesque...and I caught the family record rainbow there on a little willow pole and a big ol' yellow grasshopper.

Sounds a lot like this one not too far from me. It sat idle for years deteriorating until it was restored. My son has pictures of one that wasn't and it's a real shame.